'19 e63s - 4k+ Flat Spot

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2024, 01:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 e63s
'19 e63s - 4k+ Flat Spot

Hey all,

I picked up a certified '19 E63s wagon a few months ago. I noticed the car does not get to full boost on the gauge in the instrument cluster and it gets stuck at about 300-350hp. From my research this seems like a classic case of the exhaust flaps and/or actuators getting stuck or failing.

Since this is a CPO car, I took it to the dealer to diagnose. I provided them with two videos (links below) showing runs to redline where the car does not make the boost/power/tq it should. The car isn't throwing a CEL and I didn't see any active or stored codes when I scanned it. The dealer is claiming the car is fine and the car is making full boost despite what the gauge shows.

I specifically followed-up to ask whether they (i) confirmed through Xentry that the exhaust flaps and actuator motors are working correctly and (ii) have ruled out broken/melted catalytic converter. I am waiting to hear back but i am not optimistic.

I have a favor - can someone with a W213 e63s, preferably stock, post a photo and/or video showing normal behavior of the power/boost gauge?

Here are link to my own videos:

- Video 1 of 2
- Video 2 of 2

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-24-2024, 01:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon
Originally Posted by s2000sel
Hey all,

I picked up a certified '19 E63s wagon a few months ago. I noticed the car does not get to full boost on the gauge in the instrument cluster and it gets stuck at about 300-350hp. From my research this seems like a classic case of the exhaust flaps and/or actuators getting stuck or failing.

Since this is a CPO car, I took it to the dealer to diagnose. I provided them with two videos (links below) showing runs to redline where the car does not make the boost/power/tq it should. The car isn't throwing a CEL and I didn't see any active or stored codes when I scanned it. The dealer is claiming the car is fine and the car is making full boost despite what the gauge shows.

I specifically followed-up to ask whether they (i) confirmed through Xentry that the exhaust flaps and actuator motors are working correctly and (ii) have ruled out broken/melted catalytic converter. I am waiting to hear back but i am not optimistic.

I have a favor - can someone with a W213 e63s, preferably stock, post a photo and/or video showing normal behavior of the power/boost gauge?

Here are link to my own videos:

- Video 1 of 2
- Video 2 of 2

Thanks in advance!
go to a different dealer if you can. should be super easy to diagnose.
Old 06-24-2024, 01:40 PM

2019 e63s
Originally Posted by maxswede
go to a different dealer if you can. should be super easy to diagnose.
I will probably end up doing that, but they might try to charge me a $300 diagnostic fee despite not finding the problem.

What peak hp/tq numbers do you see on your gauge?
Old 06-24-2024, 01:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon
eyes on the road when it peaks, but I see 603hp 627lbft

fwiw I had my exhaust flapper fixed last week for this issue, but I had codes for no voltage to the flapper. I would get full torque up until 2500 rpm, then it would pull boost and hold power at ~350hp.

good luck!
Old 06-24-2024, 01:53 PM

2019 e63s
Originally Posted by maxswede
eyes on the road when it peaks, but I see 603hp 627lbft

fwiw I had my exhaust flapper fixed last week for this issue, but I had codes for no voltage to the flapper. I would get full torque up until 2500 rpm, then it would pull boost and hold power at ~350hp.

good luck!
thanks - any chance you can send me a pic of the gauge? stay safe...

Last edited by s2000sel; 06-24-2024 at 01:54 PM. Reason: didnt read properly
Old 06-24-2024, 04:05 PM

2019 e63s
So here's the update from the dealer. This is puzzling because they are saying the flap is stuck open? I obviously don't agree that the boost/hp figures are correct, but let's see what happens after they replace the part:

Road tested with xentry computer hooked up monitoring values. No signs of obstruction in cat pipes from values. Values on that topic would trip codes and check engine light when out of spec due to emission standards being monitored. Boost and horsepower values are normal for customer display screens. The topic of exhaust flaps is correct and don't always put a check engine light on. Function tested both flaps. Actuation of Left flap is ok. The Right Flap is stuck in open position on actuator. This part is covered on CPO. We will replace that part. This will bring back control on making right side exhaust quieter if customer wants it to be. In current state of Right side flap stuck open which is not affecting horsepower.

Last edited by s2000sel; 06-24-2024 at 04:05 PM. Reason: formatting
Old 07-12-2024, 06:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 E63S Wagon
I’m now having this exact same issue so with a recently acquired CPO wagon. Did the actuator fix restore you to full power?

I’ll be scheduling an appointment with the dealer as soon as possible. This might speed up my purchase of the Renntech valve module.

So here's the update from the dealer. This is puzzling because they are saying the flap is stuck open? I obviously don't agree that the boost/hp figures are correct, but let's see what happens after they replace the part:

Road tested with xentry computer hooked up monitoring values. No signs of obstruction in cat pipes from values. Values on that topic would trip codes and check engine light when out of spec due to emission standards being monitored. Boost and horsepower values are normal for customer display screens. The topic of exhaust flaps is correct and don't always put a check engine light on. Function tested both flaps. Actuation of Left flap is ok. The Right Flap is stuck in open position on actuator. This part is covered on CPO. We will replace that part. This will bring back control on making right side exhaust quieter if customer wants it to be. In current state of Right side flap stuck open which is not affecting horsepower.

Trending Topics

Old 07-15-2024, 04:46 PM

2019 e63s
Originally Posted by crabcakezz
I’m now having this exact same issue so with a recently acquired CPO wagon. Did the actuator fix restore you to full power?

I’ll be scheduling an appointment with the dealer as soon as possible. This might speed up my purchase of the Renntech valve module.
Yes, the new actuator restored me to full power. I have the wagon at a nearby Renntech dealer getting the exhaust valve module installed. I'll let you know what I think after it's installed.

The following users liked this post:
Cylinder Head (07-15-2024)
Old 07-17-2024, 08:31 PM

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts
2006 E55 Wagon (RIP), 2019 E63S Wagon (Sold) 2023 AMG GT634S
Either of you guys gets your wagon from MB Asheville?
Old 07-18-2024, 10:32 AM

2019 e63s
Originally Posted by Uber Wagon
I got from a dealer in Ohio and apparently the car was owned by a local businessman who used to be a drag racer!

https://www.nhra.com/news/2016/fast-eddie-schartman
Uber Wagon (07-21-2024)
Old 07-18-2024, 09:37 PM

2019 E63S Wagon
Originally Posted by Uber Wagon

Nope mine was from MB of Scarborough, Maine

Last edited by crabcakezz; 07-18-2024 at 09:41 PM.
Uber Wagon (07-21-2024)
Old 07-18-2024, 09:41 PM

2019 E63S Wagon
Yes, the new actuator restored me to full power. I have the wagon at a nearby Renntech dealer getting the exhaust valve module installed. I'll let you know what I think after it's installed.

I’ve been intermittently getting full power back and losing it again. It’s driving me nuts!! Any tips for getting the dealer to replace these under warranty? I’ve heard conflicting accounts of whether or not CPO holds for getting this addressed.

I’ve also heard that the Renntech module could cause issues since the valves apparently self test every now and then? Either way I need all my juice back, can’t wait to get this thing to the dealer next week.
Old 07-30-2024, 04:57 PM

2019 E63S Wagon
Update:

Dropped the car off at the shop last week. It’s been there for a whole week waiting for a master technician to take a look and diagnose. They confirmed they were able to duplicate the power cut after 4K. I asked them if there were any Xentry codes for flap / actuator issues and they insist there were none.

Gonna call and check in tomorrow because this feels like a long time to diagnose what seems to be a fairly common issue with these cars.
Old 08-17-2024, 07:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,083 Likes on 1,454 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by crabcakezz
Update:

Dropped the car off at the shop last week. It’s been there for a whole week waiting for a master technician to take a look and diagnose. They confirmed they were able to duplicate the power cut after 4K. I asked them if there were any Xentry codes for flap / actuator issues and they insist there were none.

Gonna call and check in tomorrow because this feels like a long time to diagnose what seems to be a fairly common issue with these cars.
Any updates?