W213 AMG Discuss the W213 AMG - 2017 to present

Active Steering Assist Inoperative

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2022 | 06:32 AM

2022 E53
Active Steering Assist Inoperative

Hello. I recently purchased a 2022 E53 Sedan. On the way home a message popped up on the dashboard reading, "Active Steering Assist Inoperative." Every time I start the vehicle the message pops up, as well as "Start Stop assist inoperative.". After only owning it for a week, I have taken the vehicle into the Mercedes Dealership and they have had it for a week. They have tried reinstalling the software but that did not work, and they have not been able to diagnose the issue other than to confirm the two systems are not operable. My car is now sitting at Mercedes while they await more information from the Mercedes HQ.

My question is, has anyone else experienced this and what was the issue and solution. Again, this message popped up the day I took possession of my car so I figure it is a manufacturing issue.

Any guidance would help, thank you in advance.
The following users liked this post:
Mercedes C43 (08-12-2024)
Old 08-07-2022 | 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

go fast grocery getter wagon
Yup. I have a few more electronics malfunction than yours.

My dealer replaced with a new battery and updated all software.

even though yours is very new, mb battery can be the root cause
Old 08-07-2022 | 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

19 E63s(wifeys) & a 21 GLE580
Sounds like my GLE. My pops up “camera inoperable” (and many other warnings) and then there goes my distronic. When I finally get my service appointment time, I had to wait 1.5 months, hopefully they can fix it.
As for guidance, hopefully you get a qualified service tech that can figure it out.
Good luck.
Old 08-09-2022 | 04:43 PM

2022 E53
Turns out they think it is the main control unitand are replacing it today. I hope it works!
Old 08-29-2022 | 07:47 PM
Veteran: Air Force

2021 AMG E63s Wagon
FATAL ATTRACTION...

Had same intermittent issue with Active Steering Assist on my 2021 AMG E63s Wagon since Service A was performed at closer El Paso MB dealership Service Center in May. This morning better Technicians at Albuquerque MB Service, 230-miles away, discovered my issue were bad sensors inside the Fancy AMG Steering Wheel! New steering wheel was ordered and should be installed tomorrow and ready by 5pm. Got a brand new GLC Loaner, much better than GLB. Glad it's covered under warranty. 900+ mile overall Trek good tune up for 1500-mile journey back to Georgia Residence this October. Then will take AMG Wagon up to Maryland maybe through the Dragon.

Made a fatal error of test driving a "Pedestrian" 911 Targa 4S 7-stick next door at the Porsche store. Now my beloved Ducati and Chevy SS manual are disposable and serve no purpose from this day on. The Wife is going to Kill Me...lol
Old 08-30-2022 | 12:13 AM

2022 E53
They are now working on the third part replacement. I beleive they have moved on to the steering wheel module. I have only had the vehicle for 2 of the 6 weeks I have owned it. This sucks. They can't find the part in North America because it is a 2022. I have to wait for the part to come in and then see if it works.
Old 08-31-2022 | 11:24 AM

2021 AMG E63s Wagon
The Good, The Bad, The Targa 4S...

Originally Posted by YVR_E53
They are now working on the third part replacement. I beleive they have moved on to the steering wheel module. I have only had the vehicle for 2 of the 6 weeks I have owned it. This sucks. They can't find the part in North America because it is a 2022. I have to wait for the part to come in and then see if it works.
New Steering wheel was not the Fix. Shop ordered steering wheel module last night. SA will call me back Friday to touch base. Meanwhile might take brand new GLC Loaner (with puddle lights) to Range Friday morning in direction of Tucson on I-10 West.

(Looking at latest 911 Targa YouTube videos. Is Targa GTS manual worth the added expense?)
Old 09-14-2022 | 06:31 PM

2021 AMG E63s Wagon
Purgatory

@YVR_E53 After 15-days my 2021 E63s Wagon is finally repaired. Steering Wheel was Replaced, steering wheel module was replaced then the Shop Forman started scratching his head...lol
Was following progress indirectly 230-miles away with Mercedes Me messages like: open doors/hood/low battery warnings...

Wiring harness inside the steering assembly was the culprit. They repaired harness in-house and will verify with second test drive in the morning. If all goes well will pickup AMG Wagon Friday. 2022 GLC300 brand new Loaner is a great car for my wife but ready to return it for my "Alpha" TTV8.
Old 09-27-2023 | 07:22 PM

2021 E450 All-Terrain
This is going to drive me to get rid of the car, I'm afraid. For three months, I've had the "Active Steering Assist Inoperative" and the "Active Lane Keeping Assist Inoperative" errors. I've been through two new steering wheels, two new modules, and a host of "let's try this" attempts to stop this. The last time, I took it to a different dealer. They found that the ground wire for the latest new steering wheel wasn't attached correctly. I was so happy when I picked it up four days ago as I didn't get a single warning. Then today on my way to work they all came back when my right front wheel his a small pothole. I'm taking it back next week - this will be the fifth visit (second one at this dealer). I'd give up on it if I didn't love the car so much. But my patience is almost at its end. The one time I didn't lease a car, this happens. ARGH!

Old 09-27-2023 | 08:23 PM

2021 AMG E63s Wagon
Originally Posted by Drone_S213
@YVR_E53 After 15-days my 2021 E63s Wagon is finally repaired. Steering Wheel was Replaced, steering wheel module was replaced then the Shop Forman started scratching his head...lol
Was following progress indirectly 230-miles away with Mercedes Me messages like: open doors/hood/low battery warnings...

Wiring harness inside the steering assembly was the culprit. They repaired harness in-house and will verify with second test drive in the morning. If all goes well will pickup AMG Wagon Friday. 2022 GLC300 brand new Loaner is a great car for my wife but ready to return it for my "Alpha" TTV8.
It turned out wiring harness was not the problem. Picked up my car last year and joyful that was giving back brand new GLC Loaner. Drove 1-2 miles and returned to Service Department! Made 500 mile RT for nothing.

Dealer called Tech Center then replaced all the switches on AMG Wagon's Steering Wheel. I believe each switch has 6-8 wires attached. Entire ordeal lasted nearly 3-months. Called MBUSA to initialize buyback. After ABQ MB Shop Forman finally fixed issues got a Call from MBUSA in Georgia. They approved buyback or since my car was finally repaired they gave me second choice of keeping the AMG Wagon plus $5K for pain and suffering. Took the $5K and bought wife Diamond Wedding band last Christmas since we all gained weight since 1996...My wedding band still fits...lol

Knock on wood Active Steering Assist and other two errors have not returned in almost year! Think when our 2021 cars were manufactured after the peak of the Pandemic lots of faulty parts were in the Parts Bin. I originally ordered a 2020 AMG Wagon but onslaught of CV-19 pushed my order to 2021. Missed out on IWC Clock but got updated grill on softer suspension.
​​​​​Good Luck @Kiefer905

Also had 12V starter and Aux Batteries replaced at their cost out of caution since car was sitting for 3-months and ABQ NM dealership is so far away. Ready for East Coast Road trip to ATL, DC area, and Metro NYC with recent front PPF and Ceramic Coating purchase. Fingers crossed!

Last edited by Drone_S213; 09-27-2023 at 10:35 PM.
bobblehead (09-28-2023)
Old 12-13-2023 | 10:53 PM

AMG E53 Sedan
@Drone_S213 Great to know this problem finally got fixed on your car!

I am experiencing the similar issue at the new E53 Sedan. There is message of "Active Steering Assist Inoperative" popped out every time I started the car. And there are more messages like "Active Stop & Go Inoperative" etc popped out after closing the first message. It seems like the entire driving assistance package failed to work as expected. I have to return the car to the dealership service department after 200 miles. It sucks.

Two quick questions:
1) What is the final root cause of the issue? Wires for all steering wheel switches?
2) How long did you wait to get if fully fixed? Any requirement to initiate buy back from Mercedes? I am worried about my car might be a lemon car. Since there are other problems like the car is vibrating from the body to steering wheel at low speed.

Thanks in advance!
Daniel Anker (03-14-2024)
Old 12-14-2023 | 01:34 PM

2021 AMG E63s Wagon
Good Luck

Originally Posted by hw_0912
@Drone_S213 Great to know this problem finally got fixed on your car!

I am experiencing the similar issue at the new E53 Sedan. There is message of "Active Steering Assist Inoperative" popped out every time I started the car. And there are more messages like "Active Stop & Go Inoperative" etc popped out after closing the first message. It seems like the entire driving assistance package failed to work as expected. I have to return the car to the dealership service department after 200 miles. It sucks.

Two quick questions:
1) What is the final root cause of the issue? Wires for all steering wheel switches?
2) How long did you wait to get if fully fixed? Any requirement to initiate buy back from Mercedes? I am worried about my car might be a lemon car. Since there are other problems like the car is vibrating from the body to steering wheel at low speed.

Thanks in advance!
1. Steering wheel switches and wiring FINALLY fixed problem after first replacing steering wheel twice and all steering wheel modules. One would assume switches were the Root Cause?

2. Ordeal lasted nearly 3-months. Initiated Buyback with MBUSA after 45-days. Dealt with Call Center I believe in West Palm Beach and Decision for Buyback was approved by MBUSA HQ in Atlanta Area after AMG Wagon was successfully repaired at ABQ New Mexico Dealership. Instead of Buyback took option to keep Vehicle and $5K check that was issued thru ABQ Dealership.

It was painful driving a brand new GLC Loaner...my residence is 225-miles away. Fortunately had my Chevy SS and Ducati at home to keep me happy. Had planned to travel back East during this time frame but could not drive the Loaner out of State and didn't want to add mileage to my 2015 Chevy. Still put 3000 miles on loaner GLC. Used $5000 check to purchase wife a diamond wedding band Christmas 2022.

Currently have 15,000+ miles on Odometer after visiting friends and Family on Long Island, Owings Mills MD, and Reston, VA. Will head back to GA Residence sometime this weekend for Remaining Holiday Season. Then head back to NM Residence and garage for 2024. AMG wagon got a dusting of Snow early Monday Morning in Reston after Baltimore Ravens beat the LA Rams last Sunday in OT. Looking forward to drive South thru the Mountains on smooth highways: I-66, 81, and 77 to Charlotte. I-85 in SC and GA not as enjoyable as stretch in North Carolina. Glad that I replaced Factory Runflats on dedicated cross spoke wheels with DWS06+ All Season Tires. By time I get back to NM will need Service B performed at 20K miles in ABQ.

Last edited by Drone_S213; 12-14-2023 at 01:46 PM.
hw_0912 (12-14-2023)
Old 08-12-2024 | 08:04 PM

2024c43
Active All Inoperative

[QUOTE=YVR_E53;8612160]Hello. I recently purchased a 2022 E53 Sedan. On the way home a message popped up on the dashboard reading, "Active Steering Assist Inoperative." Every time I start the vehicle the message pops up, as well as "Start Stop assist inoperative.". After only owning it for a week, I have taken the vehicle into the Mercedes Dealership and they have had it for a week. They have tried reinstalling the software but that did not work, and they have not been able to diagnose the issue other than to confirm the two systems are not operable. My car is now sitting at Mercedes while they await more information from the Mercedes HQ.

My question is, has anyone else experienced this and what was the issue and solution. Again, this message popped up the day I took possession of my car so I figure it is a manufacturing issue.

Yes right now! 2024 c43 less than 3500k
1.Active Lane Change Assit Inoperative
2. Active Steering Assist inoperative
3.Active Distance Assist Inoperative
4.Active Emergency Stop Assit Inoperative
5.Active Stop & Go Assist inoperative
6.Active Brake Assist Functions Limited
7.Active Blind Spot Assist I opererative

Have to take it to the dealer … omg!
Old 08-12-2024 | 08:29 PM

AMG E53 Sedan
[QUOTE=Mercedes C43;9015839]
Originally Posted by YVR_E53
Hello. I recently purchased a 2022 E53 Sedan. On the way home a message popped up on the dashboard reading, "Active Steering Assist Inoperative." Every time I start the vehicle the message pops up, as well as "Start Stop assist inoperative.". After only owning it for a week, I have taken the vehicle into the Mercedes Dealership and they have had it for a week. They have tried reinstalling the software but that did not work, and they have not been able to diagnose the issue other than to confirm the two systems are not operable. My car is now sitting at Mercedes while they await more information from the Mercedes HQ.

Yes right now! 2024 c43 less than 3500k
1.Active Lane Change Assit Inoperative
2. Active Steering Assist inoperative
3.Active Distance Assist Inoperative
4.Active Emergency Stop Assit Inoperative
5.Active Stop & Go Assist inoperative
6.Active Brake Assist Functions Limited
7.Active Blind Spot Assist I opererative

Have to take it to the dealer … omg!
There might be something wrong with the sensor modules at the steering wheel. The dealer ordered a new steering wheel and the issue was fixed after the steering wheel replacement
Mercedes C43 (08-12-2024)