W213 AMG Discuss the W213 AMG - 2017 to present

Things I should know

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2022 | 03:12 PM

W213 E63S AMG
Things I should know

Good afternoon, folks,

I got a big promotion a few months ago, and my wife told me I should get myself something nice to celibrate. Me being a car guy, of course I've chosen to go with a second car thats a little more visceral. I'm a father and I would like something a bit more practical, so 2 seaters are out, and I'm budgeting for a $150k purchase for the car, plus FLIR camera, and radar/laser counter measures. So naturally, that has lead me to the W213 E63S sedan. This will be my first Mercedes, first AMG, and first $100k+ car, so I'm stopping by here in search of any known issues with them and other things I should be on the lookout for. I'll be on the hunt for a low mile car, sub 10k miles, and my biggest worry is buying one that was abused durring it's break in period. Is there a way to know? Surely the dealer has a way to find out? I also plan to keep this car for the long haul, and maybe make some smaller modifications to it over time. Any and all advice is welcomed!

Thank you,
Lou
Old 06-22-2022 | 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Congrats on the promotion, and good choice on a vehicle. At that low mileage you really won't find many mechanical issues, any additional wear from the car being "beat on" will probably not be apparent EXCEPT the brakes. You will see tons of extra wear on rear brakes if the TC has been stepping in more often. I'd get a good PPI and really get granular with the brakes even if they're CCB's. You can usually tell how well a car has been taken care of, I know I'm maniacal about taking care of mine.
The following users liked this post:
Lou_Manatii (06-22-2022)
Old 06-22-2022 | 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

go fast grocery getter wagon
For that kinds of budget, why not get new as there is supposedly MY23 coming, although not yet confirmed for N American market. Hopefully, dealers are not adding any ridiculous ADM amount onto it.
Lou_Manatii (06-22-2022)
Old 06-22-2022 | 07:53 PM

W213 E63S AMG
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
Congrats on the promotion, and good choice on a vehicle. At that low mileage you really won't find many mechanical issues, any additional wear from the car being "beat on" will probably not be apparent EXCEPT the brakes. You will see tons of extra wear on rear brakes if the TC has been stepping in more often. I'd get a good PPI and really get granular with the brakes even if they're CCB's. You can usually tell how well a car has been taken care of, I know I'm maniacal about taking care of mine.
This was very helpful, thank you! I will deffinately check the rear brakes.
Old 06-22-2022 | 07:57 PM

W213 E63S AMG
Originally Posted by bobblehead
For that kinds of budget, why not get new as there is supposedly MY23 coming, although not yet confirmed for N American market. Hopefully, dealers are not adding any ridiculous ADM amount onto it.
So I asked the salesman at my local dealership about that, and he confirmed that they will be available, but didn't have any more information at the time I spoke to him. I'm expecting a text from him tomorrow evening with more information. I'll keep you posted on what i find out.

I may go that route, but I'm expecting a signifigant price difference on that one.
Old 06-23-2022 | 10:45 AM

E63s SL550 GL450
I did a quick search on autotrader for used and new 2020 and 2021 E63s models. Came up with 50+, which included some wagons, that have mileage in your search parameter. Prices go from $105,000 up to the ceiling of your budget. Not sure what your color preference is, however the selection is pretty good and the prices seem to have leveled off a little from six months ago. Congratulations of the new position and good luck with your search for the perfect car.
Lou_Manatii (06-23-2022)
Old 06-23-2022 | 11:09 AM

W213 E63S AMG
Originally Posted by Sunbeltgolfer11
I did a quick search on autotrader for used and new 2020 and 2021 E63s models. Came up with 50+, which included some wagons, that have mileage in your search parameter. Prices go from $105,000 up to the ceiling of your budget. Not sure what your color preference is, however the selection is pretty good and the prices seem to have leveled off a little from six months ago. Congratulations of the new position and good luck with your search for the perfect car.
Thank you! I'm looking for that satin blue or grey, or a gloss black, 5 spoke wheels, and carbon/black interior, but I'd sacrifice paint color or wheel options for heated/ventilated/massaging seats, lol. Papa is starting to feel the age in his back. Lol.
Old 06-23-2022 | 11:46 AM

E63s SL550 GL450
Originally Posted by Lou_Manatii
Thank you! I'm looking for that satin blue or grey, or a gloss black, 5 spoke wheels, and carbon/black interior, but I'd sacrifice paint color or wheel options for heated/ventilated/massaging seats, lol. Papa is starting to feel the age in his back. Lol.
My 2021 sedan has the active multi contour seats with massage function and for me was a must have. We have taken a couple longer trips with it and the massage function was nice to have even though the seats are so comfortable we didn't really need it. Matching wanted options to a used model may make the search a little more difficult. I looked for a "lightly used" one for over a year and finally placed an order. I was fortunate to be able to get everything I wanted and maybe one of the last builds before the chip shortage. The last cars being delivered for the 2021 model year were missing the active multi contour seat with massage. Hope you find what you want.
Lou_Manatii (06-23-2022)
Old 06-23-2022 | 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Lou_Manatii
I was in a BAD car accident before buying my E63 with Performance seats. For the first few months while I was in PT I swore I had made a huge mistake. Now, they're the only seats I find comfortable. My back stays straight and supported the whole time but YMMV. I've test driven an E63 with the massage seats and they are SUPER comfy also. One thing I would be conscious of, the 5 spoke wheels are cast.
Lou_Manatii (06-23-2022)
Old 06-23-2022 | 12:27 PM

W213 E63S AMG
I was in a BAD car accident before buying my E63 with Performance seats. For the first few months while I was in PT I swore I had made a huge mistake. Now, they're the only seats I find comfortable. My back stays straight and supported the whole time but YMMV. I've test driven an E63 with the massage seats and they are SUPER comfy also. One thing I would be conscious of, the 5 spoke wheels are cast.
My heart isn't set on the 5 spoke wheels. Is there a better factory option?
Old 06-23-2022 | 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
The cast wheels are plenty strong and the weight difference with the optional forged wheels is minimal. If you prefer the look of the optional wheels, fine, but from a performance standpoint the standard wheels are not a compromise.
https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg/...im-weight.html

Last edited by whoover; 06-23-2022 at 12:56 PM.
Lou_Manatii (06-24-2022)
Old 06-23-2022 | 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by whoover
The cast wheels are plenty strong and the weight difference with the optional forged wheels is minimal. If you prefer the look of the optional wheels, fine, but from a performance standpoint the standard wheels are not a compromise.
https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg/...im-weight.html
Please don't post misinformation like it's fact. "Plenty strong" doesn't jive with the many instances of factory cast wheels being busted on this very forum. Forged wheels will bend where cast wheels will crack. Forged wheels CAN have less material and maintain strength, but in this case they have similar amounts of material to the cast wheels making them significantly stronger.
Lou_Manatii (06-24-2022)
Old 06-23-2022 | 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S sedan
Please don't post misinformation like it's fact. "Plenty strong" doesn't jive with the many instances of factory cast wheels being busted on this very forum. Forged wheels will bend where cast wheels will crack. Forged wheels CAN have less material and maintain strength, but in this case they have similar amounts of material to the cast wheels making them significantly stronger.
My experience is these wheels are quite strong. I haven't had any problems. Any wheel can get beaten up in a bad-enough hole.
Old 06-26-2022 | 12:22 PM

2019 E63s 2023 gle53
Congrats!

Congrats on your promotion! Also, I love my e63s. I’m a few months into ownership and I look for reasons to drive. Mine is a 2019 but there is a 2021 e63s at knauz Mercedes’ in Chicago I’ve been looking at. Beyond my budget but maybe you should look.
Lou_Manatii (06-27-2022)