Sponsored by:

Tips on Purchasing a Pre-Owned E63S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2024, 10:27 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
2019 E63S
Tips on Purchasing a Pre-Owned E63S

Hello everyone! I am looking to join the AMG family here and have my eyes on a 2019 E63S Sedan as my practical daily driving family car. I'm new to the world of Mercedes and Euro's in general and am looking for any advice on what I should watch out for, recommendations, maintenance expectations, etc. Trying to learn as much as I can about the car before pulling the trigger.

Some details about the specific car I am looking at:
30K kms (about 19K miles I think that is?)
1 owner, full dealer maintenance history available, clean carfax.
Has had some minor warranty repairs. I spoke to the service manager where the car was maintained and he said they were common minor things. There was a rear mirror fix, side mirror repair, the A/C in the seats had an issue and got a repair and the spark plugs got changed at 12K kms which seemed odd to me. Other than that, history looked good.
Rubber at 85%, brakes at 50% according to its recent inspection.
Very minimal curb rash on drivers front wheel, other than that, no damage/nicks/scratches apparently.

Some of my concerns are just that I am not local so cannot go look at the car directly and the car has just left warranty which is always a concern. I did look into an extended 4 year warranty that my local dealer can set up for me, its not cheap but its peace of mind. The dealer closest to the car is willing to do a safety inspection and check through the computer systems, though that's a 3 hour labour charge for all that and he said there was nothing in its history that would cause him concern. Kind of made it sound like it would not be a good use of $600.

I welcome any tips as to what I should be looking for or asking the dealer about, or what to expect as a new AMG owner!
Old 04-06-2024, 06:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 668 Likes on 515 Posts
go fast grocery getter wagon
Comprehensive pre purchase inspection for RMS is a must as many members who have 18 & 19 faced this expensive problem.

most of the owners encountered excessive tire wears due to factory camber setup. The car eats tires for breakfast every 20,000km or so. lol.

The ride will be more stiff than the 21 onwards model

extended warranty is really a must for the vehicle. Do find out if the extended warranty has any exclusions of coverage. The most expensive repairs would be tranny, engine and air suspension, so you don’t want some or part of these components are being excluded from warranty claims.

For brakes replacement, if you want oem replacement parts, the rotors are obscenely expensive.

the car is a monster to drive in sports plus and race mode, but it is certainly expensive to maintain over the long runs.

In all, if your budget is larger ... then maybe consider a 21 as it seems like not that many issues have popped up on this forum yet.

Last edited by bobblehead; 04-06-2024 at 08:52 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bobblehead:
MBS E53 (04-23-2024), sixfive (04-08-2024)