W213 AMG Discuss the W213 AMG - 2017 to present

Advice requested, albeit off-topic...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 04:18 PM

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
2019 Mercedes AMG E53 2002 Mercedes C-Coupe Kompressor
Advice requested, albeit off-topic...

I have been wrestling with the question of what to do with my 2002 C-230K. Given what it is worth in dollars and cents, the obvious answer would be "trash it".
However, it does have some sentimental value to me - as well as my wife, as she tends to drive it several times a week.
Cosmetically it is in very good shape - in all of its Arctic White glory. It has the M-111 motor, so super - not turbo - charged. Has about mid-70,000 miles on it. I have owned it from new, drove it off the showroom floor actually. So, not overused.
Always serviced on time etc., etc.
No, this is not an attempt to sell it.
My question to you smart people is - do nothing? Sell it privately? Or put some money into "souping it up"? For the latter option, does anyone have any ideas on how to proceed?
Any advice or info would be much appreciated. I realize that this is the wrong forum for this vehicle, but I am reluctant to dip my toe into that forum until absolutely necessary...I have been reading it from time to time.
Its just that the quality of discussion - as is the maturity - is so much higher in this forum than any other I have come across, regardless of topic. But I digress...
Any input will be greatly appreciated, I just hate to see the old coupe just sitting around getting older and nothing else. (Wait, that seems to be MY job these last couple of months)
Thanks for listening/reading.
MBS
Old 05-14-2020, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 704 Likes on 537 Posts
go fast grocery getter wagon
With some sentimental value and vehicle is going well, I vote to keep on driving it . Like you said, it would not be worthwhile to sell privately as there would be very few people looking at a 20-yr old mb.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:13 PM

I totally agree with you. I guess what I am going to have to do is look into some mods to spice it up a little bit.
Anyone have ideas?
Old 05-15-2020, 06:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 733 Likes on 548 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
Just drive it and leaveit alone..
Do not put money in it unless you have money to throw away.

A Car is just a big WRENCH that can yake you from point A to B.

Some are nicer then others.
Old 05-15-2020, 10:36 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ygmn
Just drive it and leaveit alone..
Do not put money in it unless you have money to throw away.
This is what I would do too.

Old 05-15-2020, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 397 Likes on 261 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon, 2017 Z51 Corvette
Put a turbo on it, downpipes so it is obnoxiously loud, have it tuned, lower it until it scrapes. Then neither you or your wife will want to drive it. And when you do it'll break.

My suggestion is to just drive it as is. If you want more power/newer then trade it for something that is more to your liking. The mods route is expensive, frustrating, and really only for those that are really into it.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 704 Likes on 537 Posts
go fast grocery getter wagon
just give it more TLC. It's free.
The following users liked this post:
Uber Wagon (05-15-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 07:19 PM

Thank you to all who responded. I think I will take your advice, just keep on keeping on with it
One thing that so impresses me about the car is that nothing ever seems to go wrong with it (touching wood).
Even after 18 years, and nothing but regular service, the thing asks for no more in return. I have been taking it to the same guy for work all this time - I tell him to do whatever service is required, and please give the car a solid going over, make sure he can't find ANY issues - cost is not an issue - just make sure that it is in tip-top operating shape. I even had him take it home for a few days - use it as his commuter - and he couldn't find anything to do. Even the clutch is still in OK shape.
This was not an expensive car when I bought it new, so in my opinion it speaks volumes as to MB's build quality. And to my mechanic's honesty, he really could have taken me for a few bucks if he had wanted to. I guess if anyone in the Houston area needs a good and honest shop, let me know, I will happily send you his info.