Sponsored by:

Moving to Germany......Have questions!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2021, 02:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 567 Likes on 391 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
I experienced that same attitude with a dealer near me when I was first looking at the E63. But I didn't bother to push the issue because they only had a 2016 in stock at that time and I was already focused on the 2018.

Generally, I haven't bought cars off the lot out of dealer inventory and usually order them with my desired options. The exception being my Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and Honda Minivan which were both already loaded with all the options available. Both cars had the standard 3 ish miles on them and hadn't been test driven by others.

If I had been interested in an E63 that was in inventory, I wouldn't have wanted to plunk down $100+ k on a car that had probably or even possibly have been flogged during the test drive within the break-in period.

Fortunately I was able to go the European Delivery route and special order the car and pick it up at the factory, ensuring it had all my desired options and that it hadn't been flogged by anyone.

Given that I'm not unique in not wanting to purchase a pre-flogged new car, I can understand why some dealers don't want to allow the car to be test driven because there are a subset of buyers for whom that car is no longer a candidate. Other buyers might consider the pre-flogged car, but only at a discount.
Old 08-03-2021, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 448 Likes on 357 Posts
2015 CLS 550 2015 ML 400 Previous 2020 GLB 250 2019 A 220 2005 ML 350 1989 300 E 2001 SL 500
Originally Posted by E63S Hopeful
I just need a dealer to get off their 'high horse' and allow me to test one out. When a dealer tells me "the only way we'll let you test this, is if you agree to buy it", or "we've marked it up because we're the only dealer in the area that has one", they just lost a buyer. I know its a rare car at the moment, but I prefer making an educated decision vs. an emotional one when it comes to buying a six figure vehicle.

Maybe I'll find one I can test.

Mike
Doesn't look like there are any near you.
Most E 63's are sold without a test drive. Buyers know what they want.
Can't imagine a dealer is going to let you put miles on a car you aren't going to buy.
The people who do buy these cars don't want them with a bunch of test drive miles.
It sucks, but that's the way it is.
I would say try to find a used one to test drive.
The 21 is going to be nicer than that.
Old 08-03-2021, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,900 Likes on 2,609 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by E634Me
Given that I'm not unique in not wanting to purchase a pre-flogged new car, I can understand why some dealers don't want to allow the car to be test driven because there are a subset of buyers for whom that car is no longer a candidate. Other buyers might consider the pre-flogged car, but only at a discount.
I agree. That's part of the issue. I actually never bought off the lot, either, and this is part of why. But I always said dealerships should have demo cars instead of using actual inventory for test drives. This is how it works in Europe. The dealerships get a fleet of demo cars so customers can test drive them and then order one to their spec. It's all a bit backwards in this country. Tesla essentially does it the right way. They have a demo fleet you can go test drive at their stores, but then you order yours online.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 448 Likes on 357 Posts
2015 CLS 550 2015 ML 400 Previous 2020 GLB 250 2019 A 220 2005 ML 350 1989 300 E 2001 SL 500
Originally Posted by superswiss
I'm totally with you. This is the attitude BMW dealers had for a very long time with their M models, specifically the M3/4 and is why I never bought one. The idea of having to endure a credit check and sign papers just so they let me test drive one is insulting. I guess you have to show up with a briefcase full of cash, and then maybe they let you drive one....haha. Having said that I bought my RS5 effectively sight unseen and did European Delivery. First time I drove one was mine after flying to Germany and taking delivery. However, I did my due diligence and I just knew I was gonna like it. Before that I only saw one in person at the San Francisco Auto Show and it was locked, so couldn't even sit in it. The RS5 was limited production, so there simply were none to test drive. All orders were sold orders, but back then the dealerships at least the ones I talked to didn't do the whole markup. Well, that's not quite true. I didn't get the ED discount, so technically I guess it was a markup on top of the ED price, but the ED discount is technically at the discretion of the dealership and not guaranteed. I did get loyalty discount, though.

I effectively bought my '19 C63S sight unseen, too, because it was the FL and there were also none to test drive. I test drove the PFL and actually didn't like it as much, but with all the changes the FL had I knew it had all the things fixed that I didn't like about the PFL. In this case, though, I eventually found one to test drive before I flew to Germany, so I could have still cancelled the order if I truly didn't like it.
That's because BMW dealers get a bunch of dreamers that just want to flog a car. I worked for BMW for 7 years and it was a never ending stream of people who had no business looking at an M car.
Selling M's and AMG's the vast majority buy a car without test driving it. They know the car, they know what they want. What are you going to learn on a test drive?
You can't flog the car. Hell, the E 90 M3's were boring on a test drive since the V8 really didn't impress till you passed 6000 RPM. We wouldn't let anyone rev it that high since you weren't supposed to exceed 4500 RPM for the first 1,000 miles.
BMW and M-B give cars to auto journalists so the buyers can get an expert opinion.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,900 Likes on 2,609 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by mercedesmax
That's because BMW dealers get a bunch of dreamers that just want to flog a car. I worked for BMW for 7 years and it was a never ending stream of people who had no business looking at an M car.
Selling M's and AMG's the vast majority buy a car without test driving it. They know the car, they know what they want. What are you going to learn on a test drive?
You can't flog the car. Hell, the E 90 M3's were boring on a test drive since the V8 really didn't impress till you passed 6000 RPM. We wouldn't let anyone rev it that high since you weren't supposed to exceed 4500 RPM for the first 1,000 miles.
BMW and M-B give cars to auto journalists so the buyers can get an expert opinion.
Yes, I'm fully aware of this situation and I'm not test driving cars to flog them personally. I agree with you, as a buyer in this segment I know the cars and I know what I want, but the main thing I'm looking for in a test drive is to see if the car is livable in normal driving. How's the ride and whether I'm comfortable in it. Those are subjective and no reviewer can tell me that. I agree you don't learn much from a dealer test drive. I actually use Turo and other services to really get a feel for the car. What irks me is that they treat everybody like a joyrider by default. Do I need to show them my portfolio to be taken seriously? I'm certainly not letting them run a credit check and take a hit on my credit score just to test drive a car. Especially since I pay cash.

Last edited by superswiss; 08-03-2021 at 07:24 PM.