W213 AMG Discuss the W213 AMG - 2017 to present

Unlocking the full functions of the multi-beam LED headlights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 184 Likes on 151 Posts
GLC 300d 4matic
[QUOTE=VPC_E63S;8163689Maybe some non-US members could weigh-in on their experience with the adaptive headlights.[/QUOTE]

Don't have an E Class and certainly don't have an AMG!!!
However I do have experience driving Intelligent LEDs since 2016 and Multibeam LEDs since early 2020. (European ).

Happy to answer any questions you may have.
Old 12-09-2021, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porsche Macan,E53 AMG Coupe,370z
Reviving this thread-received the module from Vlad and will be installing soon. When step 1 is done do you leave the ignition on while proceeding to step 2 on a W213?
Old 12-09-2021, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 704 Likes on 537 Posts
go fast grocery getter wagon
Old 12-09-2021, 09:24 AM

Thanks-I think that video was for the Command-I should have specified I have MBUX-my bad !
Old 12-09-2021, 10:53 AM

Received 218 Likes on 173 Posts
2024 GLE63s, 2021 E63s, 2018 GLC43
Originally Posted by Lee37xNJ
Reviving this thread-received the module from Vlad and will be installing soon. When step 1 is done do you leave the ignition on while proceeding to step 2 on a W213?
With MBUX and as per Vlad's instructions, after step 1 I left ignition on, pulled OBD module, switched microSD chips, plugged OBD module back in, and waited til green light stopped blinking. Then turned off ignition.
Old 12-09-2021, 11:41 AM

Received 32 Likes on 6 Posts
E450
I did this to mine a couple of months ago and have definitely been happy with it. Got a faulty sd card and clad was very quick responding to my messages, pinpointing the problem and walking me through what was needed.
Old 12-09-2021, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by taphil
With MBUX and as per Vlad's instructions, after step 1 I left ignition on, pulled OBD module, switched microSD chips, plugged OBD module back in, and waited til green light stopped blinking. Then turned off ignition.
Thank you-the instructions Vlad sent were not clear on that, just wanted to be sure
Old 12-22-2021, 11:32 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Past: BMW 330ci ZHP '04, Audi S4 '11, VW Touareg TDI '12, BMW 328i '13, C43 '19. Current: C43 '24
Thank you-the instructions Vlad sent were not clear on that, just wanted to be sure
mine just hit customs, so I should be getting it in a few days… 27 days at this point. I too have MBUX- could you go through your experience? I am assuming you have everything working now.
Old 12-23-2021, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by ACSchnitzersprt
mine just hit customs, so I should be getting it in a few days… 27 days at this point. I too have MBUX- could you go through your experience? I am assuming you have everything working now.
Had a few problems with the install-but they were all caused by me! Got the double blinking light on step1,contacted Vlad and sent him the logfile. The logfile wasn't complete so he sent me an evaluation program which showed everything was ok-turns out I didn't have the module fully seated on step 1-dang. Perform step 1 again and it went fine...except... when I removed the module from the OBD port I pulled the cover off and ripped out the sd card socket-oh sheet !! Had Vlad send another module which i just received and am awaiting instructions on how to proceed. Have no doubt step 2 would have worked had I not fooked up the module-it was not a good day ! Vlad was great through the whole sorry episode. Follow the instructions and you will be fine-it's easy-except if you're me-haha.
Old 12-24-2021, 09:16 AM

Past: BMW 330ci ZHP '04, Audi S4 '11, VW Touareg TDI '12, BMW 328i '13, C43 '19. Current: C43 '24
Had a few problems with the install-but they were all caused by me! Got the double blinking light on step1,contacted Vlad and sent him the logfile. The logfile wasn't complete so he sent me an evaluation program which showed everything was ok-turns out I didn't have the module fully seated on step 1-dang. Perform step 1 again and it went fine...except... when I removed the module from the OBD port I pulled the cover off and ripped out the sd card socket-oh sheet !! Had Vlad send another module which i just received and am awaiting instructions on how to proceed. Have no doubt step 2 would have worked had I not fooked up the module-it was not a good day ! Vlad was great through the whole sorry episode. Follow the instructions and you will be fine-it's easy-except if you're me-haha.
oh gees! Sounds like things got intense in your garage. Hopefully Vlad is emailing the update versus a new card completely. Mine is out for delivery today, so unless the postal person is lazy, I should get it. Sometimes I get the “cannot access building” note if they don’t want to walk 5 feet to my front door from the street. No gate, no building, just a house. Lol

Old 12-29-2021, 05:33 AM

Received 133 Likes on 96 Posts
2023 Maybach GLS600, 2023 Bentley Bentayga, 2023 Genesis GV60, 2017 AMG GLS63
Originally Posted by NewYorker555
Does using this module invalidate my warranty or otherwise cause any kind of issue with the dealership when I bring the car in for service?
I asked Vlad this before I ordered the module from him, and this is what he told me:
they TOTALLY dont care - I mean absolutely
the daimler pay to dealer for the services done on warranty, no warranty = no payments
hope this is clear

I have had my car in for service a couple times, which included doing at least seven software updates, and the dealer didn’t mention noticing the mods.
One of the updates did remove all of my mods and reset my configuration to the factory default, so I had to reinstall the mods.
Old 12-29-2021, 08:30 AM

Got the device on the 24th and installed it a few days later. Only issue I ran into is during backup. An error showed up for the lights in my dash, but went away after I closed it. I activated the lights and “volunteered” to pick up dinner instead of getting delivery. Honestly, my favorite feature on the car now. Low speed city mode lights up curbs and the peripheral. High speed was magical. Boxed the car in front of me and then fanned down on one side when cars approached, fanning up as they passed. It did do something I need to read more about: flashed a road sign. I peaked a hill crest and a sign was near the top of the other side of the crest.
Old 12-29-2021, 08:39 AM

I doubt they run a pre-flash or verification on the current programming prior to an update. I do wonder if eventually the coding from Vladimir will need to be updated as well though. Similar to how developers have to update settings for for new versions or jailbreaking iPhones. I guess it’s more comparable to a Regedit versus hacking since it’s technically changing a zero to 1.
Old 12-29-2021, 07:21 PM

Got the device on the 24th and installed it a few days later. Only issue I ran into is during backup. An error showed up for the lights in my dash, but went away after I closed it. I activated the lights and “volunteered” to pick up dinner instead of getting delivery. Honestly, my favorite feature on the car now. Low speed city mode lights up curbs and the peripheral. High speed was magical. Boxed the car in front of me and then fanned down on one side when cars approached, fanning up as they passed. It did do something I need to read more about: flashed a road sign. I peaked a hill crest and a sign was near the top of the other side of the crest.
Glad it went well for you-I'll be giving the install another shot in a few days with Vlads instructions-looking forward to this mod!
Old 01-01-2022, 06:11 PM

Received 87 Likes on 62 Posts
2019 E 450 4 Matic T-model, 2014 Jag F-Type vert, 2004 Volvo V70R
Has there been any movement on the US rules?
Old 01-01-2022, 07:10 PM

Received 133 Likes on 96 Posts
2023 Maybach GLS600, 2023 Bentley Bentayga, 2023 Genesis GV60, 2017 AMG GLS63
Yes, the Biden administration has given a two year deadline to implement advanced headlights.
The following users liked this post:
Hundens (01-01-2022)
Old 01-01-2022, 07:21 PM

Received 87 Likes on 62 Posts
2019 E 450 4 Matic T-model, 2014 Jag F-Type vert, 2004 Volvo V70R
Originally Posted by jbattan
Yes, the Biden administration has given a two year deadline to implement advanced headlights.
That's great news. If you are on top of this is there some E-5 we can write to express interest.What department or agency is in charge of getting out this rule. This should be of interest to every MB owner with the LED lighting package. A few thousand letters might help things along. Every time I turn the car on and the headlights do their little dance, it reminds me that I don't have the real intelligent light system that people in other countries do.
Old 01-02-2022, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Hundens
That's great news. If you are on top of this is there some E-5 we can write to express interest.What department or agency is in charge of getting out this rule. This should be of interest to every MB owner with the LED lighting package. A few thousand letters might help things along. Every time I turn the car on and the headlights do their little dance, it reminds me that I don't have the real intelligent light system that people in other countries do.
I believe the DOT is over vehicle requirements. I highly doubt that MB will update any current car programming to have this. We likely won’t see an update until models launching for 2024. Since the US has 2 years to implement, and models come out in the late summer and fall of the previous year, I am being very generous with timing.
Old 01-02-2022, 06:54 AM

Received 146 Likes on 92 Posts
AMG E63 Hammer Wagon. Alfa, Rover, Ferrari, Porsche.
I was going to have Vlad do my LED headlights (when my wagon shows up in a month or so), but then I stumbled on RJ Automotive, who offer a host of coding options. I didn’t see them mentioned yet in this thread. There are several changes listed on their site that I’m interested in making. Hopefully it doesn't all get wiped out by the dealer during software updates that often, which would be a pain…

https://rjautomotive.net/pages/coding-options
Old 01-02-2022, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by bullmrkt
I was going to have Vlad do my LED headlights (when my wagon shows up in a month or so), but then I stumbled on RJ Automotive, who offer a host of coding options. I didn’t see them mentioned yet in this thread. There are several changes listed on their site that I’m interested in making. Hopefully it doesn't all get wiped out by the dealer during software updates that often, which would be a pain…

https://rjautomotive.net/pages/coding-options
Your last point is why I went with Vladimir’s option. I read about RJA, but the fact that the OBD is for remote execution turned me off. Vladimir’s price is reflective of the non-subscription and self-controlled launch. Based on someone’s previous post about the dealer updating the system and they lost the light coding, I’d prefer to be able to control the relaunch myself. Not to mention, Vladimir’s OBD allows for a backup to reverse it for whatever reason.

I messaged RJA about the process if the dealer removes the coding via an update or setting adjustments. I asked if remote relaunching the coding is included in the price or if each flash is an exclusive event.

As technology and our lives move more and more closer to a subscription world, I prefer to have as much control as possible. It’s one thing to cancel my Netflix or Hulu, or have my internet drop and get no TV, but I’ll be damned if I buy an “upgrade” or mod and it’s not mine. Side story- a Tesla was being sold with the full automated driving system on the sticker, but when the title came through, Tesla deactivated it because it was a new owner and non-transferable capability versus being a feature to the car.

imack (01-02-2022)
Old 01-02-2022, 07:24 PM

Yes the Tesla example you gave is kinda BS but alas, the subscription world we now live in. With RJA, Id be shocked if they didn't do something similar to Vlad and backup your original config, as well as helping you through any restoration necessary post dealer updates. Its not as if this is a new issue…par for the course and my experience with similar cyber-mods on other car makes. Let us know what they say.
Old 01-02-2022, 07:38 PM

Received 120 Likes on 102 Posts
The horses are now in the barn, 2019 E63s
According to what I've read about adaptive lighting systems regarding the signed Infrastructure law, our boy Mayor Pete has two years to approve their use in the US.

We can friendly debate the likelihood of MB retro-activating that feature for those who have ILS.

FWIW, it's quite impressive on my 2019 E63s in auto mode; almost as functional the we've seen in YouTube clip posted here.
Old 01-02-2022, 11:29 PM

Yes the Tesla example you gave is kinda BS but alas, the subscription world we now live in. With RJA, Id be shocked if they didn't do something similar to Vlad and backup your original config, as well as helping you through any restoration necessary post dealer updates. Its not as if this is a new issue…par for the course and my experience with similar cyber-mods on other car makes. Let us know what they say.
RJA got back to me. They will provide free reflashes for 2 years then 30 pounds afterwards for each. They mentioned that the update shouldn’t be removed after a dealer update, but it could if it’s a full refresh depending on what they need.

No mention of a backup since they’re only changing the light system and should be easy enough to change back.
Old 01-03-2022, 07:34 AM

RJA got back to me. They will provide free reflashes for 2 years then 30 pounds afterwards for each. They mentioned that the update shouldn’t be removed after a dealer update, but it could if it’s a full refresh depending on what they need.

No mention of a backup since they’re only changing the light system and should be easy enough to change back.
That makes sense, thanks for posting the info! Im still leaning towards RJA because they can do so much more than just the headlights.
imack (01-03-2022)
Old 01-03-2022, 11:14 AM

That makes sense, thanks for posting the info! Im still leaning towards RJA because they can do so much more than just the headlights.

if I weren’t still under warranty, I would get the distronic cruise package. But then again, I don’t drive my car for long distances and rarely use cruise now.

Let us know how it goes!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Unlocking the full functions of the multi-beam LED headlights