Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2023, 07:12 PM

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
2024 GLE580
Newbie Questions on Map Updates and Auto Lock

Cross posted from E Class W213 forum

Hi all,
I've had my 2020 E63s wagon for about a month and have learned a lot from you all so far! Two things I can't seem to sort out are the map updates and the auto lock function.

Cars been trying to download and install the v24 map update for weeks now and it still hasn't completed. Does seem to be making progress each time I check but it seems to be holding at 98%. Is this expected? Any way to force it to complete already?

Other thing I can't figure out is the auto lock setting. Setting is turned on but car doesn't auto lock when I'm driving or when I walk away with the key in my hand as I would expect. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Old 07-22-2023, 07:35 PM

Received 187 Likes on 143 Posts
2024 GLE63s, 2021 E63s, 2018 GLC43
Auto-lock should lock the doors after you drive off above 10mph or something like that. It is not a feature that automatically locks the car when you walk away from it.
Old 07-22-2023, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,705 Likes on 2,471 Posts
2019 C63CS
The map OTA updates have gotten slow. I guess they have grown over the years. They used to install fairly painlessly, but V24 also sat there forever for me. I actually ended up cancelling it. Normally I do a manual update, because the OTA update only updates the home region. I was away when V24 came out, so before I had a chance to start the manual update it started installing the OTA update. When it never seemed to finish, I just superseded it with the manual update. When doing a manual update it installs much quicker, and as a bonus you can update all regions at once.

The latest one is actually V25. It just came out. Downloaded it this morning and inserted the SD card in the car. Will start the installation next time I drive it. The manual download is done from the web portal.

https://www.me.mercedes-benz.com/pas...ap-update.html

The auto lock as mentioned above only locks the car once you start driving off and the wheels turn faster than walking pace. There's no auto lock when walking away from the parked car. Instead you get a notification on your phone after a few minutes if you forgot to lock it and you can lock from the app.
Old 07-22-2023, 10:39 PM

2024 GLE580
Originally Posted by taphil
Auto-lock should lock the doors after you drive off above 10mph or something like that. It is not a feature that automatically locks the car when you walk away from it.
well that's good to know it's only half not working if it's not supposed to lock when you walk away :-)
Old 07-22-2023, 10:40 PM

2024 GLE580
Originally Posted by superswiss
The map OTA updates have gotten slow. I guess they have grown over the years. They used to install fairly painlessly, but V24 also sat there forever for me. I actually ended up cancelling it. Normally I do a manual update, because the OTA update only updates the home region. I was away when V24 came out, so before I had a chance to start the manual update it started installing the OTA update. When it never seemed to finish, I just superseded it with the manual update. When doing a manual update it installs much quicker, and as a bonus you can update all regions at once.

The latest one is actually V25. It just came out. Downloaded it this morning and inserted the SD card in the car. Will start the installation next time I drive it. The manual download is done from the web portal.

https://www.me.mercedes-benz.com/pas...ap-update.html

The auto lock as mentioned above only locks the car once you start driving off and the wheels turn faster than walking pace. There's no auto lock when walking away from the parked car. Instead you get a notification on your phone after a few minutes if you forgot to lock it and you can lock from the app.
good info on the map update, I'll try manually updating it. Really surprising how far Mercedes is behind with OTA updates!
Old 07-23-2023, 10:14 AM

2024 GLE580
wow that online update process is impressively bad. Got the downloader installed but it won't recognize I'm logged in to the Mercedes.Me site or that I already have a USB stick inserted. This is why everyone uses CarPlay.
Old 07-23-2023, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by 1car-nut
wow that online update process is impressively bad. Got the downloader installed but it won't recognize I'm logged in to the Mercedes.Me site or that I already have a USB stick inserted. This is why everyone uses CarPlay.
Never had any issues. I've been doing these updates since 2019 about twice a year. Has worked flawlessly every time. I am on Windows and using Chrome, though. I've read that the download manager has its issues on MacOS. Also make sure your USB stick is formatted using the MBR partition scheme and not GPT. I'm using an SD card, since my C63 has an SD card slot in the armrest, but USB stick should work fine as well. I've formatted it using NTFS.

Last edited by superswiss; 07-23-2023 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-23-2023, 05:38 PM

2024 GLE580
Originally Posted by superswiss
Never had any issues. I've been doing these updates since 2019 about twice a year. Has worked flawlessly every time. I am on Windows and using Chrome, though. I've read that the download manager has its issues on MacOS. Also make sure your USB stick is formatted using the MBR partition scheme and not GPT. I'm using an SD card, since my C63 has an SD card slot in the armrest, but USB stick should work fine as well. I've formatted it using NTFS.
Windows 11, the latest chrome and an ntfs formatted USB and still no luck with the download manager. Guess it can wait until the cars at the dealer in a few months since I've never once tried the native maps and likely never will
Old 07-23-2023, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by 1car-nut
Windows 11, the latest chrome and an ntfs formatted USB and still no luck with the download manager. Guess it can wait until the cars at the dealer in a few months since I've never once tried the native maps and likely never will
Yeah not sure what to tell you. The process has always been straight forward for me. I'm still on Windows 10, but that shouldn't matter. The download manager is a Java app. Are you launching the download manager from the website by clicking "Launch Download Manager"? Also make sure the USB stick is empty and large enough. It won't work if there are files on it already.

If you get "Storage medium not found", then the USB stick is either not empty, not using MBR or appears to the system as a hard disk instead of as removable media.

Old 07-29-2023, 11:12 AM

2024 GLE580
I did finally get it to work. What worked for me was:
1. Win10 laptop with latest chrome
2. Sign-in to Mercedes Me before downloading and launching the Mercedes Download Manager
3. Re-format my USB stick 3x with NTFS
4. Start nav in the car and insert USB stick with downloaded updates
4. Turn-off auto update of maps in the car
5.Drive around and let map update v25 fully load

So all seems to be updated now and once using the built in maps was enough to convince me I'll likely never use it again and will just use CarPlay with Waze instead. That's fine i bought this car for the biturbo v8 not the tech!