Sponsored by:

2020 W213 squeaks and rattles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2021, 01:21 AM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
2020 e63s wagon
2020 W213 squeaks and rattles

I've got a 2020 W213 with about 9000 miles. There are a couple squeaks and rattles; I plan to try to have them addressed at the dealer, but wanted to see if these are common NVH issues to help the dealer identify/fix them.

The most severe is the rear cargo cover. When installed it tends to be quiet for a while and then develops a really dramatic rattle. I can't find anything "loose" in it, but usually taking it off resolves the problem. Not a great solution as I really like to have my rear cargo area covered.

Even with the cargo cover removed there is a less dramatic rattling that occurs. I've taken out anything loose that I can find, including the little fold-up crate that is stored underneath the load floor. I feel like I can stimulate some noise by knocking on the headliner in the cargo area. Are there any commonly known "rattle points" back there?

Finally the driver's seat has an annoying squeak when driving even moderately aggressively. I'm sure this could be resolved with some grease; anybody know where I might apply this?

Thanks for any suggestions. I bought the car used and am trying to get the "new mercedes" experience out of it!
Old 10-10-2021, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 529 Posts
go fast grocery getter wagon
I had a rear rattle that baffled me and the dealer for a long time (about 1.5 yrs and 3 trips to dealer) before the dealer decided once and for all to remove the entire headliner and they found the panoroof track rail was not tightened to spec. at the factory and once they did, everything was good.

In my case, the weird thing was the noise seemed to be somewhere at the trunk area, I would never anticipated the rattle noise was the roof and sound just traveled downward (per se). Therefore, it would be recommended to tell the dealer to remove all trim panels, (top and side) and have another dealer technician ride in the back seats to listen for the noise. Sometimes, the wiring can rub against the trim panels too and causing the noise.

Last edited by bobblehead; 10-10-2021 at 08:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
igxqrrl (10-11-2021)
Old 10-10-2021, 10:44 AM

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
2020 E63s AMG Wagon, 2014 SL63 AMG, 2019 Audi Q8
Look around the sliding roof. Our 2020 estate had a very annoying rattle. I sat in the back while my wife drove and found a couple of cables underneath, and quelled rattle with a cloth jammed in. We showed it to the dealer, who wondered why MB didn’t put foam around the cables. They did so and the rattle was eliminated forever.
The following users liked this post:
igxqrrl (10-11-2021)
Old 10-11-2021, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 596 Likes on 342 Posts
19 E63s, 23 M3 compX, B9 SQ5
I have the burmiester high end and the driver side door tweeter will rattle when i'm driving along with no music playing... its annoying and I've had the dealer tell me they can't replicate it so they won't replace it.. of course.
Old 10-11-2021, 09:53 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
2020 e63s wagon
This is super helpful -- thanks. I've looked all over around the cargo area, so the rails could be it. I did give them a firm shake with no result, but I'm sure there could be something loose that doesn't manifest in the rails feeling loose.