W213 AMG Discuss the W213 AMG - 2017 to present

S/W213 Lemon & Buy-Back...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 08:02 AM

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
Audi BMW Ferrari MB & RR
Exclamation S/W213 Lemon & Buy-Back...

I have been browsing AutoTrader & Cars for slightly used models over the last four months or so and I am shocked to find so many lemon or bought-back vehicles. Three of which are formerly owned by members on here. Have these been that problematic? Is there a VIN range to avoid?
Old 03-03-2020, 09:24 AM

Received 126 Likes on 100 Posts
E63S 4MATIC 213
No problem with my car its the **** after sales from mercedes that cause most people to change
Old 03-03-2020, 09:25 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
2019 E63s
Originally Posted by iconoclast
I have been browsing AutoTrader & Cars for slightly used models over the last four months or so and I am shocked to find so many lemon or bought-back vehicles. Three of which are formerly owned by members on here. Have these been that problematic? Is there a VIN range to avoid?
Not surprising at all. After having my 19 for a year I had to trade it in. Wish I could have lemon law'd it.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:26 AM

E63S 4MATIC 213
Originally Posted by 19E63s
Not surprising at all. After having my 19 for a year I had to trade it in. Wish I could have lemon law'd it.
What for may i ask?
Old 03-03-2020, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

Received 569 Likes on 392 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
A lot of the early Lemons were due to the Cylinder 1&6 engine misfire code. Many of us suspected that this was due to overly tight tolerances on the emissions software. Had my car in a couple of times for it. Fixed the problem by moving injectors around and performing a recalibration. Was never any real problem with the car in my opinion other than throwing the codes and once entering a limp mode that was cleared upon restart.

MB now has a recall out to update the car's firmware to address the problem and a number of folks have reported no apparent change in drivability or performance after the update. I haven't done the recall yet but will need to do it at some point prior to the next time my license is up for renewal as California supposedly will want to see it in the records as its emissions related.

There were other issues too, but the misfire CEL codes were had by a lot of people.
The following users liked this post:
iconoclast (03-08-2020)
Old 03-04-2020, 08:22 PM

Audi BMW Ferrari MB & RR
It appears the ones that were bought back have been for multiple software updates, computer/ecu replacements, and electrical issues. According to service history and CF. Obviously there is always more in-between the lines but that is all I have to go on but there are more than a couple of E63 wagons for sale currently that have branded titles. I was hoping there would be more information or details on here since we are a group of enthusiasts or individuals who are looking for others with similar issues or vent on these types of platforms. I tried contacting one of the members who previous vehicle I stumbled across but they never responded. Perhaps someone else on here may chime in.

Originally Posted by nw66
after sales from mercedes that cause most people to change
I highly doubt dealers nation wide are buying back or doing lemon-law for poor customer service.

Old 03-04-2020, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,490 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
MB product quality on all models has been in a nose dive since 2014 or so...too many models, too fast....it's 2006 all over again! And once again they've come to the conclusion they have too many models:

https://www.thecarconnection.com/new...-options-in-us
The following 3 users liked this post by E55Greasemonkey:
2012 merc amg (05-08-2020), chassis (03-05-2020), iconoclast (03-05-2020)
Old 03-05-2020, 03:42 AM

E63S 4MATIC 213
It appears the ones that were bought back have been for multiple software updates, computer/ecu replacements, and electrical issues. According to service history and CF. Obviously there is always more in-between the lines but that is all I have to go on but there are more than a couple of E63 wagons for sale currently that have branded titles. I was hoping there would be more information or details on here since we are a group of enthusiasts or individuals who are looking for others with similar issues or vent on these types of platforms. I tried contacting one of the members who previous vehicle I stumbled across but they never responded. Perhaps someone else on here may chime in.

I highly doubt dealers nation wide are buying back or doing lemon-law for poor customer service.
I’ve had AMG now for over ten years! after sales from various dealerships have been **** poor and are known for it in UK! Porsche and Ferrari make them look like British leyland in the 70’s in fact Toyota are better in after sales!
just with my 213 it’s been in for 5 recalls has to go in against next week for front bucket seats rebuild and retro fit a stone guard for gearbox cooling! I have just got my car back after 4 months because I had to wait for a part from AMG because it was on back order and wait for them to do a run of them! Last service they broke the bonnet lever put the wrong tyres on the rear and also came to collect the car when they already knew the car was in the body waiting for AMG part! Ringing the buzzer on the gates at 8am waking up my kids! Called the service manager who put the phone Down like a child because I called them idiots! Also they think they are better than the car owners but I don’t see anyone who works at a dealership driving a 100k GBP car or a Ferrari! Love AMG cars but as said after sales they are ****s!
Old 03-05-2020, 07:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 733 Likes on 548 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
BAd dealers does not make for bad cars or car manufacturer....
just bad dealers.
iconoclast (03-05-2020)
Old 03-05-2020, 08:45 AM

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
2020 E63S, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I’ve had AMG now for over ten years! after sales from various dealerships have been **** poor and are known for it in UK! Porsche and Ferrari make them look like British leyland in the 70’s in fact Toyota are better in after sales!
just with my 213 it’s been in for 5 recalls has to go in against next week for front bucket seats rebuild and retro fit a stone guard for gearbox cooling! I have just got my car back after 4 months because I had to wait for a part from AMG because it was on back order and wait for them to do a run of them! Last service they broke the bonnet lever put the wrong tyres on the rear and also came to collect the car when they already knew the car was in the body waiting for AMG part! Ringing the buzzer on the gates at 8am waking up my kids! Called the service manager who put the phone Down like a child because I called them idiots! Also they think they are better than the car owners but I don’t see anyone who works at a dealership driving a 100k GBP car or a Ferrari! Love AMG cars but as said after sales they are ****s!
Don't disagree with you. After-sales with almost all mainstream brands is awful. I have had my fair share of bad experience with both MB and BMW. MB has been an improvement over BMW but it's far from perfect. I think the problem with all of these brands is just the sheer volume these dealerships have to deal with. Too many cars, everybody wants their car back asap, service folks rushing to get jobs done. It's sad but that's what these brands have become.

Back to OP's question: As mentioned earlier, most of these buybacks were probably related to CEL and misfire issues that earlier models had.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:36 AM

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts
2006 E55 Wagon (RIP), 2019 E63S Wagon (Sold) 2023 AMG GT634S
Called the service manager who put the phone Down like a child because I called them idiots! Also they think they are better than the car owners but I don’t see anyone who works at a dealership driving a 100k GBP car or a Ferrari!

I think much is explained right here.

To the OP - I'd be less concerned on the buybacks - it appears they did a reasonable number of them as a goodwill gesture as they were figuring out the engine "misfire" issue that appears to be sorted now.
Old 03-05-2020, 12:22 PM

Audi BMW Ferrari MB & RR
Here is an example of just one of the branded E63 currently available:

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...&partner=cdm_o

VIN: WDDZH8KB0JA380598
New Fuel Injectors, New Coil Packs, New Fuel Pump, New Plugs, New Radiator, New ECU.
These repairs are indicative of misfiring and I agree w/ E634ME. Is this the case for most if not all the 2018?
Have the revisions in firmware and parts resolved any of this? Have the issues been resolved in newer models?

I’ve had AMG now for over ten years! after sales from various dealerships have been **** poor and are known for it in UK!
I understand but it has nothing to do with lemon buy-backs or the thread.
Old 03-05-2020, 12:48 PM

Received 120 Likes on 102 Posts
The horses are now in the barn, 2019 E63s
When I take my W213 ED in June, this will be my first MB and AMG. I've had Porsche and BMW but that was over 15 years ago so the first thing that comes to mind is whether or not service experiences are regional or nationwide. Now I'm not asking everyone to divulge their location but I'm genuinely curious. I have family members in AL who currently have a leased 911 and a Cayman before that who haven't really expressed dissatisfaction with their service experiences in the past 3 years and another family member (AL) with a '18 GLC 43 AMG and also never mentioned issues with service. I'm hopeful it isn't a nationwide trend.
Old 03-05-2020, 01:41 PM

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts
2006 E55 Wagon (RIP), 2019 E63S Wagon (Sold) 2023 AMG GT634S
I've had an AMG since 2006 through current - continuously. I have had 2 minor issues with service in the past 14 years (once having to go back 2x for the passenger side front seat losing the pressure in the air bladder, and once because something broke in the transmission after leaving the dealer - which they paid half of the cost to fix it). I have only had my car serviced at a single MB dealership. I have had timely, professional, cost effective service with good mechanics and service advisors.

Last edited by Uber Wagon; 03-06-2020 at 07:24 AM. Reason: edited - broke =! woke....
The following 2 users liked this post by Uber Wagon:
AMG RB (03-05-2020), iconoclast (03-05-2020)
Old 03-05-2020, 04:56 PM

Audi BMW Ferrari MB & RR
Same. I have been servicing with the same dealer for nearly two decades and do not have issues with their level of professionalism, turnaround time and convenience. More importantly I have no idea why anyone would think that a dealer's poor service would result in a "buy-back" from MBFS or MB/HQ. One has nothing to do with the other and completely unrelated to this thread and lemon'd/buy-backs in general.
Uber Wagon (03-06-2020)
Old 03-06-2020, 12:34 PM

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts
Porsche Taycan, Range Rover AB, Range Rover SVR, S Class, Mclaren 570s, Urus Hybrid (soon), M3, RS6
Originally Posted by GermanMIA
Don't disagree with you. After-sales with almost all mainstream brands is awful. I have had my fair share of bad experience with both MB and BMW. MB has been an improvement over BMW but it's far from perfect. I think the problem with all of these brands is just the sheer volume these dealerships have to deal with. Too many cars, everybody wants their car back asap, service folks rushing to get jobs done. It's sad but that's what these brands have become.

Back to OP's question: As mentioned earlier, most of these buybacks were probably related to CEL and misfire issues that earlier models had.
I've had 'not the best' treatment at Mercedes Loughton, but definitely the worst treatment I've experienced at my local Range Rover dealership. I now use my friend at Mercedes Bolton which is on the other side of the country (shows how much I'm willing to do for a better experience lol), and another Range Rover dealership I've already raved about on here. Definitely depends on who you're working with at the dealership, I have a friend who says different to me about my local RR.
Old 03-06-2020, 01:26 PM

E63S 4MATIC 213
Originally Posted by UrBusted
I've had 'not the best' treatment at Mercedes Loughton, but definitely the worst treatment I've experienced at my local Range Rover dealership. I now use my friend at Mercedes Bolton which is on the other side of the country (shows how much I'm willing to do for a better experience lol), and another Range Rover dealership I've already raved about on here. Definitely depends on who you're working with at the dealership, I have a friend who says different to me about my local RR.
loughton are crap Cambridge are far worse
Old 03-06-2020, 05:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,177 Likes on 1,529 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Even if the CEL is resolved...the buyback is on the carfax and May haunt you when you go to sell

granted... these buybacks are about 5-10k less than non buybacks with similar miles (these buybacks have understandably low miles like 10-18k)
Old 03-06-2020, 06:11 PM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Too many
in this country a big part of the problem is deteriorating work ethics across the board in particular the younger generation and this is making it difficult for business owners to deliver excellent , reliable, and consistent customer service which is very unfortunate
we can discuss the root causes for hours , but to me this have led to gradual deterioration in customer service across multiple industries and it is becoming the exception not the rule to get excellent experience as a customer
this shows up more in service departments as compared to sales because there is more direct incentive for SA as compared to mechanics
MBS E53 (03-07-2020)
Old 03-07-2020, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 397 Likes on 261 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon, 2017 Z51 Corvette
I have a red E63S wagon. Definitely not very common. I've had it in for service once. Dropped it off for service. Got a call a few hours later asking if I was going to drop it off for service. Told them I already had. Got a call a couple hours later stating they couldn't find it and would keep looking. Couple days later I finally got it back. What a circus. The dealer I bought it from really had their act together. Too bad they're a bit too far to go for service.
Old 03-08-2020, 02:23 PM

Audi BMW Ferrari MB & RR
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Even if the CEL is resolved...the buyback is on the carfax and May haunt you when you go to sell. granted... these buybacks are about 5-10k less than non buybacks with similar miles (these buybacks have understandably low miles like 10-18k)
It would be great if these dealerships would state this in the description so you dont have to do the investigative work yourself which would save all parties involved a great deal of time.

I recently saw a buy-back at one dealership listed for only $2k less than it's non lemon counterpart. Similar MSRP.
Why would anyone purchase a vehicle with a branded title for only $2k in savings?
Old 03-09-2020, 07:02 PM

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Range Rover 400e, Ferrari GTC Lusso, G63
My 2018 e63 wagon has had numerous CEL. I've done 22K miles.

and finally 3.3.20 schedule to go back to the dealer this Friday.

I've had the odd system error which clears its self when I restart so the question is when does this become unacceptable and start to complain?

iconoclast (04-13-2020)
Old 03-09-2020, 08:32 PM

Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts
2022 4 Runner Pro, supercharged and lifted Lime Rush, 2018 E63s wagon Edition 1
I read about the buybacks early on and they were disconcerting. However, I own a 2018 wagon built 04/18 and the only problems I've had is: 1. Key not recognized. Accidentally set the alarm off while in the vehicle, stopped it and the car started without further issues. I replaced the battery in both key fobs the next day. 2. After not driving the car for about eight days got message with battery symbol and message "please start engine. See owner's manual" which basically said to drive the car! No other issues to date and the service at our local dealership has been great. I have received a letter to have the update installed for the ECU software which is to resolve an incorrect Malfunction indicator lamp illuminating due to engine misfire, fuel tank ventilation valve position, and/or incorrect detection of the battery supply voltage. This could lead to a reduction in the engine output too. I've had none of the major issues and will have the update done when I take the car in for its yearly maintenance in April. It's too bad that some of these "lemons" are due soley to this issue and really are just fine but they have the scarlet letter now. Still a good deal if one plans on keeping it long term? You decide.
iconoclast (04-13-2020)
Old 03-10-2020, 01:11 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,177 Likes on 1,529 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Why would anyone purchase a vehicle with a branded title for only $2k in savings?
… For the same reason that people would go take a cruise on the ocean in the height of the novel coronavirus pandemic, pure stupidity
The following 2 users liked this post by PeterUbers:
iconoclast (04-13-2020), mmmamg (04-13-2020)
Old 03-10-2020, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 397 Likes on 261 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon, 2017 Z51 Corvette
I have a 2018 with about 12K miles on it and I drive it every day. Occasionally it will think something is too close and beep about it. Other than that, zero problems (knocking on wood).
iconoclast (04-13-2020)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: S/W213 Lemon & Buy-Back...