Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference in 2017 and 2018 E43

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2024, 12:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,465 Likes on 2,098 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by CityhunterXYZ
I read that to replace RMS, many components need to be removed before the mechanic can access and change. I assume this applies to M276 engine as well. However, will I be assured that this is the end of the problem or there could be other underlying problems that need to check as well?
I would honestly recommend against getting this particular one, given the paint and all those damages, I really don't think the M276 is susceptible to the RMS leak I wonder if it was caused by some sort of impact.

If there was an RMS leak issue for M276, we would had saw it mentioned numerous times on the W212, W204, W205 forum, the M276 is one of the most reliable MB engines and it has been around for a long time in both naturally aspirated and turbo charged form, especially the former.

Edit: The only main issue is the startup rattle (camshaft adjuster) which is pretty much resolved in the later years of M276. Otherwise, the M276 is a tried and true engine. Dare I say it is the most reliable part of the entire car.

Last edited by W205C43PFL; 05-13-2024 at 12:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Keith66 (05-13-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 10:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes E43
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
I would honestly recommend against getting this particular one, given the paint and all those damages, I really don't think the M276 is susceptible to the RMS leak I wonder if it was caused by some sort of impact.

If there was an RMS leak issue for M276, we would had saw it mentioned numerous times on the W212, W204, W205 forum, the M276 is one of the most reliable MB engines and it has been around for a long time in both naturally aspirated and turbo charged form, especially the former.

Edit: The only main issue is the startup rattle (camshaft adjuster) which is pretty much resolved in the later years of M276. Otherwise, the M276 is a tried and true engine. Dare I say it is the most reliable part of the entire car.
I can sense the sentiments here with this RMS leak in an E43. Thanks for that.
With all the problems that eventually causing RMS degrade prematurely, I understand what you mean. Seems the owner didn't take care of the car well, irregular or extended oil change.
The mechanic told me it will take about USD400, incl part and labour to replace the seal. I thought where I stay, tropical country, average 33'C whole year, seals accelerating degrading is normal. I had changed them in my Alfa Busso V6 before as well.
Sigh.... trying to sum up my feeling now
Old 05-14-2024, 08:19 AM
Out Of Control!!

I can sense the sentiments here with this RMS leak in an E43. Thanks for that.
With all the problems that eventually causing RMS degrade prematurely, I understand what you mean. Seems the owner didn't take care of the car well, irregular or extended oil change.
The mechanic told me it will take about USD400, incl part and labour to replace the seal. I thought where I stay, tropical country, average 33'C whole year, seals accelerating degrading is normal. I had changed them in my Alfa Busso V6 before as well.
Sigh.... trying to sum up my feeling now
Hmmm, 400 isn't too bad. I really don't know what to recommend to be honest, remember there is this respraying the previous owner tried to hide and now caught.

What else would they be hiding? Unless this is really the only car in the market, I would think twice before getting it.

Especially if overfilling engine oil could have the potential of engine damage as well, those are hidden damages you can't see until you take it apart.
Old 05-14-2024, 09:40 AM

Mercedes E43
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Hmmm, 400 isn't too bad. I really don't know what to recommend to be honest, remember there is this respraying the previous owner tried to hide and now caught.

What else would they be hiding? Unless this is really the only car in the market, I would think twice before getting it.

Especially if overfilling engine oil could have the potential of engine damage as well, those are hidden damages you can't see until you take it apart.
Appreciate your concern sir. So I dug deeper earlier and this is what I found out.
1. His ownership is about a year and I found the advert posted last year. He actually inherited this paint himself. (Previous owner's fault but still a fault I know)
2. When I did the inspection last week, they checked the engine oil level was normal.
3. There is one other car in the market but was red, sprayed black and I don't fancy chestnut brown seats.

Today, he went to his workshop and they offered a year's extended warranty (for a 6 yrs old car), covering engine, gearbox, transmission, drive shaft etc. Prior to that they have to perform their own inspection before offering their warranty at a premium. They did their checks and found out only the valve cover leaking, no sign of leaks from transmission and rear main seal. Valve cover resilicone will cost me $300.
After all was cleared, they proceed to change engine oil and ATF fluid. Bummer part is... They used 5W30! I believe car can still be driven but I will change in a shorter interval, perhaps after 3K miles with no spirited drive.
Old 05-14-2024, 02:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

Appreciate your concern sir. So I dug deeper earlier and this is what I found out.
1. His ownership is about a year and I found the advert posted last year. He actually inherited this paint himself. (Previous owner's fault but still a fault I know)
2. When I did the inspection last week, they checked the engine oil level was normal.
3. There is one other car in the market but was red, sprayed black and I don't fancy chestnut brown seats.

Today, he went to his workshop and they offered a year's extended warranty (for a 6 yrs old car), covering engine, gearbox, transmission, drive shaft etc. Prior to that they have to perform their own inspection before offering their warranty at a premium. They did their checks and found out only the valve cover leaking, no sign of leaks from transmission and rear main seal. Valve cover resilicone will cost me $300.
After all was cleared, they proceed to change engine oil and ATF fluid. Bummer part is... They used 5W30! I believe car can still be driven but I will change in a shorter interval, perhaps after 3K miles with no spirited drive.
I see, as long as you buy something you like and that enjoy, it is worth it. It is important that you like it and it brings you joy, our opinions are just opinions.
Old 05-15-2024, 11:05 AM

Mercedes E43
Thanks sir. Really appreciate the advice I got in here and it makes me know what I want and getting and understanding more about this car.

Will update soon.
Old 05-16-2024, 06:42 AM
Out Of Control!!

Thanks sir. Really appreciate the advice I got in here and it makes me know what I want and getting and understanding more about this car.

Will update soon.
Sounds good! Good luck : )
Old 05-16-2024, 08:23 AM

Mercedes E43
Hi, Can I check where can I buy online the original "E43" and "BiTurbo 4matic" logo?

Last edited by CityhunterXYZ; 05-16-2024 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-17-2024, 08:18 AM
Out Of Control!!

Hi, Can I check where can I buy online the original "E43" and "BiTurbo 4matic" logo?
Directly from MBUSA: https://mbparts.mbusa.com/
Old 06-03-2024, 11:38 AM

Mercedes E43

Just to share with my new friends here that I finally got my E43, yes it's the 2018 version and about 60K km old. Car is black and shiny

So far what I have done in the last week before I collect my car over the weekend was to change engine oil, transmission fluid, differential oil, steel brake hose, spark plugs, etc. Car is going smooth and enjoying my ride. Thanks for the advice again all.
The following users liked this post:
Keith66 (06-03-2024)
Old 06-03-2024, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 785 Likes on 534 Posts
2018 AMG E43
Congratulations man! I'm happy for you and I think you made a great choice. IMO, you can't go wrong with the classic and classy Mercedes black.

Very thorough service too, nice!

I'm also glad you didn't go for that mango car that was a mess.

Enjoy!!!

Old 06-03-2024, 12:07 PM

Mercedes E43
Originally Posted by Keith66
Congratulations man! I'm happy for you and I think you made a great choice. IMO, you can't go wrong with the classic and classy Mercedes black.

Very thorough service too, nice!

I'm also glad you didn't go for that mango car that was a mess.

Enjoy!!!
Thanks Keith. Yeah the matt grey has some worms in the can and my senses woke up when I revisit this black one. Did the same PPI and only issue was the mild leak from the transmission outlet. Anyway, I got a new pan in there now.
Everything done with original parts and I found out Benz has some queer standards and I haven't had time to find out alternative non MB brands. For example, Dot4.2 brake fluid. I went "duh?!" Haha!
Old 06-03-2024, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 785 Likes on 534 Posts
2018 AMG E43
Thanks Keith. Yeah the matt grey has some worms in the can and my senses woke up when I revisit this black one. Did the same PPI and only issue was the mild leak from the transmission outlet. Anyway, I got a new pan in there now.
Everything done with original parts and I found out Benz has some queer standards and I haven't had time to find out alternative non MB brands. For example, Dot4.2 brake fluid. I went "duh?!" Haha!
Excellent. Yeah, MB is very particular about their fluids but it's totally worth the hassle for the extreme level of engineering that goes into these cars.