Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Renntech Exhaust EVM

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2019, 12:19 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
2019 E63s
I went ahead and ordered the Renntech EVM with the Black Friday discount and was attempting to install it today. The instructions are really no help, kinda vague to the w213. I’ve been looking for the rubber seal to run the wires through but I cannot locate it. Maybe I haven’t removed enough trunk trim or the trim in the correct area. Did anyone install themselves that can offer a few tips. Thank you.
The following users liked this post:
Michael Khan (11-30-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 06:04 PM

Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts
Empty
Originally Posted by bb85
I went ahead and ordered the Renntech EVM with the Black Friday discount and was attempting to install it today. The instructions are really no help, kinda vague to the w213. I’ve been looking for the rubber seal to run the wires through but I cannot locate it. Maybe I haven’t removed enough trunk trim or the trim in the correct area. Did anyone install themselves that can offer a few tips. Thank you.
The rubber seal in my 2018 was in the trunk facing toward the front of the car. You run it through there and then it is a pretty easy connection underneath the car to the exhaust valves.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:59 PM

2019 E63s
Unfortunately I will have to have a shop do it. I see one rubber plug on the right side of the trunk area with wires running through it. Underneath I cannot find where they are exiting and running due to the heat shield. Was hoping to have it installed with out paying a shop.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:08 AM

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
2018 E63S
Unfortunately I will have to have a shop do it. I see one rubber plug on the right side of the trunk area with wires running through it. Underneath I cannot find where they are exiting and running due to the heat shield. Was hoping to have it installed with out paying a shop.
A friend got one and I installed it for him. It's really easy. There are two access doors on the rearward right side of the trunk. The rubber plug is behind the one behind the right rear tail light. You do not need to take apart any of the trunk lining. Just open the compartment door and the plug is towards the bottom. You will need to push the plug out, rather than pull it out towards the trunk compartment because of the way it is installed. Basically, the thicker portion of the flange is on the outside which makes it easier to push the plug out. I let it fall down between the body and bumper skin and retrieved it next to the heat shield by the muffler. Cut an "X" in the center to route the wires though. I then put the plug back in from inside the trunk (the plug now is installed from the other direction). Then you route the wires (short one to the right muffler and long one to the left muffler (zip tie wires away from the heat shield and from sharp edges). The exhaust valve plugs have a white/gray tab that needs to be pulled back to release the connector. I used a small flat head to slide it back to unlock the connector. The rest is straight forward. Let me know if you have any questions.

M177_HAMMER (09-25-2020)
Old 12-06-2019, 05:26 PM

2019 E63s
Originally Posted by BC-2
A friend got one and I installed it for him. It's really easy. There are two access doors on the rearward right side of the trunk. The rubber plug is behind the one behind the right rear tail light. You do not need to take apart any of the trunk lining. Just open the compartment door and the plug is towards the bottom. You will need to push the plug out, rather than pull it out towards the trunk compartment because of the way it is installed. Basically, the thicker portion of the flange is on the outside which makes it easier to push the plug out. I let it fall down between the body and bumper skin and retrieved it next to the heat shield by the muffler. Cut an "X" in the center to route the wires though. I then put the plug back in from inside the trunk (the plug now is installed from the other direction). Then you route the wires (short one to the right muffler and long one to the left muffler (zip tie wires away from the heat shield and from sharp edges). The exhaust valve plugs have a white/gray tab that needs to be pulled back to release the connector. I used a small flat head to slide it back to unlock the connector. The rest is straight forward. Let me know if you have any questions.
BC-2 thank you so much for this! I used that plug and was able to run the wires down. Small work space around the valves, but I got it done. It took me roughly 40 mins. For now I have the control box hanging just inside the trunk till I find a better place to mount it. Expensive part for the sound but I think it’s worth it for the fun factor. Thank you again.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2020 E63s Wagon
Since there are no directions for the wagon I did this... pull all the trunk trays out. Almost in the middle of the back there is a rubber grommet. Pull that out a few inches and carefully slice it so you can pull the long plug through from the module end (after disconnecting it from the renntech module). Then from underneath the car simply route the new wires back to the rear exhaust flap modules and tie wrap them later. Unplug the existing connectors to the exhaust flaps (there are little white tabs you need to release first and these plugs are the hardest part of the job). Once unplugged, plug the new renntech plugs to the exhaust flap modules and plug the old factory plugs to the other renntech connectors.

Last edited by kinglenario; 12-07-2019 at 04:21 PM.
Pbl1 (05-14-2021)
Old 12-07-2019, 07:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2020 E63s Wagon
Here are a few notes about driving after it’s installed. Comfort mode is louder for sure but is still mellow enough to use all the time. But it’s still not nearly as loud as sport+. I’m not sure I believe this opens ALL the flaps all the time. Maybe just the back two. Because sport+ is still MUCH louder than comfort or sport. Also Sport+ is louder at idle with the module as well but it sounds the same under load.

You’ll really want the remote if you use comfort mode on the highway because when the car switches to 4cyl mode it sounds really weird at 75-80mph. Like you’re driving over a small rumble strip. Closing the module with the remote makes it go right away.

Overall I think it’s worth it. It mostly makes chill driving more rumbly. I don’t think it does anything in Sport+ but make the idle louder. The sound in comfort is really nice with the module on.

Its also awesome to start the car from inside the house with the app and switch the exhaust valves on and off with the spare remote lol. Does everybody know about the “angry start”. Hold the left paddle, press and hold brake then start button. Huge growl starting.

Last edited by kinglenario; 12-07-2019 at 07:34 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by kinglenario:
E63_GG (12-30-2020), Sushisean (10-07-2021)
Old 12-07-2019, 07:36 PM

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
2018 E63S
BC-2 thank you so much for this! I used that plug and was able to run the wires down. Small work space around the valves, but I got it done. It took me roughly 40 mins. For now I have the control box hanging just inside the trunk till I find a better place to mount it. Expensive part for the sound but I think it’s worth it for the fun factor. Thank you again.
You’re welcome, glad to help. Definitely an easy DIY.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63S Coupe
Hey guys! I am planning to get an EVM as well but still have a question. Hope I can get some help here.
I understand that EVM opens the flaps fully. Does this mean when the EVM is activated (open), OEM exhaust button in the interior won't make any difference since the flaps are fully open already anyway?
Say EVM is on and the car is in C mode. Will the sound be different when changing between OEM exhaust valves open/close?
Thank you all in advance!
Old 09-23-2020, 11:22 PM

Empty
Originally Posted by lucaollins
Hey guys! I am planning to get an EVM as well but still have a question. Hope I can get some help here.
I understand that EVM opens the flaps fully. Does this mean when the EVM is activated (open), OEM exhaust button in the interior won't make any difference since the flaps are fully open already anyway?
Say EVM is on and the car is in C mode. Will the sound be different when changing between OEM exhaust valves open/close?
Thank you all in advance!
The module controls the exhaust valves so they will be open all the time if you choose or closed all the time (via remote). However, with that being said there is also a valve in the mid section that is not controlled by this module and only by the cars exhaust settings. What I do is keep the valves open all the time but the noise between Race and Comfort is significant because of the valve in the mid pipe
Old 09-23-2020, 11:45 PM

C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by apsuard
The module controls the exhaust valves so they will be open all the time if you choose or closed all the time (via remote). However, with that being said there is also a valve in the mid section that is not controlled by this module and only by the cars exhaust settings. What I do is keep the valves open all the time but the noise between Race and Comfort is significant because of the valve in the mid pipe
Thank you so much for the info, apsuard!
Does that mean the stock exhaust button on the centre console still matters? Let's say I am in C mode (exhaust button off), when I turn on the exhaust button, the valve in the mid section then opens? In this case, even when the EVM is always active, to "maximize " the exhaust sound, I should still manually turn on the stock exhaust button on the centre console if it is not on? Thanks again in advance!
Old 09-24-2020, 01:19 PM

Empty
Thank you so much for the info, apsuard!
Does that mean the stock exhaust button on the centre console still matters? Let's say I am in C mode (exhaust button off), when I turn on the exhaust button, the valve in the mid section then opens? In this case, even when the EVM is always active, to "maximize " the exhaust sound, I should still manually turn on the stock exhaust button on the centre console if it is not on? Thanks again in advance!
That is exactly correct. If you keep the exhaust valves open using the EVM I still use the middle exhaust button because that opens the mid pipe valves. You will notice a significant difference even when exhaust valves are open when you hit the middle exhaust button
Old 09-24-2020, 04:01 PM

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts
2013 C63
Originally Posted by apsuard
That is exactly correct. If you keep the exhaust valves open using the EVM I still use the middle exhaust button because that opens the mid pipe valves. You will notice a significant difference even when exhaust valves are open when you hit the middle exhaust button
I thought the ASR opened everything up?
Old 09-24-2020, 04:21 PM

C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by izzy63
I thought the ASR opened everything up?
Seems like it doesn’t open the valve located at the H-pipes.

But I’m still not sure whether the valve at the H-pipes is controlled by the OEM button on the center control or by selecting different modes (C, S, S+, Race), or something else

Some people say H-pipes valve opens when certain rmp or load is reached tho.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:57 AM

2013 C63
Seems like it doesn’t open the valve located at the H-pipes.

But I’m still not sure whether the valve at the H-pipes is controlled by the OEM button on the center control or by selecting different modes (C, S, S+, Race), or something else

Some people say H-pipes valve opens when certain rmp or load is reached tho.
I dont notice a difference tbh...
Old 09-26-2020, 08:48 AM

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
2019 E63 AMGs
There's definitely a difference between comfort and sport+ when using the module. It helps comfort be louder but it's definitely not as loud as sport+. I always have the performance exhaust button "on". Overall I like the module, but it does not open all the valves all the time or there wouldn't be a difference between comfort and sport+.

I prefer the sport+ sound, but the transmission can be really jittery at low speeds in sport+ so I use individual settings with the transmission in "sport."
E63_GG (12-30-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 02:41 PM

2013 C63
Originally Posted by mik34
There's definitely a difference between comfort and sport+ when using the module. It helps comfort be louder but it's definitely not as loud as sport+. I always have the performance exhaust button "on". Overall I like the module, but it does not open all the valves all the time or there wouldn't be a difference between comfort and sport+.

I prefer the sport+ sound, but the transmission can be really jittery at low speeds in sport+ so I use individual settings with the transmission in "sport."
The ECU is set up differently in sport + & race, it idles at a higher rpm & is the only modes the exhaust crackles. Dont think its a valve thing

*** Also to clarify what I meant was I already have the ASR, I just don't notice a difference now with the OEM exhaust button on/off (H-pipe Valve apparently).

Last edited by izzy63; 09-26-2020 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:15 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
What do you guys think about this one? video was in german so if someone can translate or explain how different this is compared to Rentech that would be awesome,
vendor said they can do 10% discount if we get 20 ppl ( i now its not much was hoping more like 30-40%) , thinking about getting one myself any thoughts ???

https://europrice.us/cete/mercedes/e-class-16--w213
E63_GG (12-30-2020)
Old 09-28-2020, 03:59 PM

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 AMG E63s 4Matic+, 2018 Porsche 911 4S, 2018 Camaro ZL1, 2014 E63 AMG-S , 2013 E350 , 2008 ML350
I'm in for a group buy for the $550 model(using the factory button option) if we can get the price to $450.
E63_GG (12-30-2020)
Old 09-28-2020, 04:31 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by UberMB203
I'm in for a group buy for the $550 model(using the factory button option) if we can get the price to $450.
Just got this back from the vendor explaining
The standard CETE valve module works in this way:

"With the performance model, you have an exhaust valve button. Using that button you can completely open or close the valves without any car intervention. If the open mode the car will sometimes close the valves and this module will keep the valves 100% of the time. Same with having them closed, you can tap the exhaust button again and close the valves fully even during startup. When the valves are closed they will open at 4000rpm for engine protection. You can also hold the ESP button until the dash light comes on which then shuts the valve controller off completely. That allows the car to take control of the valve operation."

they could have offered 20% for a group buy, not much discount to gather 20 buyers for 10% but glad we have more options now...

E63_GG (12-30-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 06:16 PM

Received 199 Likes on 106 Posts
2020 e63s wagon
had mine installed friday, sounds great!
Old 10-12-2020, 06:32 PM

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 AMG E63s 4Matic+, 2018 Porsche 911 4S, 2018 Camaro ZL1, 2014 E63 AMG-S , 2013 E350 , 2008 ML350
Originally Posted by SEXYBEAST
had mine installed friday, sounds great!
Renntech or ??
Old 10-12-2020, 08:14 PM

2020 e63s wagon
Originally Posted by UberMB203
Renntech or ??
yes, renntech. not a huge difference but definitely noticeable. i leave it open at all times, good in comfort but better in sport +
E63_GG (12-30-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 11:27 AM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
2019 E63, 2011 E350, 1997 F50
Originally Posted by SEXYBEAST
yes, renntech. not a huge difference but definitely noticeable. i leave it open at all times, good in comfort but better in sport +
worth getting it?
Old 10-13-2020, 01:19 PM

2020 e63s wagon
Originally Posted by Michael Khan
worth getting it?
i think so, not like DP but still makes me smile.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Renntech Exhaust EVM