E43 Owners with a Tune

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2022, 01:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 E43 AMG
Originally Posted by scottp1111
Ok,

So I have some news for the group regarding the tune. I called my local Eurocharged shop this morning and talked with the guy who answered the phone and he was a very nice guy and also very straight forward and honest with me which I appreciate! I explained to him that I regularly drive the car 250 miles each way to work and that it is a 2018 with 14,000 or so miles on it. I told him that reliablity was the 1st priority for me and then he explained to me that if that was the case there are some factors that I should consider before tuning the car that could play into my reliablity factors.

1. He told me if the CPC module is not replaced with a new one and then tuned, that the car would go into limp mode at some point, he said not IF but WHEN. The cost for a replacement tuned module is $2500 on top of the tune for $1300 + 299 for the loader to keep with me.
2. The guys said, "if we tune the car, without doing anyting with the CPC module, it will give you issues." He said if your gonna tune the car and want it to be done right and reliable then you have to do both, otherwise I would leave it alone if you depend on the reliablity of the car.
3. So now I am at a crossroads, he also said the top speed limiter would likely not be increased also which is a big factor for me as currently the car sits locked at 130 MPH WHICH sucks! The CPC module replacement and tune is required to lift that restriction as well.
4. Sure seems like a lot of cash for an additional reliable 90 - 100 HP.

It sure would be nice if we did have someone who has tuned an 18 E43 that could chime in as to what they experienced, I am slightly more gunshy now to the process as again, I need the car to be reliable. We also discussed a mild tune on the car which would likely not experience as many limp mode instances, but hey if your gonna do it, why pay for a little bit!

Any comments are welcome here!
So what did you end up doing? I just found out about this cpc tune stuff and I also have an 18 E43. I ordered the tune with the handheld and nobody from eurocharged mentioned anything about needing a cpc tune to go with it. I haven't flashed the ecu yet but I am concerned to say the least now. Seems like it is too much cash for the hp gains.
Old 09-18-2022, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 179 Likes on 143 Posts
Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
Sorry I have to interject. A C63s will come with more power stock than a tuned E43s, look better, sounds better... Even a stage 1 tuned C63s has the same reliability as a stock E43... The 63s are built for much higher tolerances.

If you do go with E43, get a stage 1 ECU tune to wake it up a bit and call it a day. If you are looking for speed, E43 is the wrong platform.
Old 09-18-2022, 06:53 PM

2018 E43 AMG
Originally Posted by skim7x
Sorry I have to interject. A C63s will come with more power stock than a tuned E43s, look better, sounds better... Even a stage 1 tuned C63s has the same reliability as a stock E43... The 63s are built for much higher tolerances.

If you do go with E43, get a stage 1 ECU tune to wake it up a bit and call it a day. If you are looking for speed, E43 is the wrong platform.
Not really looking for speed with the E43. It's my wife's car and she drives it mainly on the highway. I just want some more passing power in the car.

I have a 16 750xi that's already tuned and has, plenty of sound, looks, and speed.
Old 09-18-2022, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
Good for you, but was telling the OP since this is his thread and he was originally mentioning C63s in the mix.
Old 09-18-2022, 07:26 PM

2018 E43 AMG
Good for you, but was telling the OP since this is his thread and he was originally mentioning C63s in the mix.
Oh gotcha. Any thoughts on the question I asked btw? Do you know if a cpc tune is necessary with a stage 1 for the E43?
Old 09-18-2022, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
Originally Posted by ammadshami
Oh gotcha. Any thoughts on the question I asked btw? Do you know if a cpc tune is necessary with a stage 1 for the E43?
It's not necessary, but we have seen E63s' gain power with just the CPC tune. I'd go with ECU tune first, then add on CPC when you are ready for more power.
Old 09-18-2022, 07:30 PM

2018 E43 AMG
It's not necessary, but we have seen E63s' gain power with just the CPC tune. I'd go with ECU tune first, then add on CPC when you are ready for more power.
Thank you very much for the prompt reply. Good bless you man!
Old 09-20-2022, 12:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 E43 2020 GLC 43
So I decided not to do anything TBH. Everyone I talked to said that when I do a tune and NOT having a CPC tune done in conjunction it leads to nothing but problems. I just left mine stock and never touched it. I am curious about how it would perform with one, but im just not into taking that risk. I just ordered a 2023 E63 so that will fix my power problem.

SP
Old 09-20-2022, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
So I decided not to do anything TBH. Everyone I talked to said that when I do a tune and NOT having a CPC tune done in conjunction it leads to nothing but problems. I just left mine stock and never touched it. I am curious about how it would perform with one, but im just not into taking that risk. I just ordered a 2023 E63 so that will fix my power problem.

SP
Congrats on the 63. Excellent choice. That said, your "power problem" will never be fixed 😝
Old 09-20-2022, 01:02 PM

2018 E43 AMG

SP
So I ended up getting the tune and confirmed with Eurocharged that 2018 E43 models do not have a CPC module. We have a TCU which could be flashed later if we wanted more power but its unnecessary. You are perfectly safe using that. Also on a side note, today i took the E43 to work (a 40 mile one way commute) and averaged 28.3mpg at 75-80mph compared to my wife who was always getting around 22-23mpg same distance/speed. Not sure if this is supposed to improve mileage and YMMV (lol). I am pretty happy with the tune, the car definitely feels much smoother and nimbler when accelerating. Congrats on the E63, I wish i were that rich
The following users liked this post:
Albert Bell (12-16-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 01:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 E43 2020 GLC 43
So I ended up getting the tune and confirmed with Eurocharged that 2018 E43 models do not have a CPC module. We have a TCU which could be flashed later if we wanted more power but its unnecessary. You are perfectly safe using that. Also on a side note, today i took the E43 to work (a 40 mile one way commute) and averaged 28.3mpg at 75-80mph compared to my wife who was always getting around 22-23mpg same distance/speed. Not sure if this is supposed to improve mileage and YMMV (lol). I am pretty happy with the tune, the car definitely feels much smoother and nimbler when accelerating. Congrats on the E63, I wish i were that rich

So I made a mistake and I should have been making reference to the TPC tune and I have been saying CPC for some reason.. My apologies, I have been talking to Eurocharged, and that is who told me that with a CPC tune only that the car will go into limp mode and throw codes and become inherintly unreliable and that the TPC tune was almost a must have. How long have you been running the flash? How is the reliablity? Any lights on yet? I decided to break down and buy the 23 E63 because it is the last year of the V8 so I figured it would appreciate and if I kept it low miles and locked away in the garage. I am curious to know more about the Eurocharged tune and how its acting... Please share more and also any dyno numbers they may have given you...

Scott
Old 09-20-2022, 01:58 PM

2018 E43 AMG
So I made a mistake and I should have been making reference to the TPC tune and I have been saying CPC for some reason.. My apologies, I have been talking to Eurocharged, and that is who told me that with a CPC tune only that the car will go into limp mode and throw codes and become inherintly unreliable and that the TPC tune was almost a must have. How long have you been running the flash? How is the reliablity? Any lights on yet? I decided to break down and buy the 23 E63 because it is the last year of the V8 so I figured it would appreciate and if I kept it low miles and locked away in the garage. I am curious to know more about the Eurocharged tune and how its acting... Please share more and also any dyno numbers they may have given you...

Scott
So I called Eurocharged's main number listed on their website and spoke with Sean who is their 2nd in command. He approves all the sales and orders when they come in. He shared with me that i only needed the ECU tune and nothing else was necessary. He also stated that the reliability would be untouched vs stock, as in the car would be just as reliable as without a flash. The TPC is only needed if you want more power/faster shifts and if you "get on the car" a whole lot. For my use case, this is my wife's daily commuter and she isn't going to be abusing the car much (hopefully lol) so i suspect it would have the same reliability if you treated it the same way when its in stock form. That said, if you beat on it when its stock it may also be less reliable and more prone to having issues early on. We currently have 45K miles on the car, the tune was literally just flashed yesterday and have since driven only 100 miles so far. No noticeable differences other than what i mentioned about mpg and responsiveness so far. No lights or anything, was a fairly easy process. BTW i got a deal from Sean so PM me if you're interested in some tips.

As for dyno numbers, i don't have any. Eurocharged claims a 480hp crank number compared to the 396hp stock number. I will say my butt dyno def feels a difference lol. With that said however, i will be checking some 0-60 times using the Torque Pro app here in a few days to see if its faster than the claimed stock timings.

If you need any help or have any questions, i may be a noob but i am more than happy to help address whatever questions you got. We are all learning together. If anything breaks or goes bad i'd be the first to mention. I will also add that i plan to do oil changes every 5k miles and spark plugs every 35k miles.
The following users liked this post:
Albert Bell (12-16-2022)
Old 06-30-2024, 03:55 AM

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts
2013 E350 Facelift (Japan Import) 2007 E350 Elegance Wagon, 2014 E350 Wagon facelift model Jap Model
So I called Eurocharged's main number listed on their website and spoke with Sean who is their 2nd in command. He approves all the sales and orders when they come in. He shared with me that i only needed the ECU tune and nothing else was necessary. He also stated that the reliability would be untouched vs stock, as in the car would be just as reliable as without a flash. The TPC is only needed if you want more power/faster shifts and if you "get on the car" a whole lot. For my use case, this is my wife's daily commuter and she isn't going to be abusing the car much (hopefully lol) so i suspect it would have the same reliability if you treated it the same way when its in stock form. That said, if you beat on it when its stock it may also be less reliable and more prone to having issues early on. We currently have 45K miles on the car, the tune was literally just flashed yesterday and have since driven only 100 miles so far. No noticeable differences other than what i mentioned about mpg and responsiveness so far. No lights or anything, was a fairly easy process. BTW i got a deal from Sean so PM me if you're interested in some tips.

As for dyno numbers, i don't have any. Eurocharged claims a 480hp crank number compared to the 396hp stock number. I will say my butt dyno def feels a difference lol. With that said however, i will be checking some 0-60 times using the Torque Pro app here in a few days to see if its faster than the claimed stock timings.

If you need any help or have any questions, i may be a noob but i am more than happy to help address whatever questions you got. We are all learning together. If anything breaks or goes bad i'd be the first to mention. I will also add that i plan to do oil changes every 5k miles and spark plugs every 35k miles.
Hi mate, looking at buying one of these but a Wagon imported from Japan, I am an Aussie, just wondering how you are going since the Tune was added to your car, how's it been so far?