W213 AMG Discuss the W213 AMG - 2017 to present

what could be better than e63s wagon?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2020, 06:09 PM

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
M8 convert + model Y
what could be better than e63s wagon?

Have my wagon for almost 3 years and really love it. As all car enthusiasts I always look for a next better car and so far I don't see anything I want to have.
Any bright ideas?
The following users liked this post:
imack (11-01-2020)
Old 11-01-2020, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 704 Likes on 537 Posts
go fast grocery getter wagon
Here are the cars I had considered and eventually ended up with ...

audi rs6 Avant - failed . All dealers in my local area want msrp. Lol.

porsche panny sports Turismo 4s ehybrid - failed. 3 Porsche dealers warned me the depreciation for this class of car is bad when trading in. One dealer says with taycan being full electric doing well in sales, this hybrid is in between a full gas and full electric, people in a few yrs will likely go either one, not in between. Therefore, the trade in or resale value should suffer to a larger degree. Therefore, no go for this regard.

porsche Cayenne gts or turbo - failed. I priced one with all the options I would like and it came right into the 911 4s territory. Dealer said that’s over the top configuration that most of the options I wanted will only get fractions back. Besides, I am not really wanting a suv in the first place, so I sat on this choice for nearly 4 weeks.

mb facelift e63s wagon - I gave this a shot and initially I had came to agreement with dealer for a specific discount by email. Then on the day I went in to put in the order and give deposit, the dealer sales manager decided to change his mind all of a sudden and said his offered discount cannot be done and he asked me to lower my discount demand. I was totally mad and pissed so I walked out.

in the end, I figure I will just keep my 2018 e63 wagon for 2-3 more years and decided to buy my dream machine. 2021 Porsche 911 4s. I spent a few weeks communicating with a few dealers and everyone wants msrp, more or less, except one. So, I went with that dealer who gave me a decent discount and I signed without hesitation.

In the end, I am going to enjoy couple of great cars in my garage. Each has its characters and looking forward to be driving both in the next few years
The following 5 users liked this post by bobblehead:
b0rderman (11-02-2020), cyclrder (11-02-2020), imack (11-02-2020), mcdougall964 (11-03-2020), mmmamg (11-02-2020)
Old 11-02-2020, 10:59 AM

Received 83 Likes on 47 Posts
2024 S580
It really depends on the mission and, of course, the budget. My new E63S will be my daily driver. On the sports car side of the spectrum, I'm currently looking to replace the F430 I sold early last year to make room in my garage to build another airplane. The plane is done and sold, so I'm in the market for another Ferrari. I really want to go with a front-engined V12 GT model this time around, so I'm leaning toward the 599 GTB.

If you're looking for something as a direct replacement for the E63S wagon, only a new one is a perfect fit. What's the mission and what cars have you always wanted to own? It's never the wrong move to scratch a specific automotive itch...
Old 11-02-2020, 11:06 AM

Received 294 Likes on 144 Posts
E63S Wagon
For the wagon owners in here, I think we are stuck. Better start thinking about the extended warranty, I do not foresee a worthy replacement coming anytime soon. I was talking this through with a buddy, and if really pressed I could come up with some long shot replacement scenarios:

1. If the face-lift models come out and there are significant and material ride/transmission improvements confirmed, then maybe I would jump on a final production year model with the anticipation that w214 will be hybrid (no thank you).
2. If my car gets totaled, and the facelift isn't a real material improvement, I might be tempted replace it with two cars: a short-term base-model tesla lease (or used Landcruiser) and a pricier used two seater of some kind (993 turbo, GT3T, who knows).
3. The w214 is not a hybrid, and has Autopilot-like levels of autonomy (I have real young ones that will require trips to Orlando in the coming years).
Old 11-02-2020, 11:56 AM

Received 99 Likes on 58 Posts
18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 20 JLU Rubicon
I am in the same boat with you guys on this. I love my wagon except for the harsh ride and the fact that my back hurts from the front seat after a couple of hours (2 back surgeries would have set this into motion years ago... but these seats are much better than my GL63 seats)

possible replacements... the Taycan SUV maybe? next generation AMG GL63 Hybrid? We are kind of in a weird time... soon a bunch of new EVs will come out and I'm sure AMG will have something pretty cool.

I have a 997.2 TT MT for fun.. and a new Rubicon for trash runs and I have to say, the Jeep is really an enjoyable drive for everyday use. The Jeep is what my wife wants to drive all of the time... we are contemplating driving to Florida from NYC over Christmas and the Jeep might be the vehicle for the drive.
Old 11-02-2020, 12:25 PM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
RS7
Originally Posted by cyclrder
I am in the same boat with you guys on this. I love my wagon except for the harsh ride and the fact that my back hurts from the front seat after a couple of hours (2 back surgeries would have set this into motion years ago... but these seats are much better than my GL63 seats)
possible replacements... the Taycan SUV maybe? next generation AMG GL63 Hybrid? We are kind of in a weird time... soon a bunch of new EVs will come out and I'm sure AMG will have something pretty cool.
I have a 997.2 TT MT for fun.. and a new Rubicon for trash runs and I have to say, the Jeep is really an enjoyable drive for everyday use. The Jeep is what my wife wants to drive all of the time... we are contemplating driving to Florida from NYC over Christmas and the Jeep might be the vehicle for the drive.
If not for the harsh ride, I would have bought an E63 Wagon. Instead I'm loving my Panamera Sport turismo, the suspension is phenomenal, i just wish there was a bit more room. Can't have it all I guess.
I was hoping they had fixed the harsh suspension on the new model but a reviewer commented that it was pretty much the same which is too bad. I really want one otherwise!
Old 11-02-2020, 04:43 PM

Received 158 Likes on 105 Posts
2019 E63S wagon; 2016 Landrover Landmark
Originally Posted by mmmamg
Have my wagon for almost 3 years and really love it. As all car enthusiasts I always look for a next better car and so far I don't see anything I want to have.
Any bright ideas?
No car is better at doing it all. There are faster cars. There are more comfortable cars. And there are definitely more sexy cars. But no single care does as much as well as the E63S Wagon. Is it perfect in all ways? Nope. But in life there is always compromise, and since my garage only has two spots, this is my car of choice.
The following 4 users liked this post by 24Hours:
3DeadPancreases (11-05-2020), mmmamg (11-02-2020), ronin amg (11-03-2020), WIKDWGN (11-02-2020)
Old 11-02-2020, 04:56 PM

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
'15 CLS
Originally Posted by bobblehead
Here are the cars I had considered and eventually ended up with ...

audi rs6 Avant - failed . All dealers in my local area want msrp. Lol.

porsche panny sports Turismo 4s ehybrid - failed. 3 Porsche dealers warned me the depreciation for this class of car is bad when trading in. One dealer says with taycan being full electric doing well in sales, this hybrid is in between a full gas and full electric, people in a few yrs will likely go either one, not in between. Therefore, the trade in or resale value should suffer to a larger degree. Therefore, no go for this regard.

porsche Cayenne gts or turbo - failed. I priced one with all the options I would like and it came right into the 911 4s territory. Dealer said that’s over the top configuration that most of the options I wanted will only get fractions back. Besides, I am not really wanting a suv in the first place, so I sat on this choice for nearly 4 weeks.

mb facelift e63s wagon - I gave this a shot and initially I had came to agreement with dealer for a specific discount by email. Then on the day I went in to put in the order and give deposit, the dealer sales manager decided to change his mind all of a sudden and said his offered discount cannot be done and he asked me to lower my discount demand. I was totally mad and pissed so I walked out.

in the end, I figure I will just keep my 2018 e63 wagon for 2-3 more years and decided to buy my dream machine. 2021 Porsche 911 4s. I spent a few weeks communicating with a few dealers and everyone wants msrp, more or less, except one. So, I went with that dealer who gave me a decent discount and I signed without hesitation.

In the end, I am going to enjoy couple of great cars in my garage. Each has its characters and looking forward to be driving both in the next few years
I would love to see some pictures of that 4S!
Old 11-02-2020, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Delivery in April 2021. Don’t want it to expose to any winter elements
Old 11-02-2020, 06:42 PM

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
'15 CLS
Gotcha! When the time comes around, make sure to post some! Love the 992.
Old 11-02-2020, 09:25 PM

Received 208 Likes on 109 Posts
2020 e63s wagon
as far as station wagons go, no. as others stated, yes there faster cars, cars that r more luxurious, more comfortable-of course but ask yourself, is there another car out there that can keep up w/ supers, carry your kids and a surfboard w/ golf clubs inside? all the while being the unicorn in the parking lot?
Old 11-02-2020, 10:16 PM

Received 131 Likes on 87 Posts
2021 E63S Wagon 2019 S63 AMG Coupé 2015 S Coupé Edition 1 1970 Chevelle LS5
I’m somewhat smitten with the Porsche Taycan Turbo S. If they make a wagon version of it, or even SUV....
Old 11-03-2020, 06:37 AM

M8 convert + model Y
Originally Posted by coolcamden
I’m somewhat smitten with the Porsche Taycan Turbo S. If they make a wagon version of it, or even SUV....
Here we go - that's my ideal next car. Electrical performance wagon manufactured by reputable company
Old 11-03-2020, 11:17 AM

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
2017 SQ5 / 2012 Ferrari FF
Originally Posted by Corsair66
It really depends on the mission and, of course, the budget. My new E63S will be my daily driver. On the sports car side of the spectrum, I'm currently looking to replace the F430 I sold early last year to make room in my garage to build another airplane. The plane is done and sold, so I'm in the market for another Ferrari. I really want to go with a front-engined V12 GT model this time around, so I'm leaning toward the 599 GTB.

If you're looking for something as a direct replacement for the E63S wagon, only a new one is a perfect fit. What's the mission and what cars have you always wanted to own? It's never the wrong move to scratch a specific automotive itch...
Off topic, but Curtis at Ferrari Central Florida is my guy there if you are going to be looking for a 599 GTB. Took a while, but he found me a perfect FF for what I was looking for earlier this year (and he loves my AMG wagons too, so he gets bonus points for taste).

On topic, I'm sure you guys have seen my post looking for W213 wagon options to consider, and we are all in a similar mindset here...hard to beat it as an option! @mmmamg hope you find a replacement
Though I would submit that after driving them, I think the Panny Sport Turismo Turbo e-hybrid is just too heavy to feel Porsche-y. The GTS really felt like a much better balance for me. Not as fast out of the box, but if you are someone that is open to tuning, I think that solves that problem since it is the same hardware/motor as the Turbo. Drove them back to back and I would take the GTS in a heartbeat (and then spend some of the savings the next day at the dyno). For those skewing towards SUVs, the option I'd say not to discount compared to the Cayenne is the RSQ8 which really felt pretty fun for a giant vehicle, And...surprisingly...the Maserati Levante Trofeo. So many compromises in that car, but from a driving perspective it just felt very unique. Hard to find cars with personality these days when it feels like everyone is sharing motors and adding weight/sound insulation - the Maserati had personality. I wouldn't buy one for MSRP or even close to it ever (There's a 2019 with 121 miles selling for $50k under the MSRP - OUCH https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...=myATCsavedcar), but they are fun.
Old 11-03-2020, 02:07 PM

Received 83 Likes on 47 Posts
2024 S580
Originally Posted by uberwag
Off topic, but Curtis at Ferrari Central Florida is my guy there if you are going to be looking for a 599 GTB. Took a while, but he found me a perfect FF for what I was looking for earlier this year (and he loves my AMG wagons too, so he gets bonus points for taste).
Thanks - I know Curtis very well; he's my guy in that shop, too. Small world! If you're not already a member of the FCA's Greater Orlando Chapter, you should consider joining us. We have a varied slate of events each (non-pandemic) year, though 2020 has, unfortunately, been an exception. We hope to get back to normal as early in 2021 as possible. I'm sure he'll appreciate my AMG sedan, too - despite his being a vintage BMW guy at heart!
Old 11-03-2020, 07:54 PM

Received 120 Likes on 102 Posts
The horses are now in the barn, 2019 E63s
mmmamg, if you find something please put me in queue for your wagon mate.
Old 11-03-2020, 08:18 PM

Received 73 Likes on 38 Posts
2018 E63 Wagon Stage 2
I truly don’t understand this continuous quest to find a better all around car. I’m not in the position to buy a Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc... my wagon took me a while to save for and is by far the nicest car I have ever owned. And it was always a dream car of mine, since I had a long background of Subaru and wagons.

I love my wagon more than anything and don’t care to even look for anything else. It hauls the family, handles a full load at Costco, hauls ***, and gets the occasional thumbs up on the freeway for those who know what exactly is under the hood.
The following 6 users liked this post by aaronpass:
imack (11-03-2020), mack1ro (11-04-2020), Mocha15 (12-05-2020), Pioneer222 (11-05-2020), SEXYBEAST (11-04-2020), TugboatBill (11-04-2020) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-03-2020, 08:20 PM

Received 120 Likes on 102 Posts
The horses are now in the barn, 2019 E63s
Old 11-03-2020, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,586 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by CanuckE63
If not for the harsh ride, I would have bought an E63 Wagon. Instead I'm loving my Panamera Sport turismo, the suspension is phenomenal, i just wish there was a bit more room. Can't have it all I guess.
I was hoping they had fixed the harsh suspension on the new model but a reviewer commented that it was pretty much the same which is too bad. I really want one otherwise!
Which review said it rode the same? C/D's latest review of the E63S sedan was pretty glowing, they highlighted the ride being much more comfortable. I would think that would be the case being that even AMG said that they would address the complaint. https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a34345582/2021-mercedes-amg-e63-s-drive/
Old 11-04-2020, 09:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
21 GLS63 19 C63s coupe19 E63s wagon/18GLE63s
I have that problem right now! Not knowing if the wagon is totaled. Got a build spot at the dealer for a replacement, but I can't recreate the car I had.
Old 11-04-2020, 09:59 AM

Received 294 Likes on 144 Posts
E63S Wagon
What's the missing piece(s)? Sport seats?
Old 11-04-2020, 10:56 AM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
RS7
Originally Posted by js_cls
Which review said it rode the same? C/D's latest review of the E63S sedan was pretty glowing, they highlighted the ride being much more comfortable. I would think that would be the case being that even AMG said that they would address the complaint. https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a34345582/2021-mercedes-amg-e63-s-drive/
I can't find the video but I do recall seeing it recently.
Other reviewers have talked about the now-compliant suspension as though they were just reading a list of updates rather than their own personal driving experience.
I'll have to check it out in person then before deciding again. I really hope they have improved the compliance in all the driving modes, not just for comfort.
thanks!
Old 11-05-2020, 10:41 AM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 Silverado Z71, 2018 Super Duke R, 2020 BMW M340i
Thumbs up

Currently I would say nothing except an updated or all new E63 Wagon . Like whenever it gets the 4 wheel steering from the AMG GT63s 4-Door and the rumored @800hp hybrid drivetrain.
Other than that...….?
The following 5 users liked this post by 3DeadPancreases:
24Hours (11-06-2020), b0rderman (11-05-2020), imack (11-05-2020), mack1ro (11-06-2020), mmmamg (11-05-2020)
Old 11-05-2020, 06:51 PM

M8 convert + model Y
Found this in my news feed today:

Taycan wagon:
Inside the 2020 Porsche Taycan Sport Turismo: An EV Unlike Any Other. The 2020 Porsche Taycan Sport Turismo has yet to be officially confirmed by the automaker. ...
Yes, Porsche's new EV will be the world's first electric-powered wagon. It's also the only electrified luxury wagon on the market.

It will cost us but could be very cool
The following users liked this post:
24Hours (11-06-2020)
Old 11-05-2020, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The size may be something like a c class wagon

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: what could be better than e63s wagon?