Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

My Forgestar Experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
2018 E43 | 2017 GLS450 | 2004 CLK 500
My Forgestar Experience

Just wanted to share my experience in case you're thinking about ordering a set. I ordered a set of F14's almost 17 weeks ago. The set took 8 weeks to arrive. After a casual inspection, one wheels was completely jacked up - it looked like a completely different cast wheel, or there were layers and layers of primer/powder coat on top to the point where the spoke edges were round instead of square. Poor quality control - it should have been easily spotted.

So no problem, my shop talked to Forgestar and they said they would make me a new wheel. I was hoping they would take care of me and expedite it - it's 1 wheel. but 9 weeks later, no buzz. So I checked in with my shop and Forgestar said they were waiting for a container of materials to finish my wheel. They think another 4 weeks.

I've read a lot of these types of issues with Forgestar after the fact, and wish I read before I made my order. And I'm guessing their 4 weeks means another 8 weeks. So by the time I get my wheels, it might be 25 weeks. And who knows if they will even be able to match the finish on the first 3 that have been sitting around a shop for the past 4 months.

If I had known it was going to take this long, I would have orderd some Work wheels from Japan or something else. I'm sure not everyone has had, or will have this experience, but do a quick web search - enough people have had issues that it's worth considering.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:10 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,361 Likes on 2,814 Posts
2012 CLS63
thanx, I appriciate threads like this one because it can reveal the true colors of so many companies that think it's OKAY to do business this way!
Can you imagine, or do you wonder if our fathers, or their fathers went through the same kind of retarded issues with 'service' and 'customer satisfaction' that we do today? I can't name the number of times I've read the stories and even myself; having incredibly terrible transactions left and right with people!
For gods sake! I swear if I had a business to run it would be like no other........blowing smoke; I know........but really.......
customer service and product quality combined: RARE...

thanx again for this post, sorry for my return rant
Old 12-10-2011, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 E550 Sedan
i'm sorry to hear that lowpost
but better late than never
Old 12-10-2011, 07:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SRT-6
Mine took a month and a half longer than I was told. Naturally I was peeved but the wheels, for the price, well I'm satisfied for the price. They're not show quality wheels either, lots of small defects in the clear coat, just affordable good looking wheels. They water mark easily and are hard to keep looking perfect. (machined face) I don't know how strong they really are, my 2 front ones are bent from potholes. One is pretty beat up from an off track excursion and striking a post, but it didn't bend. I think potholes are their weakness. I purchased my Forgestar's as race wheels. Considering all they've been through ........... my minimum expectations were met. Nothing more.

Les
Old 12-10-2011, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W209 55
A friend of mine waited 8+ weeks without even receiving a set.

I hope it works out for you. I've read numerous problems with them when I was thinking of buying a set of CF5s.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:14 AM

S63 / CLS63
can't polish a turd. do a search on iforged, same owners and i rest my case. the wheels are made overseas so that's why they take so long
Old 12-11-2011, 03:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

sorry its happening to you, but you should have searched, I have been warning anyone who would listen to me about Forgestars' wait times and quality. My past posts will explain it all. Hope it works out for you eventually. TC
Old 02-17-2012, 04:04 PM

2009 Evo X 420 AWHP, 2012 C250 Sedan
wow..sorry to bring this back from dead.. but i almost ordered a set of forgestars today.. until i read this after a search!! Thanks guys!!

they quoted me 6 weeks but dam now i know they meant 16 weeks.. phew.. definitely vossen for me.. thanks again for the warning
Old 02-17-2012, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by silversx
wow..sorry to bring this back from dead.. but i almost ordered a set of forgestars today.. until i read this after a search!! Thanks guys!!

they quoted me 6 weeks but dam now i know they meant 16 weeks.. phew.. definitely vossen for me.. thanks again for the warning
Just to update, I finally did get my wheel in 2 weeks ago. So overall it took 16 weeks for the 1 replacement wheel, and 24 weeks overall to have a complete set. Problem: As I suspected, they could not exactly match the finish on the 1 wheel - it's darker with more paint fleck. Not sure what's going to happen next, but my shop's supposed to contact Forgestar.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
10 E63, Sold -07 E63
Seems like this company doesn't care for it's customer base. I have been trying to get a hold Iforged for 2 weeks, via email, phone call, and not one response. I have a set of Iforged Daytona's I want redone and can't even get anyone to talk to.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:09 PM

1988 BMW M3
hmm, strange. i've ordered multiple sets of wheels directly through Iforged and have never had issues. I actually just ordered another set a couple days ago for my CLS.

GL to the OP and others who are having problems. I'm sure it'll all get sorted out.

contact numbers for iforged: (714) 484 - 1070
and for forgestar: (714) 826-8249
Old 02-18-2012, 08:32 PM

10 E63, Sold -07 E63
Yeah that strange if you where able to get someone on the SALES end.. but I don't get a response on the Customer Service end. 3 emails. 6 voicemails.

Originally Posted by sy0926
hmm, strange. i've ordered multiple sets of wheels directly through Iforged and have never had issues. I actually just ordered another set a couple days ago for my CLS.

GL to the OP and others who are having problems. I'm sure it'll all get sorted out.

contact numbers for iforged: (714) 484 - 1070
and for forgestar: (714) 826-8249
Old 02-18-2012, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not strange if you bother to search. Lots of stories with forgestar.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
05 e55
I too was getting pretty close to ordering a set of f14's for my 55, but this thread changed that. Sorry for the trouble you've faced, and Thank You for helping save fellow Mber's from facing a similar situation!
Old 02-20-2012, 10:24 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

N/A
This thread just highlight what we often tell our customer when they are price shopping custom wheels.

The amount of leverage high profile - high volume dealers have with custom wheel companies is far more important than price on these type of purchases. We get undercut constantly on Forgestar orders by companies willing to make pennies on a set of wheels, yet we see these stories pop up all the time and the vendors simply shy away from any resolution.

Understand that the wheels are not off the shelf products, they are highly customized from widths, offsets and to the largest offering of finishes in the cast wheel industry. It's a complicated product that requires a lot more time from the vendor than selling a set of Vossens, AvantGardes or other off the shelf wheels and the margins are lower than these other wheels as well. Tough combo, but we sell them because we believe in the quality and unique offerings from Forgestar.

There are sets of wheels on which we ended up losing money since we stepped up and handled the resolution on Forgestar behalf.

Forgestar is certainly not a perfect company, we have been with them since the beginning back in '09 and have helped them improve but to this day there are still issues. I am glad to say 100% of our clientèle ends up being satisfied with their Forgestar wheels as we constantly find a resolution to problems that may arise.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
The point is not the retailers penny pinching but rather whether this level of "quality" in a product is acceptable at any price.

The retailer should be able to represent and not worry about whether they sleep at night due to slush RC wheels or the vagaries of NCVTB.

Otherwise it is the same old Madoff nonsense in a Petri dish with car humanoid microbes.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:33 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

N/A
A lot of the Forgestar issues are vastly overplayed. There are now thousands of Forgestar sets on the road and if you filter through the waiting period complaints, there are very few finish and structural integrity mishaps.

We have had our fair share of wheels out of round and 95% of these were due to shipping damages.

If these issues were affecting more sets Forgestar would simply not be in business and as a retailer, we would not carry them.

The point is whether or not the chosen dealer will defend its customer and uphold Forgestar to its claimed quality standards. Many don't, and these threads pop up.

Originally Posted by grane
The point is not the retailers penny pinching but rather whether this level of "quality" in a product is acceptable at any price.

The retailer should be able to represent and not worry about whether they sleep at night due to slush RC wheels or the vagaries of NCVTB.

Otherwise it is the same old Madoff nonsense in a Petri dish with car humanoid microbes.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:17 AM

10 E63, Sold -07 E63
I am very understanding to the patience needed to create beautiful custom wheels. But there is no excuse to a hit or miss on the customer service area. This is so common, that you get superb to ok service when they want your money, but as soon as they have your commitment, the service drops significantly. I am still amazed at the lack of response from my weeks of calls and emails to Iforged themselves. Not even a email or voicemail saying we are busy and will get back to you at another time. I have had better service with replica wheel dealers and manufacturers than these so called high end wheel companies. Really just baffled to why their customer service can't handle such a simple task.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:25 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

N/A
Just a FYI, Forgestar is not set up at all to handle retail sales, they do wholesale only. We've had customers in the past call in to Forgestar for status updates and that didn't work at all.

Your retailer/dealer needs to handle all relations with Forgestars, otherwise communication will get mixed and it will worsen the situation.

If you email them they will most likely fwd the conversation to your dealer - that is if they can track down who you are.

By no way are these excuses, Forgestar should get better from a CS perspective, but customers need to understand how it should work - your dealer should make sure you understand that as well.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:16 PM

10 E63, Sold -07 E63
dealer or direct... a no response from any communication form for over weeks is not an excuse. A proper respond, even if automated in manner is better than none. I know they have not always been this way, because I have dealt with them before, so I expected at least the minimal, since my last experience was not so smooth either.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:30 PM

Honda Metropolitan
Any reason why they take 6-8 weeks to produce?
Old 02-21-2012, 05:02 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

N/A
They are not off the shelf wheels.

The blanks are made oversees, they arrive here unmachined (no bolt patterns, lowest possible offset) and unfinished (raw aluminum).

Forgestar needs to flow form the blanks, machine the wheels (bolt patterns and offsets) and then get these finished.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think the long story short of this is....you get what you pay for. That's the lesson learned. Customer Service aside, the inital issue should not have happened in the first place. I've been buying rims for 20 years - Racing Hart, Work, Volk, Brabus - and have never had a rim arrive mis-cast or mis-finished (grinding). We're not talking about shipping damage. We're talking about a rim that was obviously produced incorrectly from the other 3. Either noone looked at the rims before they shipped (most likely), or someone did notice and thought maybe my shop or myself would not notice. I would have been much better off paying an extra grand or so for rims not on the cheap.

My shop has not contacted Forgestar yet, but I'm tired of this so have already pulled the trigger on having them all repainted. Next time it'll be Brabus, HRE or Work/Volk.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:08 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

N/A
I would tend to agree with the mantra you get what you pay for. Many people believe the Forgestars are actually forged.

Forgestar made compromises to offer forged wheel like options (widths, offsets, finishes) but with drawbacks that can be important to customers (lead time, hub rings, new bolts, etc).

I'm saddened to hear this story and will fwd the thread to Forgestar, we'll see if it will help.

Originally Posted by lowpost
I think the long story short of this is....you get what you pay for. That's the lesson learned. Customer Service aside, the inital issue should not have happened in the first place. I've been buying rims for 20 years - Racing Hart, Work, Volk, Brabus - and have never had a rim arrive mis-cast or mis-finished (grinding). We're not talking about shipping damage. We're talking about a rim that was obviously produced incorrectly from the other 3. Either noone looked at the rims before they shipped (most likely), or someone did notice and thought maybe my shop or myself would not notice. I would have been much better off paying an extra grand or so for rims not on the cheap.

My shop has not contacted Forgestar yet, but I'm tired of this so have already pulled the trigger on having them all repainted. Next time it'll be Brabus, HRE or Work/Volk.

Last edited by CampioniShop; 02-22-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:42 PM

10 E63, Sold -07 E63
ChampioniShop, thank you for being on the middle of this, and with your involvement it shows that the company you work for or your company has standards above others. I hope to be able to do business with you someday.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My Forgestar Experience