W213 AMG Discuss the W213 AMG - 2017 to present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sealant/wax on top of 3M Scotchguard film?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 07:38 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 BMW 750Li, 2018 E63S AMG
Sealant/wax on top of 3M Scotchguard film?

I recently wrapped my car with the 3M Scotchguard paint protection film product and I’m trying to find out the best way to care for it. There are mixed opinions on the subject where some people say that it’s only needed to be washed since the film is maintenance free, others mention that the film should be cared for the same way as you would care for the paint so it should be waxed and sealed to extend its lifetime. On my other car I’m using Wolfgang sealant and Pinnacle carnuba wax and I wonder if these two products would be safe for the film. Since the film is made by 3M, I recently looked into their 3M wax and sealant products and found the 3M 39030 Performance Finish Synthetic Wax product which seems to be having pretty good reviews.

My question to you: is it safe to use waxes and sealants (Pinnacle carnuba wax and Wolfgand deep gloss sealant 3.0) on top of my 3M Scotchguard film? If so, which products have you personally used on top of your 3M Scotchguard? I thank everybody in advance for any advice on this (yes, I also sent an inquiry to 3M about it but I very much trust opinions on this forum).
Old 08-24-2018, 02:41 AM

Received 158 Likes on 116 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon
You can also put ceramic coating on top of PPF, get the waxed look and beading without ever waxing.
The following 2 users liked this post by Carac:
infamily (08-28-2018), Pbl1 (10-12-2021)
Old 08-24-2018, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Carac
You can also put ceramic coating on top of PPF, get the waxed look and beading without ever waxing.
Inferring from your answer, I take it that is safe to wax, seal and/or coat your PPF, correct? If so, do you know of specific products which work well with 3M Scotchguard PPF?
Old 08-24-2018, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 664 Likes on 512 Posts
go fast grocery getter wagon
pretty well any of the wax, sealant and ceramic coating stuff will work on the film. It just comes down to your preference.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:58 AM

Carac/bubblehead - thanks for your replies. At this point I’m looking for something more definite because of the two schools of thought I mentioned above. The PPF porous material was itself a point of contention: some people say that it’s good to use a wax/sealant/etc to seal the porous surface while others argue against that reasoning that the film must “breathe” by its design. Maybe one PPF manufacturer allows wax/sealants while other doesn’t. Similarly, maybe some sealants/waxes work on one type/brand of PPF but may not work on another PPF brand.

I’m hoping that somebody on this forum has had specific experience with 3M PPF in the past and can shed some more light on this topic.
Old 08-25-2018, 08:35 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
535XIT, E63S
Originally Posted by tirzaman
I recently wrapped my car with the 3M Scotchguard paint protection film product and I’m trying to find out the best way to care for it. There are mixed opinions on the subject where some people say that it’s only needed to be washed since the film is maintenance free, others mention that the film should be cared for the same way as you would care for the paint so it should be waxed and sealed to extend its lifetime. On my other car I’m using Wolfgang sealant and Pinnacle carnuba wax and I wonder if these two products would be safe for the film. Since the film is made by 3M, I recently looked into their 3M wax and sealant products and found the 3M 39030 Performance Finish Synthetic Wax product which seems to be having pretty good reviews.

My question to you: is it safe to use waxes and sealants (Pinnacle carnuba wax and Wolfgand deep gloss sealant 3.0) on top of my 3M Scotchguard film? If so, which products have you personally used on top of your 3M Scotchguard? I thank everybody in advance for any advice on this (yes, I also sent an inquiry to 3M about it but I very much trust opinions on this forum).
I am interested in the 3M Scotchgard., can you provide details and cost?
Old 08-27-2018, 10:23 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E class
Originally Posted by V70cat

I am interested in the 3M Scotchgard., can you provide details and cost?
Hi V70cat,

As a distributor of 3M Scotchgard, I would love to connect you to a few certified dealers in your area. You will find pricing varies based on the year, make, model and trim of your vehicle along with the amount of coverage you would like. Our dealer locator can be found here: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/post-fac...-an-installer/

I am also working on verification of care instructions for Tirzaman. Stand by!
Old 08-28-2018, 09:13 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E class

3M Recommends Meguiar's Quik Detailer or any non-abrasive wax.
Old 08-28-2018, 11:42 AM

Thanks a lot for your reply!

Here’s what I got for 3M (they’re showcasing their products):
”We recommend using one of the following products as other brand products we have not tested and could potentially scratch the surface of the film. Let us know if you have any further questions.Perfect-It Show Car Past Wax (PN: 39526)
Perfect-It Show Car Liquid Was (PN: 39026)
One Step Cleaner Wax (PN: 39006)
Synthetic Wax Protectant (PN: 39030)“

Then I asked them to get me the Engineering answer (not the Marketing/Sales one) and they came back with:
”Waxing/Sealing doesn't hurt the longevity. Doesn't really help either. Especially the Pro Series since the clear coat kind of acts like a wax by lowering the surface energy. It comes down to personal preference."

So, other than the list of their products (which appears to be 100% marketing) everything seems to be generic answers.

You mention Meguiar Quick Detailing spray but are other detailing sprays Ok (ex: Wolfgang)? Also, how do you determine a non-abrasive wax versus an abrasive one?

Another 3M installer recommended ProSkin which apparently is made specifically to protect PPFs.

At this time, unless I get further clarification, I’m inclined to go with a combination of Meguiar quick detailer spray (for cleaning bugs, bird drops, etc) and use ProSkin and 3M’s 39030 Synthetic Wax Protectant for protection and overall maintenance.

Again, I appreciate any additional feedback on this. Thanks!

The following users liked this post:
tonecas (09-06-2018)
Old 04-12-2019, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 232 Likes on 188 Posts
Shanks’s Pony
So, a big climb down for me....After washing my car yesterday and starting the polishing process today, I've spotted a large number of stone chip "imperfections". Let's say max 10 (tiny) chips or damage to clear coat. P1$$e$$ me off as I am not a tailgater and very alert to not getting chips.

I've never had this before and not sure I can live with it for another couple of years....... I am getting quotes for a PPF.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:16 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GTS, AMG E63S, GLC300
It's best to get a body wrap or PPF when the vehicle is new----the reasoning being that there will be less paint correction needed. Blemishes, dings, etc. left on the paint will be magnified by the application of the PPF body wrap. Any blemishes, damage, residue, old wax, etc. needs to be addressed for best application. Ceramic coating, like CQuartz Finest Reserve, after the body wrap is complete makes it much easier to care for the the vehicle.
Old 04-13-2019, 02:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Shanks’s Pony
Originally Posted by Ken Doo
It's best to get a body wrap or PPF when the vehicle is new----.
Yes thanks that is a bit obvious.....
Old 04-13-2019, 09:38 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GTS, AMG E63S, GLC300
The not so obvious part that sucks in your case is having to do repairs to the chips/damage and paint correction too. A bit more work for the shop but I'm sure your car will turn out great.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Shanks’s Pony
Thanks. I'm sure it will be fine otherwise - I'll get a front end respray in a year or so (still contemplating that instead of film).

The chips are miniscule and there only a few.

It has always had a quality sealer on the paint and the correction will be minimal. I might even do it myself (I have a DA machine) I'm more concerned about knife cuts in the paint from the people installing the film. Seen some ugly work and am looking for people that use precut film from templates (electronic) or knifeless tape.

I'm sure it will look fine.
Old 04-13-2019, 04:02 PM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
skoda octavia MkII 2.0
Pre-cut films can look ugly too...
Find a good installer
rorywquin (04-16-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Shanks’s Pony
Yep - only worried about cuts into the paint.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:10 PM

Received 158 Likes on 116 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon
A good installer uses a blade without touching the paint. The easiest way is to go to a shop and see a car in progress to get a feel for quality/skill.
The following 2 users liked this post by Carac:
Pbl1 (10-12-2021), rorywquin (04-16-2019)
Old 10-12-2021, 08:11 AM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
'21 E63 S wagon, 2017 NSX, 2013 458 Italia, 1963 P1800
Thanks, Mindinnen. As you can see, nobody provided any specific answer about protecting 3M PPF.
I don’t think you should be concerned about protecting PPF, try to enhance the film to bring out the best shine and depth you can as any film will not ever (hopefully someday that will change) be able to reflect light as paint itself will if corrected fully to be as flat as possible (like glass). All film today have a small texture from the manufacturing process that can’t be removed where as paint can be corrected fully. The best I’ve been able to do on my cars is to first do a complete paint correction followed by PPF and than a fine DA polish to film followed by a couple of coats of ceramic ( I’ve been using Gtechniq -CSL), very easy to apply and couple of years of longevity.
Old 10-12-2021, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Pbl1
I don’t think you should be concerned about protecting PPF, try to enhance the film to bring out the best shine and depth you can as any film will not ever (hopefully someday that will change) be able to reflect light as paint itself will if corrected fully to be as flat as possible (like glass). All film today have a small texture from the manufacturing process that can’t be removed where as paint can be corrected fully. The best I’ve been able to do on my cars is to first do a complete paint correction followed by PPF and than a fine DA polish to film followed by a couple of coats of ceramic ( I’ve been using Gtechniq -CSL), very easy to apply and couple of years of longevity.
Thanks for the advice. I also like Gtechniq and I’ll check out their CSL product.
Old 10-12-2021, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
What he said. And to be honest, isn't PPF supposed to simply be a protection for your paint? If you have to jump through all these hoops to protect the protector, might as well just ceramic coat your paint and wait to respray if it gets damaged some years down the line (vs removing PPF when it does get damaged years down the line)
HBerman (10-12-2021)
Old 10-12-2021, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 162 Posts
Trek Bike
Sorry, not familiar with the terms in Bold.
Can you please elaborate ?
Thx!
Old 10-13-2021, 12:05 AM

Received 179 Likes on 136 Posts
2021 E63s, 2018 GLC43, 2014 E63
dual action polisher
Old 10-13-2021, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 162 Posts
Trek Bike
Originally Posted by taphil
dual action polisher