Watches Forum to discuss, research and buy/sell watches and timepieces.

Anyone want an IWC AMG CLS-55 Watch to go with their car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volkswagen Passat
Anyone want an IWC AMG CLS-55 Watch to go with their car?

I have an IWC Limited Edition Ingenieur AMG - CLS55 in Titanium that
I am looking to sell. This watch is in mint condition and is one of
only 55 made. As you can see it has a white face as opposed to the typical
black face on the AMGs. The watch has both the integrated strap with the IWC
tang buckle, the matching bracelet, the bracelet tools, all boxes/papers and
the IWC polishing cloth.

Email me at jrbar_on@yahoo.com and here are some photos:

Old 06-22-2009, 04:33 PM

CLS55 AMG 030
How Much ?
Old 06-22-2009, 04:37 PM

2006 CLS55 AMG
x2, beautiful watch.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:27 PM

cls 55 amg
watch

Whats the price?
Old 06-22-2009, 07:30 PM

I'd also like to know how much?
Old 06-22-2009, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 AMG & RRS S/C
me too please
Old 06-22-2009, 11:02 PM

Volkswagen Passat
Price for the watch is ...

$4750.00 which includes overnight shipping in CONUS. I also posted this in the classified and put the price there. I wasn't sure what the rules were in this forum and didn't want to offend anyone. Also, I'm in Los Angeles and anyone is welcome for local inspection before purchase.

Jonathan.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by JustPete
I never questioned that fact my friend.

Someone sold one to my watch seller who buys and sells these and 100 other brands. NIB, Never worn. Sticker still on the case back. Just like most of the watches he sells. Was probably thrown in at the car dealership to make the deal.
I very seriously doubt that:
http://www.gizmag.com/go/3914/

If you collect watches, then you ought to know that certain limited-edition pieces can, and do, command pretty damn good prices after their release (ever hear of a Comex Submariner? there were a few hundred of those released, check their resale sometime...or how about a Newman Daytona? how many of those were made, Pete?), and that an IWC with only 55 pieces produced has a pretty good chance of being collectible at some point...which would tend to give it a tad bit higher resale than your average Ingenieur. As would an in-house movement, which a seasoned watch collector should also know.

And if Wingate's has this NON-AMG titanium Ingenieur priced at $4250, with only one band, and Essential Watches has several AMG Ingenieurs which are NOT limited to 55 pieces in the $4500 range, then I don't think the OP's asking price is out of whack, quite the contrary in fact assuming of course that the piece is genuine.

Last edited by Improviz; 06-24-2009 at 12:50 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:43 AM

CLS55 AMG 030
Well ... I'm not going to get into a pissing match here. Value is in the eye of the beholder.

Wingates has always been high. Call any of them up and offer $500 less and see what happens. (Never dealt with Essential but keep in mind, they're trying to move NIB watches ... they buy these hard to move watches for fractions of the asking price btw.)

Like I said that "CLS55" version is unique in one way. It has CLS55 on the dial. The straps can be had for a couple bones.

As for Newman Daytona's or Comex SeaDwellers ... do you really compare those to a CLS55 watch?

Ever see how well some of the other "car watches" hold their values? There's very few exceptions where they are coveted. The CLS55 version will be no different.

Let me ask you a simple question ... who wants a CLS55 Watch? Who's the buyer of these? I can tell you who isn't. The market for that watch is a tiny percentage of the CLS55 car's made ... that's
simple sad but true fact.

Now, had IWC screwed up and made 2-3 by accident that got out .... NOW you have a bigtime collectible piece.

I dunno. Maybe I've become jaded. I buy wholesale most of the time so ...

Anyway, good Luck Jrbar-on.

If I was out of line, my apologies. I try to tell it like it is and I guess sometimes that comes off abrasive.

Looks like Improviz thinks it's a good deal.

Last edited by JustPete; 06-24-2009 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:02 AM

Volkswagen Passat
Pete,

You are wrong when you say that "that "CLS55" version is unique in one way. It has CLS55 on the dial." It is unique because this version of the watch is the only AMG Ingenieur which has a white face. The "CLS-55" writing on it is nothing special as you point out.

Jonathan.

Last edited by jrbar-on; 06-24-2009 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:12 AM

CLS55 AMG 030
I'll acquiesce ... good luck selling that watch.

When you lower the price you'll find out I was right.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by jrbar-on
Pete,

You are wrong when you say that "that "CLS55" version is unique in one way. It has CLS55 on the dial." It is unique because this version of the watch is the only AMG Ingenieur which has a white face. The "CLS-55" writing on it is nothing special as you point out.

Jonathan.
Also, the caseback is unique to the watch, along with the red hour markers, etc.

People should study the history of IWC limited editions of less than 100 pieces and decide for themselves as to the worthiness of this watch. There are plenty of examples to be found; here is an article which was written by three avid collectors of rare IWC watches:
http://www.goerter.de/IWCFORUM/MARK%...SE_English.pdf

Small differnces in appearance and limited edition watches can definitely affect future value. Again, readers are invited to do their own homework; here is a page discussing Rolex red dial submariners and Comex subs/seadwellers. As can be seen, differences are slight other than slight dial differences and limited production, but prices for these are through the roof:
http://doubleredseadweller.com/

Also consider the difference on having an in-house movement vs the other watches in this line, which are ETA movements; for example, the pre-2000 Rolex SS Daytonas w/Zenith movement are selling at 30-50% more than the post-2000 models, which feature a Rolex (better, actually) movement.