Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Need advice on tires for C320 Sport Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 05:12 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 C320 SC
Need advice on tires for C320 Sport Coupe

Hi All,

I am getting new rear tires in the next couple of days..

I currently have the OEM Pilot Sports (which wear terribly, esp the rear). It seems the best thing to do is get 2 new Pilot Sports as rear tire replacements. That way, all 4 tires will match.

However, I read that it is OK to use another style of tire for the rear. If that is true, I much prefer the PS2s for the rear as they wear better. But since tread design is different, it may look very strange to do so.

Other than the fact that it might "look weird", are there any other cons for choosing to do this over having all Pilot Sports?

Thanks in advance for the input. It's much appreciated.

Janice
Old 04-06-2005, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 CLK320
Poor tread wear, harsh and noisy ride are characteristics of maximum performance tires. What you gain are better traction and cornering stability.

I am not sure if it's a good idea to mix tread design. Since 2004 C320 are not staggered and if your rear tires are not too bad, how about rotating the tires?

Once all 4 tires are worn out, you can then change them at the same time.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:54 AM
Almost a Member!

2004 C320 SC
Originally Posted by mis3
I am not sure if it's a good idea to mix tread design. Since 2004 C320 are not staggered and if your rear tires are not too bad, how about rotating the tires?

Once all 4 tires are worn out, you can then change them at the same time.
Thanks for the tip, mis3. The rear ones are really bad.. the right one is completely bald.. the left one has less than 50% tread (I'd estimate about 4/32" or 2/32"). It seems that rotating is not an option for me anymore. Not sure why my SA never told me it's time to rotate the tires (even though I've inquired about it several times -- before the tires were this worn out). The fronts have 50% left..
Old 04-07-2005, 12:59 PM

This is what I know but I can be wrong.

2/32 and 4/32 are not really 50% worn. When a tire goes down to 3/32 or below, you may experience hydro-planing. General rule if a tire reaches 2/32, it's finished. So, the mid-point between 2/32 and 10/32 (new) is actually 6/32.

If all of your tires are around or below 4/32, it's time to buy new set. If you found that the tread life of these max performance tires were below your expectation, you should look into some lower grade performance summer tires. It all depends on your driving style, you may not need max performance tires afterall.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:09 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 C320 SC
Originally Posted by CLK-1
This is what I know but I can be wrong.

2/32 and 4/32 are not really 50% worn. When a tire goes down to 3/32 or below, you may experience hydro-planing. General rule if a tire reaches 2/32, it's finished. So, the mid-point between 2/32 and 10/32 (new) is actually 6/32.

If all of your tires are around or below 4/32, it's time to buy new set. If you found that the tread life of these max performance tires were below your expectation, you should look into some lower grade performance summer tires. It all depends on your driving style, you may not need max performance tires afterall.
If that is the case, then my front tires are at 6/32" (50% according to my SA) while for the rear ones, the left one is probably at 4/32 and the right one is less than 2/32... an odd situation. What would you recommend I do? Just get 2 new rear Pilot Sports? Thing is... I don't want Pilot Sports (220 treadwear) anymore. Prefer either PS2 (also 220 treadwear but better all-around tire than OEM Pilot Sports) or Pilot Sport A/S (400 treadwear).
Old 04-07-2005, 03:35 PM

This is not old at all. There are many reasons for uneven wear and the primary one is alignment.

You have 2 choices, replace 2 or replace all 4.

If you replace the 2/32 and 4/32 by the same or PS2, the rear tires will wear out faster than the front. So when the front tires are worn out, the rear ones will be finished as well. You can then replace all 4.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:06 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
get two more Pilots .... seeing your history of a lack of tire rotation when your wear them out you can change all four and go to the PS2's ....

mixing tire types/sizes or new with
partially worn tires may cause
unpredictable handling,braking
or loss of vehicle control.
New tires should be installed
on the rear axle.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Debadged 6-Speed '05 C320 Sports Coupe
The rear tire wear on my C320 Sports Coupe is fast, but even. When speaking to my service advisor, who also drives a Sports Coupe, she indicates that she goes through rear tires very quickly as well.

My driving technique contributes to the accelerated wear, heavy throttle use and lots of fun on the corners takes it's toll on the tread life.

The alternatives are unacceptable to me. Driving a lesser car, less snap in velocity changes, less g-forces or harder tires will less grip are all choices that I will not tolerate. Instead I pay more bucks for tires than would otherwise be required.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 CLK320
Wingless: If I were you with your driving style, I would not settle for anything less than max performance tires.

For me with my 2004 CLK320, I actually opted from 4-season tires for summer use with dedicated snow tires for winter. I did my research and decided on Pirelli Pzero Nero M&S. In fact, I am supposed to get them next week.

These Pirelli are rated No.1 in Tirerack in the ultra high performance all-season category. These tires are supposed to offer great treadwear, quiet /comfortable ride with decent grip and steering response.

Now, it would be great if Tirerack can do comparisons between max performance tires and utlra high performance all-seasons. I know some of you may say that this is comparing apples and oranges but it will be interesting to know how much performance one will loose in choosing all-seasons.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:03 PM

I actually opted from 4-season tires for summer use with dedicated snow tires for winter.
Why? Isn't the only reason to select all-season so that two sets of rubber would not be required? Or, are you hoping for better tread life?
Old 04-07-2005, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 CLK320
Originally Posted by wingless
Why? Isn't the only reason to select all-season so that two sets of rubber would not be required? Or, are you hoping for better tread life?
I am not sure why. The MB makes me a different driver. With my previous car, Honda Prelude, I used to be an aggressive driver. I used to drive fast, cut lanes, took sharp corners, took unnecessary chances, etc. With the MB, although I still drive fast occasionally, I am now more calm and courteous behind the wheels. Maybe I am getting older, maybe I cannot afford any more traffic ticket, maybe (most probably) the interior of my CLK is so calm and elegance, I don't know.

Because I used my OE 16-inch wheels for winter use, I was looking for a set of 17-inch wheels/tires for summer. Due to my current driving style, I found I have no use for max performance tires. I now want a set of tires which gives me quiet and comfortable ride with good tread wear. My research told me that all season tires have improved over the years. Many of them do possess decent road holding ability.

For safety and because my MB is a rear-wheel drive, I still insist on dedicated winter tires for winter use.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:39 AM

I now want a set of tires which gives me quiet and comfortable ride with good tread wear. My research told me that all season tires have improved over the years. Many of them do possess decent road holding ability.

For safety and because my MB is a rear-wheel drive, I still insist on dedicated winter tires for winter use.
It seems atypical, to me, that increased safety, in the form of increased grip, would be selected for winter operation, at the expense of wheels and convenience, but decreased safety would be selected, in the form of decreased grip, would be selected for summer usage, to attain lower tire costs. This combination appears even more unusual because two sets of rubber are already being employed.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:46 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 C320 SC
Originally Posted by Luke@tirerack
get two more Pilots .... seeing your history of a lack of tire rotation when your wear them out you can change all four and go to the PS2's ....

mixing tire types/sizes or new with
partially worn tires may cause
unpredictable handling,braking
or loss of vehicle control.
New tires should be installed
on the rear axle.
Hi Luke,

What do you think of this "deal": I got a set of 4 BRIDGESTONE POTENZA RE750s (as recommended by the manager at Wheel Works who drives an E55 himself). He doesn't think I need the PS2s since my car doesn't have 300+ HP and it's not likely that I will push my car to it's limit. He also says I probably won't notice any difference in grip. The main benefit according to him is that my tires will last much longer (treadwear rated at 380 I believe.. vs the PS2 and PS's 220).

I paid $850 out-the-door (including alignment - it turns out that my car's alignment was really bad) and will get a $75 rebate in the mail.

Was this a good deal or should I have gone with the PS2s? America's Tire Co. was willing to put on a set of 4 PS2s for about $700 out-the-door (no alignment, they don't do it). Handling should be much better(?) though I guess the tradeoff would have been increased tire wear.. again.

Thanks in advance.