Sponsored by:

“the E63 is dead” Ola Kallenius AMG Boss

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2024, 07:46 AM

Received 196 Likes on 151 Posts
2021 AMG E63s Wagon
Originally Posted by superswiss
Nobody disrespected your choice. All we are talking about is the perception of the cars and that RWD coupes are inherently more sporty.
FACTS!

You can't defy the laws of Physics. Glad you graduated from the heavy RS5 to the sportier AMG C63s. As AMG fans we all want the GT63 Black Series that destroys the Lap Times of both the E63s and C63s equally by more than a minute around the Nordschliefe.

My AMG Wagon was the perfect tool for my 1500-mile commute between my NM and GA Residences and carry all my luggage and hunting gear in relative safety on the Interstates and fun state highways. I sold my 2021 AMG Wagon partially because of the annoyance of the buggy software and unsettling ride between DC and NYC on the bumpy I-95 Corridor in my Retirement. in a perfect world maybe would gift the Daughter a W205 C63s or current CLE for our trips to Long Island from her Reston Virginia Condo and Microsoft workplace but at age 64 have to get the Son graduated from GA Tech with his Computer Engineering Major. Until then still have my 2012 Ducati Diavel and 2015 Chevy SS manual Sedan in my Toolbox. Would love to own the Glorious GT3 RS right now out West or in between Atlanta and Athens Georgia with side treks to the Tail of the Dragon. When Son graduates 2026 might pickup a Miata RF 6-stick addition for my Toolbox or the new AMG GT Coupe where I can fold down its rear seat for more Cargo Room. With 2 Mortgages recently replaced the AMG Wagon with the 2024 Maverick AWD that the wife will use for her green thumb passion and yard work in GA. On Thursday after its initial 1000-mile break in Period, changed the oil on its Ecoboost 2-Liter Turbo Engine to Amsoil Full Synthetic...
The following users liked this post:
6G Schnell (06-22-2024)
Old 06-22-2024, 10:13 PM

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
21 E63s wagon
Originally Posted by Drone_S213
FACTS!

You can't defy the laws of Physics. Glad you graduated from the heavy RS5 to the sportier AMG C63s. As AMG fans we all want the GT63 Black Series that destroys the Lap Times of both the E63s and C63s equally by more than a minute around the Nordschliefe.

My AMG Wagon was the perfect tool for my 1500-mile commute between my NM and GA Residences and carry all my luggage and hunting gear in relative safety on the Interstates and fun state highways. I sold my 2021 AMG Wagon partially because of the annoyance of the buggy software and unsettling ride between DC and NYC on the bumpy I-95 Corridor in my Retirement. in a perfect world maybe would gift the Daughter a W205 C63s or current CLE for our trips to Long Island from her Reston Virginia Condo and Microsoft workplace but at age 64 have to get the Son graduated from GA Tech with his Computer Engineering Major. Until then still have my 2012 Ducati Diavel and 2015 Chevy SS manual Sedan in my Toolbox. Would love to own the Glorious GT3 RS right now out West or in between Atlanta and Athens Georgia with side treks to the Tail of the Dragon. When Son graduates 2026 might pickup a Miata RF 6-stick addition for my Toolbox or the new AMG GT Coupe where I can fold down its rear seat for more Cargo Room. With 2 Mortgages recently replaced the AMG Wagon with the 2024 Maverick AWD that the wife will use for her green thumb passion and yard work in GA. On Thursday after its initial 1000-mile break in Period, changed the oil on its Ecoboost 2-Liter Turbo Engine to Amsoil Full Synthetic...
You sold yours too? Did you sell to a dealer or to a private buyer? Did you feel the offer was fair?
Old 06-23-2024, 06:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 573 Likes on 391 Posts
2024 AMG EQE SUV , 2021 E63S Wagon - gone, 2018 E63S Sedan - gone
Originally Posted by ska597
You sold yours too? Did you sell to a dealer or to a private buyer? Did you feel the offer was fair?
I sold my 2021 E63S wagon as well.to my dealer. The offer was fair (based on KBB) and I received significant cash back for the residual equity. Replaced it with a 2024 AMG EQEX4. BTW, it has wireless Android Auto (also wireless Apple car play) which my previous ride did not.

Last edited by HBerman; 06-23-2024 at 07:26 AM.
LMinn (06-23-2024)
Old 06-23-2024, 12:05 PM

2021 AMG E63s Wagon
Wiedersehen

Traded for 2024 Maverick AWD at Dealer. Badge Delete Spec cost me $120K...traded in for $95K three years later with 18K miles. Was about to perform Service B and purchase extended warranty. Don't miss $1922 monthly Payment...in last two months bought a Mossberg 940 JM Pro for Trap Competition in October and a Springfield M1A chambered for 6.5 Creedmoor. Only owe less than $8K on Maverick with $260/month payment. Gotta pay GA Tech Fall Tuition in early August. Glad it's not as bad as Daughter's $72K MIT Tuition...got a pay raise when she graduated in 2021 then purchased AMG Wagon in Atlanta.
Old 06-23-2024, 12:31 PM

21 E63s wagon
Traded for 2024 Maverick AWD at Dealer. Badge Delete Spec cost me $120K...traded in for $95K three years later with 18K miles. Was about to perform Service B and purchase extended warranty. Don't miss $1922 monthly Payment...in last two months bought a Mossberg 940 JM Pro for Trap Competition in October and a Springfield M1A chambered for 6.5 Creedmoor. Only owe less than $8K on Maverick with $260/month payment. Gotta pay GA Tech Fall Tuition in early August. Glad it's not as bad as Daughter's $72K MIT Tuition...got a pay raise when she graduated in 2021 then purchased AMG Wagon in Atlanta.
$95k sounds pretty good for a soon to be four year old
AMG product that people claim depreciates quickly. Someone told me a dealer offered them 82-85k for theirs which was also a 2021. That sounded like a low offer.
Old 06-23-2024, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
E63 wagon to a Maverick? Big difference....but I hope your kids know that you'll be an old man with a lot of expensive hobbies, especially with MIT and GaTech as degrees to take care of you

In terms of the E63 gone, that's pretty sad. It was always the most "beast" of the V8 AMG's in my opinion. The C was always (in my opinion) the fun, young man's car, the E was the grown man's car, and the S was just someone who liked comfort but wanted a huge engine. As MB appears to be continuing to downsize, I predict they will eventually reverse course (again) and come out with V8 again, even if only for certain markets. The reality is that there are still a lot of buyers who want V8's nowadays; look at GM and how they decided to put development money into the next generation V8 for their future platforms. Right now, there's still buyers out there (us) who want these engines. And with good engineering, they can make the V8's pretty fuel efficient and low in CO2 (relatively). I guess we'll have to wait and see...
6G Schnell (06-23-2024)
Old 06-23-2024, 04:09 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,453 Likes on 2,088 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by Viper98912
E63 wagon to a Maverick? Big difference....but I hope your kids know that you'll be an old man with a lot of expensive hobbies, especially with MIT and GaTech as degrees to take care of you

In terms of the E63 gone, that's pretty sad. It was always the most "beast" of the V8 AMG's in my opinion. The C was always (in my opinion) the fun, young man's car, the E was the grown man's car, and the S was just someone who liked comfort but wanted a huge engine. As MB appears to be continuing to downsize, I predict they will eventually reverse course (again) and come out with V8 again, even if only for certain markets. The reality is that there are still a lot of buyers who want V8's nowadays; look at GM and how they decided to put development money into the next generation V8 for their future platforms. Right now, there's still buyers out there (us) who want these engines. And with good engineering, they can make the V8's pretty fuel efficient and low in CO2 (relatively). I guess we'll have to wait and see...
Curious... what about the V12 in the S 65 then

As for GM liking V8s, I wonder if people just like V8 trucks and very very loud ones... American muscle if you will?
Old 06-23-2024, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 238 Likes on 178 Posts
Trek Bike

Well said, thanks!
Resonates with my progression over the years from M3s, to M5s, and finally to the mighty E63!
Old 06-23-2024, 08:39 PM

2021 AMG E63s Wagon
Professional Driver

We needed a Pickup for our Athens area Residence purchased July 2023. In the past rented in Watkinsville since PhD wifey left Academia in New Mexico for her current USDA Career over 10-years ago. You know the grass grows extremely fast in Georgia!

Before the E63s Wagon purchase in 2021 bought a 2019 Buick, 2020 Honda CRV Hybrid, and 2021 Kia for the Wife and Kids. After 2026 when son graduates GT, will look at another Premium Vehicle for myself, hopefully by then MB Quality will return since the Pandemic and war in Ukraine disrupted production and the supply chain. Will probably Lease something European or purchase the Lexus GX550 Overtrail or Miata RF manual. Until then will enjoy my 2015 LS3 V8 in my Chevrolet SS 6-stick and Ducati Diavel with its glorious 1198 V-Twin. I'm an Enthusiast who not only worked in Aerospace for over 30-years as an Engineer with GM Employee Discount benefits but also obtained a CDL for a Mobile RADAR system deployed around the Globe. Used the CDL later to work in the Permian Basin Oilfields after early retirement age 55. Have been exposed to high end European Luxury Cars for the last 40-years since younger Brother has sold and owned Jags, Bentleys, Range Rover, Aston Martin, Mercedes, BMW, and Ferrari in the NY/NJ market as a Salesman and Broker.

​​​​​​
Old 06-24-2024, 05:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 595 Likes on 341 Posts
19 E63s, 23 M3 compX, B9 SQ5
Originally Posted by superswiss
Entirely depends on your perspective. I don't subscribe to the bigger is better mentality. Roomier is not a desirable attribute of a sports car. It's supposed to be low, with a low roofline, short wheel base and wide track. Roomier is the exact opposite of that. Seating position is too high etc. I've driven almost all recent AMGs over the last 5 years, all the way up to the GT BS, so I'm well aware of how they compare. The C coupe is simply more playful and more fun. Yes, the E has drift mode, but you have to turn off all the safety systems to get it, so it's not something for the public road. In the C you can have RWD fun at all times and gradually dial in the level of safety you want thanks to the 9-stage traction control system in the FL. Spinning the wheels is fun and engaging to make most of the available traction. I've had my share of AWD performance cars. They are just not as much fun, because it's too easy to drive them fast. I need to respect a car and I need it to make me work to truly enjoy it. Stomp and go is not my thing. It's also why I mostly drive in manual mode.

Anyway, there's a lot that goes into it. The E lacks the looks for me, too. No wider rear fenders and such. Too me it just looks a bit too bland for the performance. I know some people like understated, but there's something to be said if traditionally understated Audi makes a more badass looking wagon with the RS6 than AMG did with the E63 wagon.

FWIW, during my first AMG Driving Academy event we asked our instructor who has been doing this for decades which AMG he likes the best. His answer was they are all great, but for outright fun the C63 can't be beat. It's just a great useable grand tourer with the proper front engine RWD formula and plenty of room if you don't have a family. Most of the time I'm by myself, why would I wanna compromise with a larger 4-door sedan? Sports cars are not family cars by definition, but we gonna have to agree to disagree on this topic. I simply said the E is not a sports car to me and doesn't make me lust after it.
I have owned both W205 C63s and W213 E63s. The E63s is more fun to drive in drift mode when you want to fool around and have fun compared to a C63s. Not to mention much faster than any C63s outright in any mode. I’m comparing stock vs stock.

If you want a sports car its a GT (s/c/r) that you want, a C63s isn’t any better at being a “sports car” anymore than a E63s is.

Looks are subjective, only the C63s coupe is better looking in my eyes due to the widebody. The sedan versions again E63s looks better to me than a C63s sedan. There is no E63s coupe to compare to the C63s coupe so this is a irrelevant point. GT look better than any C63s coupe.
Old 06-24-2024, 08:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 573 Likes on 391 Posts
2024 AMG EQE SUV , 2021 E63S Wagon - gone, 2018 E63S Sedan - gone
$95k sounds pretty good for a soon to be four year old
AMG product that people claim depreciates quickly. Someone told me a dealer offered them 82-85k for theirs which was also a 2021. That sounded like a low offer.
There is a significant value difference between the sedan and the wagon. The dealer resold my wagon in 3 days at $117K. He and I were both happy with the transaction. It wasn't wrong to exit the E63S for the AMG EQEX4. My annual mileage is around 10,000, and the wagon would have been expensive for maintenance and potential warranty repairs. Netting $23,500 equity was a nice bonus from the deal. Of course, my fuel costs have been cut by 70% as well.
Old 06-24-2024, 10:55 AM

21 E63s wagon
Originally Posted by HBerman
There is a significant value difference between the sedan and the wagon. The dealer resold my wagon in 3 days at $117K. He and I were both happy with the transaction. It wasn't wrong to exit the E63S for the AMG EQEX4. My annual mileage is around 10,000, and the wagon would have been expensive for maintenance and potential warranty repairs. Netting $23,500 equity was a nice bonus from the deal. Of course, my fuel costs have been cut by 70% as well.
$117k for a three year (plus) car is great sale for the dealer. I’m not quite at the point of selling mine, but if I were to be offered nearly $100k for my 2021, which while not as loaded as yours (I didn’t have CCBs), that’s tempting especially in light of the whole RMS issue. The problem for me is the lack of alternative options. Yeah I could move on from this, but to what? I’m not an EV person, although I don’t mind it for my wife, but there really is a dearth of options out there that are even close to what this car provides. CT5 V Blackwing? Maybe a Corvette Z06? A Porsche Panny? The new M5 doesn’t do it for me nor the RS6 which is a worse car than the Big E.

Last edited by ska597; 06-24-2024 at 11:04 AM.
Old 06-24-2024, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Curious... what about the V12 in the S 65 then
We just like to drive down the road giving everyone the middle finger. Like Mr. Bean driving through LA

We needed a Pickup for our Athens area Residence purchased July 2023. In the past rented in Watkinsville since PhD wifey left Academia in New Mexico for her current USDA Career over 10-years ago. You know the grass grows extremely fast in Georgia!

Before the E63s Wagon purchase in 2021 bought a 2019 Buick, 2020 Honda CRV Hybrid, and 2021 Kia for the Wife and Kids. After 2026 when son graduates GT, will look at another Premium Vehicle for myself, hopefully by then MB Quality will return since the Pandemic and war in Ukraine disrupted production and the supply chain. Will probably Lease something European or purchase the Lexus GX550 Overtrail or Miata RF manual. Until then will enjoy my 2015 LS3 V8 in my Chevrolet SS 6-stick and Ducati Diavel with its glorious 1198 V-Twin. I'm an Enthusiast who not only worked in Aerospace for over 30-years as an Engineer with GM Employee Discount benefits but also obtained a CDL for a Mobile RADAR system deployed around the Globe. Used the CDL later to work in the Permian Basin Oilfields after early retirement age 55. Have been exposed to high end European Luxury Cars for the last 40-years since younger Brother has sold and owned Jags, Bentleys, Range Rover, Aston Martin, Mercedes, BMW, and Ferrari in the NY/NJ market as a Salesman and Broker.

​​​​​​
Lots of cool stuff there. I myself am waiting for the Rampage to hit the US market (I'm guessing somewhere around 2026) as we will also need a small Home Depot hauler and just overall "easy" vehicle.

Originally Posted by 6G Schnell
Well said, thanks!
Resonates with my progression over the years from M3s, to M5s, and finally to the mighty E63!
Same here, it's pretty common. I started off with a C55, never got that M113K I wanted, but made up for it with a V12TT. I may pickup a 213 wagon one of these days, as they are just so cool. A buddy of mine (a few years older than me) did the same as you; an old school M3, and later moved up to a 550i, which was practically close to an M5 at the time (not exactly, but still more grown-up-ish).
6G Schnell (06-24-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 12:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

Ah yes Mr. Bean, good days : )
Old 06-24-2024, 02:05 PM

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts
2006 E55 Wagon (RIP), 2019 E63S Wagon (Sold) 2023 AMG GT634S
The change for me to a GT 63S coupe has been a good one. Granted it was much better equipped than my 2019 E63 wagon - but it also rides better, has the sport seats and got me a new / fully warrantied last (-ish) of the V8's. I do not want the added weight of the hybrid performance version of the GT coupe. Since that platform is the same as the E63 wagon, it was an easy change. There are still some leftover 2023s that are the last of the engine only version of the GT63S out there - and there are deals to be had so much so that getting a new GT 63S coupe was in line with the Final Edition pricing.... I DO miss the practicality of the wagon however, and the visibility. I also feel "different" driving this car. I had AMG wagons for so long, I didn't think twice about going to Costco, etc with it- this feels different. There's certainly no hiding with the Green Hell Magno. But it's a really great performing car.
I.T. Guy (06-26-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 04:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Uber Wagon
The change for me to a GT 63S coupe has been a good one. Granted it was much better equipped than my 2019 E63 wagon - but it also rides better, has the sport seats and got me a new / fully warrantied last (-ish) of the V8's. I do not want the added weight of the hybrid performance version of the GT coupe. Since that platform is the same as the E63 wagon, it was an easy change. There are still some leftover 2023s that are the last of the engine only version of the GT63S out there - and there are deals to be had so much so that getting a new GT 63S coupe was in line with the Final Edition pricing.... I DO miss the practicality of the wagon however, and the visibility. I also feel "different" driving this car. I had AMG wagons for so long, I didn't think twice about going to Costco, etc with it- this feels different. There's certainly no hiding with the Green Hell Magno. But it's a really great performing car.
Hmmm, in regards to the ride better I wonder if because the GT 63 S shares the same suspension improvements as the facelift E 63. So in that case, the facelift E 63 would had rode the same as the GT 63 S.
Old 06-25-2024, 11:06 AM

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts
2006 E55 Wagon (RIP), 2019 E63S Wagon (Sold) 2023 AMG GT634S
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Hmmm, in regards to the ride better I wonder if because the GT 63 S shares the same suspension improvements as the facelift E 63. So in that case, the facelift E 63 would had rode the same as the GT 63 S.
Quite possible the facelift E63 would have worked - but with the lack of attractive options for a 2023 (color, no CCBs in the US to any real extent, no sport seats, and the FE cost) it became a much less attractive option even though I would have preferred to stay in an E wagon.
Old 06-25-2024, 01:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Uber Wagon
Quite possible the facelift E63 would have worked - but with the lack of attractive options for a 2023 (color, no CCBs in the US to any real extent, no sport seats, and the FE cost) it became a much less attractive option even though I would have preferred to stay in an E wagon.
Fair fair, plus the GT 63 S centre console just looks better.
Old 06-26-2024, 09:55 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon
I suspect many of us will migrate to the RS6 or M5 touring when it’s time for replacement…
The following 2 users liked this post by maxswede:
sixfive (06-28-2024), Uber Wagon (06-27-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 05:45 AM

2021 AMG E63s Wagon
Last TTV8?

Originally Posted by maxswede
I suspect many of us will migrate to the RS6 or M5 touring when it’s time for replacement…
I might consider a leftover or CPO 2025 M850i Gran Coupe and keep the rear seats folded down for more cargo space when I'm ready for next premium purchase/lease in 2026. Ex roommate in DC is having no issues with his 2023 M850i Convertible. It might be an older platform but it works and might suit 1500-mile two day Treks between NM and GA Residences plus quick blasts up I-81 to Reston, Virginia. Otherwise will slow down and buy a 2026 Lexus GX550 Overtrail for its off-road chops.
Old 07-15-2024, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 660 Likes on 518 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
I thought this would be a good thread to ask this question. For anyone that went from a 2018 to 2020 e63amg wagon to a 2021 to 2023 e63amg wagon was the ride quality noticeably better? I had a 2018 and the ride quality was horrible on bumpy New England roads. So much so that I sold the car after a year. Been driving a 2019 e450 since but miss the performance of the amg and am thinking of purchasing a used 2021 to 2023 amg wagon. Will the ride quality be that much better than the 2018 to 2020s.? Anyone go from one car to another. I know starting 2021 mb retuned the suspension in comfort mode. With my 2018 I could hardly tell the difference between comfort and sport suspension modes. The car was just super harsh.
Old 07-15-2024, 09:26 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon
Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
I thought this would be a good thread to ask this question. For anyone that went from a 2018 to 2020 e63amg wagon to a 2021 to 2023 e63amg wagon was the ride quality noticeably better? I had a 2018 and the ride quality was horrible on bumpy New England roads. So much so that I sold the car after a year. Been driving a 2019 e450 since but miss the performance of the amg and am thinking of purchasing a used 2021 to 2023 amg wagon. Will the ride quality be that much better than the 2018 to 2020s.? Anyone go from one car to another. I know starting 2021 mb retuned the suspension in comfort mode. With my 2018 I could hardly tell the difference between comfort and sport suspension modes. The car was just super harsh.
I’ve heard it’s an improvement for sure. Additionally people underestimate the impact of tires.

i think the PS4S is an inappropriate tire for that car, wrecks nvh and refinement, for grip levels few need in such a GT car.

I have a 18 wagon and swapped on Continental DWS06+ and use them year round. Improved ride majorly and now I’m happy with a 18.

a facelift on DWS I bet would do great. It’s No S-class and a bit stiff in-town for sure, but once moving I think it’s a well judged compromise and there are so many other benefits.
Old 07-15-2024, 10:05 AM

Received 177 Likes on 130 Posts
W212 E63S Wagon - GSL580 - E63 - E350 - C300
Originally Posted by maxswede
I’ve heard it’s an improvement for sure. Additionally people underestimate the impact of tires.

Yep. Exactly. Just this AM I am dealing with a tire shop and Continental. I have been running Extreme Contact 02 for long while. Needed a new (front) pair. The rears are 6wk old 02. Well, they quite making them and I put on the new DWS 06 (last Friday). I am this AM scouring the internet to find 02's as I can see in under 50mi on the 06 that it is just not the tire for me, nor how I drive......MASSIVE change to the car, a change I do not like.
Old 07-15-2024, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 660 Likes on 518 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
I regret on my Red 2018 not experimenting around more with tires before throwing in the towel. But the car seemed like it must have been built on a Friday. It had real fit and finish issues and for whatever reason the stereo sounded like a transistor radio. The dealer was of no help they just told me it was all normal. But if the newer ones ride better I’m game for giving it another try maybe with the dws o6 plus tires this time around. I thought about a new all terrain but that car is just not me. A decent e63 amg how I want it is gonna more than a brand new loaded all terrain at this point though plus more than likely no warranty so it’s a risk.
Old 07-15-2024, 05:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
I regret on my Red 2018 not experimenting around more with tires before throwing in the towel. But the car seemed like it must have been built on a Friday. It had real fit and finish issues and for whatever reason the stereo sounded like a transistor radio. The dealer was of no help they just told me it was all normal. But if the newer ones ride better I’m game for giving it another try maybe with the dws o6 plus tires this time around. I thought about a new all terrain but that car is just not me. A decent e63 amg how I want it is gonna more than a brand new loaded all terrain at this point though plus more than likely no warranty so it’s a risk.
Yes the ride is better in the facelift E 63 S it is just the exhaust is quieter but not by much in countries without OPF. The actual springs if I recalled correctly someone comparing the part numbers is not different but the software improvement was there. The fit and finish should too be better given it is further down the model year generation so improvements should had been made.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: “the E63 is dead” Ola Kallenius AMG Boss