Upgrage Comfort Seats to Performance Seats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2024, 01:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
E63S
Upgrage Comfort Seats to Performance Seats

Hey Everyone,
I have W213 AMG E63S and I was wondering if anyone on here has ever converted/changed their comfort seats (massaging seats) into the performance seats. I waited and looked around to buy my W213 with performance seats but couldn't locate one in FOREVER. The one I got literally checked every single box aside from the seats, so I went with it.

Is this doable?
If so, any special programming involved?
Aside from programming would it bolt on easily?
Would you do it if you were me?

This summer I am getting the lowering module and spacers. I'd like to get the performance seats by late summer or early fall. Thanks in advance, I appreciate the insight.

Here some pics of my ride

Old 02-20-2024, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 559 Likes on 369 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Very doable, you'd just have to source the seats and reprogram the car to accept them. They're awesome.
The following users liked this post:
SEXYBEAST (02-20-2024)
Old 02-20-2024, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,827 Likes on 2,557 Posts
2019 C63CS
To be honest, I have not really seen a successful conversion. The ones that I've seen being attempted ended up with permanent airbag warnings. The only successful conversion of the seats in an AMG from what I remember required hardware to convert signals. There are also several different variants of the performance seats, so for starters you have to source the correct one. With and w/o heating, w/ and w/o ventilation, w/ and w/o thigh extension and there might be other minor differences between models. The ones in the AMG GT coupe for example don't have the thigh extension.

That said, if you manage to do it, it's well worth it. The performance seats are one of the best aspects of an AMG. They are a unicorn especially for the W213, because most people think they are uncomfortable, but that couldn't be further from the truth. Recaro knows seats. I've yet to sit in an uncomfortable Recaro seat, but admittedly you have to be somewhat in good shape to lift yourself over the bolsters as not to ruin the leather over time from constantly sliding over it.

Last edited by superswiss; 02-20-2024 at 03:35 PM.
Rover338 (02-23-2024)
Old 02-20-2024, 07:36 PM

Received 111 Likes on 54 Posts
2023 E63S AMG - Grey Magno
sell current and buy new car with seats you want
Old 02-23-2024, 09:56 AM

E63S
Thanks man, I haven't seen a conversation either but honestly that is all that is missing to make my ride complete in my eyes. I appreciate all the information. If I go this route i'll definitely post it and might even make a youtube video about. Thankfully I'm in good shape so the restrictions some may face wont be an issue for me.
TugboatBill (02-23-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 09:59 AM

E63S
Do you have a website? Have you seen anyone else try this? Any suggestions/advice?
Old 02-25-2024, 03:41 AM

Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts
CLS400 4Matic EC Tuned
I would contact https://www.mbhouse.ca

They're located in Toronto but provide remote coding services and might be able to do it. They've done a bunch of retrofitting projects. I myself am looking for a 2018-2019 E63s with the performance seats as well. Been searching for a year (also looking for Burmester 3D high end sound system + carbon interior as well). Personally, I'm just gonna wait till the spec I want pops up rather than doing the retrofit route as it could be a headache + costly for the seats themselves.

Congrats on the E63s.
Jay_Kingsman (02-26-2024)
Old 02-25-2024, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 231 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
BTW, comforts seats are not the same as massaging seats. Comfort seats are the default, and massage comes with the upgrade to multi-contour seats. I realize you don't want either, but you should be clear on what you have before setting out on a complex upgrade.
Old 02-25-2024, 12:34 PM

Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts
CLS400 4Matic EC Tuned
Originally Posted by whoover
BTW, comforts seats are not the same as massaging seats. Comfort seats are the default, and massage comes with the upgrade to multi-contour seats. I realize you don't want either, but you should be clear on what you have before setting out on a complex upgrade.
That’s in the US. All Canadian ones come from the factory with massaging seats.
Old 02-25-2024, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 562 Likes on 386 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
As I specifically ordered my car with every option I wanted, I chose the heated and ventilated active multicontour seats. To chose the performance seats for me would have been a downgrade as I would have had to forego other options.

To each their own, but I couldn't characterize it as an upgrade from comfort seats to performance seats but rather a refit.

I drive the car regularly on some pretty twisty mountain roads in SoCal and the multcontour seats do OK. In the moment when I'm ripping up/down Palomar Mountain I'm sure I'd rather be in the performance seats but as the car spends 99.9x% of its time exposed to less lateral loads, my passengers and I get more use out of the multicontour seats and other features I'd have had to forego with the performance seats. While I did make a conscious decision not to get the performance seats, I did however get the CCB option which provides me some daily benefit (zero brake dust) and is also useful for those canyon carving days.

The performance seats and CCBs seems kind of hand in glove so I'm surprised a brake swap isn't also on the to-do list . . . :-)
Old 02-25-2024, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 313 Likes on 231 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by Idklol69
That’s in the US. All Canadian ones come from the factory with massaging seats.
Good to know, but they're still not "comfort seats."
Old 02-26-2024, 10:45 AM

E63S
I have the carbon ceramic brakes already. I am more than happy with them.
Old 02-26-2024, 10:49 AM

E63S
Thanks man, they are not far from me either. My mechanic shop is literally across the road from them but every time I've tried to go in they've been closed. It's hard to find one exactly how I wanted but this one had everything but the seats lol sucks but I can live with it
Old 02-26-2024, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 E63S AMG
Originally Posted by Jay_Kingsman
I have the carbon ceramic brakes already. I am more than happy with them.
Did you swap them already?

Your photos show the brakes as steel.

The CCB have yellow painted calipers.
Old 02-26-2024, 11:02 AM

E63S
Originally Posted by E634Me
Did you swap them already?

Your photos show the brakes as steel.

The CCB have yellow painted calipers.
LOL nah man you just can't see them in the pics, they are red and ceramic.
Old 02-26-2024, 12:31 PM

Received 106 Likes on 60 Posts
2020 AMG E63S Wagon, 2021 Subaru Outback Limited XT
If somebody told you your car has CCBs, they were lying. As E634Me pointed out, on these cars red calipers = steel brakes. You might have aftermarket ceramic brake pads, but that is something different.
Old 02-26-2024, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 E63S AMG
Originally Posted by imack
If somebody told you your car has CCBs, they were lying. As E634Me pointed out, on these cars red calipers = steel brakes. You might have aftermarket ceramic brake pads, but that is something different.
+1 I have ceramic pads on my F-250 and a couple other cars, but they have steel rotors.

The CCB are carbon ceramic disks and matching pads. It is a ~$9500 option for the CCBs and they have yellow calipers.

imack (02-26-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Although this is for the C63 it shows the different AMG brakes. Above posters are correct, the red calipers are the S Composite Brakes. They use steel rotors. Not bad brakes at all, but you might wanna look into aftermarket full floating rotors. They are a lot cheaper than the OE rotors, too.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg/...akes-e63s.html

Here's what the Brembo full floating rotors look like.

imack (02-26-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 01:01 PM

E63S
Originally Posted by imack
LOL why would someone have to tell me that they are ceramic?? Why would I lie about having ceramic brake??
Old 02-26-2024, 01:04 PM

E63S
I love how my thread has turned into a Brake thread LMAO
Old 02-26-2024, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 786 Likes on 534 Posts
2018 AMG E43
This may be a simple misunderstanding of the specific definition of the AMG Carbon Ceramic Brake (CCB) package/option.

As stated above, CCB is not just ceramic pads, but unique calipers, carbon ceramic rotors and pads. It is a special and fairly expensive option.

A simple way to determine if they are CCBs (beyond paint color) can be seen in the front calipers. The CCB calipers are almost a full quarter moon shape, the edge that faces the hub is almost perfectly straight and there are two socket head cap bolts on the OD face of the caliper.

If you don't have the CCB option, you have steel/iron brakes.

Last edited by Keith66; 02-26-2024 at 04:43 PM.
imack (02-26-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 218 Likes on 179 Posts
E63
Originally Posted by superswiss
To be honest, I have not really seen a successful conversion. The ones that I've seen being attempted ended up with permanent airbag warnings. The only successful conversion of the seats in an AMG from what I remember required hardware to convert signals. There are also several different variants of the performance seats, so for starters you have to source the correct one. With and w/o heating, w/ and w/o ventilation, w/ and w/o thigh extension and there might be other minor differences between models. The ones in the AMG GT coupe for example don't have the thigh extension.

That said, if you manage to do it, it's well worth it. The performance seats are one of the best aspects of an AMG. They are a unicorn especially for the W213, because most people think they are uncomfortable, but that couldn't be further from the truth. Recaro knows seats. I've yet to sit in an uncomfortable Recaro seat, but admittedly you have to be somewhat in good shape to lift yourself over the bolsters as not to ruin the leather over time from constantly sliding over it.
I will say the above couldn't be more wrong for the average E-class driver.
It's not the seats that are uncomfortable, it is getting in and out of them. Once in, they are comfortable (most German bucket seats tend to be comfortable once you are settled in), but getting out can be a pain
imack (02-26-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by kponti
I will say the above couldn't be more wrong for the average E-class driver.
It's not the seats that are uncomfortable, it is getting in and out of them. Once in, they are comfortable (most German bucket seats tend to be comfortable once you are settled in), but getting out can be a pain
That's not a comfort issue, that's a being out of shape issue.
Old 02-26-2024, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2018 E63S AMG
Or being in typical condition for someone above a certain age . . .

Not everyone is fortunate enough to be able to afford an E63s while young and spry. It can be difficult loading passengers into some cars when showing off the shiny new ride to a parent or grandparent.

I've got no issues whatsoever with someone preferring the performance seats - debated quite a while myself but opted not to because at the end of the day I didn't want to give up other options and I knew that most of my drive time would be my short trip to the office or the odd road trip with the family and not the mountain carving I used to do every Sunday on my sportbike.
imack (02-26-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by E634Me
Or being in typical condition for someone above a certain age . . ..
I guess I'm not entirely sure what your counterpoint is. 2/3 of Americans are overweight or obese, lack exercise and live of a fried and fast food diet across all age groups. Number one cause of death is heart disease as a result. Starts at childhood. Child obesity is a major health issue. So, data would suggest that the typical condition for someone at any age is being out of shape.

I get the point about age. When I was younger I was in shape by default as I rode my bike and walked everywhere into my 20s and growing up in the Alps I was an avid skier. Now at age 50 I work out 5+ hours a week doing cardio, weight lifting, playing tennis and riding my bike to stay in shape. What's the average age of an E63S owner? I'm fully aware that in 20 years I'll be 70 and at that point the general NVH of an AMG may have to be in my past and probably need to start driving an S Class or whatever the electrical S Class will be at that point.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Upgrage Comfort Seats to Performance Seats