Watches Forum to discuss, research and buy/sell watches and timepieces.

Another wasted forum..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 02:50 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55
Another wasted forum..

I thought this forum was for discussion of watches, not a classifieds.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Good point looking at responses and hit on threads here. Oh well....
Old 03-29-2009, 07:27 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
Yeah I was thinking the same thing ... It's really annoying especially because I see the same annoying seller on watchnet.com
Old 03-29-2009, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 SV650S, 11 Santa Fe
Originally Posted by ChicagoX
I thought this forum was for discussion of watches, not a classifieds.
You were mistaken. If you followed the discussions closely it came up at the beginning of this forum creation and was admitted to by the admins that this sub-forum was created for the sole purpose of selling ad space to a new sponsor.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:09 PM

So is this new sponsor a part owner of this website now?
Old 03-30-2009, 04:13 PM
Banned

Bantha
Originally Posted by rodbuster
So is this new sponsor a part owner of this website now?
I doubt it, I don't even think the guy has made a sale since he's been advertising on here. He's not authorized and his prices aren't spectacular. That being said, he does provide some nice close up shots for research purposes.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:13 PM
Banned

A few toys
Here is one that has taken the time to leave feedback for your reference.

https://mbworld.org/forums/watches/2...pam-288-k.html

If you have a serious interest in anything I recommend placing a call to discuss pricing. Thank you for the comment on the photos. We try to be as descriptive as possible.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:51 PM

I think his prices are pretty darn good, but the real selling point, is his service. I am, in no way, affiliated with him except that I have bought two watches from him. Both excellent prices, and both delivered overnight.

I know that there are probably others out there who could sell for less, but I am willing to pay for a certain level of service.

If you don't like the way that a forum is organized, why not leave? I really don't understand the purpose of these threads that are basically whine sessions. Again, I don't know Gil other than the two watches I have bought from him, but his reputation is VERY GOOD, as is his service. If you don't like this sub-forum, don't visit. That simple...Too much *****ing in the world.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:49 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Originally Posted by jasonrhcastle
.....If you don't like the way that a forum is organized, why not leave? I really don't understand the purpose of these threads that are basically whine sessions. Again, I don't know Gil other than the two watches I have bought from him, but his reputation is VERY GOOD, as is his service. If you don't like this sub-forum, don't visit. That simple...Too much *****ing in the world.
1) I was here first.

2) I can hang out/post anywhere I darn well please.

3) You and Gil can be lovers for all I care, it doesn't add to the forum. Neither does YOUR whining, BTW.

This site is alleged to be a DISCUSSION forum. Discussion implies two or more parties involved in the exchange of ideas, not a quick flash of what's under the trenchcoat.

How many non-sales threads have you started in this forum? None.

What has been your contribution to this site? None.

What I may gingerly propose is that one contribute to the same forum that one is receiving benefit from. This is not a pecuniary matter; rather one of community.

For example, a brief history of the brand of watch being sold would be informative content, making the commercial portion much more palatable. An article here-or-there would drive traffic to the subforum, rather than away.

Your rather inarticulate rant notwithstanding, there is a place for threads such as these...although you may not be aware of that, given your nascent status here.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:20 PM

You make some very good points, ChicagoX. If more info was given on these watches, this forum would be more useful. Not everyone is knowledgable about the differant makes or models being offered for sale here. Perhaps jasonrhcastle and his buddy Gil could contribute more here in that regard.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:09 PM

Wow, what an educated and well written response.

Really, your going with "I was here first" as an excuse for your whining? Honestly, that was the best retort you could muster? Are we back in 1st grade?

"How many non-sales threads have you started in this forum? None." Well, you got me here. As I thought that the watch sub-forum would be the place to post the watches I was trying to get rid of...What was I thinking. Your big words, and attempt to sound smart has proven the error or my ways. I should have posted that thread in the Mercedes Cars for sale sub-forum instead. (In case you missed it, that was sarcasm.)

"What has been your contribution to this site? None." Well, I am sure that someone asked the same of you when you were new to the site, and started expounding all of your significant and vast knowledge (watch out, more sarcasm). Since when does the post count you have equal your worth? Yeah, I am still aware this is a discussion forum (thanks for letting me know that ChicagoX, as apparently I thought I was somewhere else), and that sometimes people are only known on said forums by the quality of the information that they have posted. However, my counter to that line of thinking is that all of us started some place. I, for one, just moved over to this site relatively full time after leaving the BMW brand (where I had called home for about 6-7 years). So, please, I beg forgiveness for speaking my mind without the expression written permission of so-called "I was here first" members...Watch out, sarcasm is rampant.

Like I said, I am not buddy buddy with anybody here. I was simply replying to a comment posted that no one had done business with Stryke, and that his prices weren't all that great. It was a non-biased reply. I have NO stake in his being successful or not. I am, however, sick and tired of the whiners on these forums (this and many others I have visited in the past). There are many more pressing matters in this world to gripe about other than how a forum is organized. If you owned that forum, maybe I could understand. But, to my knowledge, you don't. I just find it humerous, and also sad, that the way a discussion forum (as ChicagoX pointed out) is organized can be such a topic on contention amongst members. There was another thread started when this sub-forum first was created where everyone was griping and complaining as well. As I recall, it resulted in some people being banned (a policy that I am totally against, as I think everyone should be allowed to speak their mind). No sarcasm there...

Fellas, it ain't that hard. You don't like what's being posted in a forum, you don't visit that forum.

I like watches. There is a pretty nice thread in here with various people showing off their collections, however, the main purpose of this SUB-forum was for a sponsor to show off his pieces for sale. A lot of discussion was going on in that thread for a while, however, it died down. I have posted little replies to threads here. I admit, I am not as active as others. I have been basically trying to get a feel for the website. What is abundantly clear here, is that differing opinions don't seem to be welcome. Sorry to be a pain here, but I ain't going anywhere.

In closing, and this will probably be my last reply to this particular thread, I probably came across as being overly critical of the thread starter. My point, while to comment on the general type of thread this was, was not to get personal in the nature of said reply. I will, for that, apologize if I came across that way.

JRHC, MD

Last edited by jasonrhcastle; 03-31-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 BMW X3M Comp
Originally Posted by ChicagoX
1) I was here first.

2) I can hang out/post anywhere I darn well please.

3) You and Gil can be lovers for all I care, it doesn't add to the forum. Neither does YOUR whining, BTW.

This site is alleged to be a DISCUSSION forum. Discussion implies two or more parties involved in the exchange of ideas, not a quick flash of what's under the trenchcoat.

How many non-sales threads have you started in this forum? None.

What has been your contribution to this site? None.

What I may gingerly propose is that one contribute to the same forum that one is receiving benefit from. This is not a pecuniary matter; rather one of community.

For example, a brief history of the brand of watch being sold would be informative content, making the commercial portion much more palatable. An article here-or-there would drive traffic to the subforum, rather than away.

Your rather inarticulate rant notwithstanding, there is a place for threads such as these...although you may not be aware of that, given your nascent status here.

Just as you can post anywhere you want, so can every other member. Its ironic that you suggest other the respondent was whining considering the first post in this thread pretty much wraps that up nicely.

This is a forum- If you don't like a thread, don't read it. Instead, you rip on the sponsor, the forum and a customer...All because you've been member since 2006? Yippie for you! Who gives a rats *** how long you've been here and how much you think you've contributed... its completely subjective.

Bottom line is that a sponsor has paid to create this forum and as such, he's allowed to sell stuff. While the majority of threads here are for watches he sells, he hasn't prevented anyone from starting a thread to discuss watches either.

Give the guy a break. He's a reputable dealer that sells highly sought after watches.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Santa Cruz Blur
Originally Posted by NY C32
This is a forum- If you don't like a thread, don't read it. Instead, you rip on the sponsor, the forum and a customer...All because you've been member since 2006? Yippie for you! Who gives a rats *** how long you've been here and how much you think you've contributed... its completely subjective.

shh, I have been here longer than you. I guess my only complaint would be, why not just add in a Watches sub-forum under classifieds if that is the real intent of the site.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:37 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
"What has been your contribution to this site? None." Well, I am sure that someone asked the same of you when you were new to the site, and started expounding all of your significant and vast knowledge (watch out, more sarcasm). Since when does the post count you have equal your worth? Yeah, I am still aware this is a discussion forum (thanks for letting me know that ChicagoX, as apparently I thought I was somewhere else)....
You told me to leave, and I told you why I won't.

If this is a classifieds, call it a classifieds.

You are typical of those who only take in life without giving back. Why not take a stroll over to the E55 section, check out a few of the stickies, then comment on my contribution here.

This is a new section - should we withhold feedback? If anyone prevented me from starting a discussion thread on a discussion forum, this would no longer be a discussion forum, would it?

Call it what it is, and get off my nuts. I don't read every thread, but I lobbied for a Lifestyle forum here. This pseudo-classifieds is not what we asked for, and I'm expressing my opinion.

If you don't like it, don't reply to my reply....it works both ways, children.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:25 PM

I never told you to leave. What I said, and I qoute, was "If you don't like the way that a forum is organized, why not leave?" Where in that reply did I say, hey ChicagoX, leave the forum?

I am not "on your nuts" either. I just think that the reply that you gave to my original post was childish. Plain and simple.

I "am typical of those who only take in life without giving back"? Really, you can infer something that insightful and deep about a person's personality by two internet forum posts? Wow, I guess "being here first" really does make a difference. If you knew anything about me, or what I do for a living, you would realize why I think that is hilarious.

If, by saying I am "typical of those who only take in life without giving back" in how it relates to an internet forum, I guess I am guilty??? I mean, I admitted I was a newbie above. Hadn't really been here long enough to have any long lasting effect. Not really worried about being the big guy in the internet forum, or making newer people realize that "I was here first".

I must have missed the thread here where you were asking for feedback. Because, in my understanding of English grammar and basic sentence structure (I can send you a book if it would help, it even has pictures) your first post sounded (and looked) more like a statement than a question. Additionally, nowhere in that original post did you ask, or imply, that feedback was what you were looking for. As a result, it appeared to me that there had been another thread complaining about the structure of the lifestyle forums.

I even gave feedback about my experiences with the seller, for whom this sub-forum was created. Your reply, and again I have to give you kudos for the witty quality of the reply, was "You and Gil can be lovers for all I care, it doesn't add to the forum." Again, humorous, because I stated in the beginning of that reply that I had NO affiliation with the seller other than my interactions with him.

But again, you were "here first" so your opinion obviously outweighs mine.

Last edited by jasonrhcastle; 04-02-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:18 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
...But again, you were "here first" so your opinion obviously outweighs mine.
Finally, one who understands his lot in life.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:32 PM

So jasonrhcastle, are you going to give out any info on the watches that you have for sale? What is it about the PAM288 for $5600 that makes it so much more expensive than the Omega for $1650? Does it keep much better time or...? Not trying to be too OT here, but I was curious.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 BMW X3M Comp
Originally Posted by rodbuster
So jasonrhcastle, are you going to give out any info on the watches that you have for sale? What is it about the PAM288 for $5600 that makes it so much more expensive than the Omega for $1650? Does it keep much better time or...? Not trying to be too OT here, but I was curious.
The PAM 288 lists for $7800 so $5600 is a pretty good deal. Panerai are available in limited numbers; producing only 43,000 COSC watches per year compared to Omega, who produces over 340,000 - Only Rolex produces more...substantially more. One isn't noticeably more accurate than the other. If you want accuracy, you can buy a Casio atomic watch for $30.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:31 AM
Banned

A few toys
Quick correction, the 288 lists for $8,300.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 BEAST
I agree with the OP here, but I just have to say that I love Panerais.

I was going to get one a few years back and I decided not to, I;m kind of happy though because everyone in L.A has one now.

That said, I'd still love to get my hands on a left handed Panerai or a vintage Panerai. And by Vintage I mean I want one that was pried off the hands of an Italian on a sunken submarine.