Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

CLK500 chronic brake squeal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 04:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK500 Elegance
CLK500 chronic brake squeal

My CLK500 has 20,000km and has chronic brake squeal. It has been to three dealers. They have cleaned calipers, put anti-squeal paste, chamfered pads - no good. I removed the wheels, cleaned the calipers, applied disc conditioner on the rotors, no good. Took to the dealer, they stripped it and found the pads were wearing away BUT leaving a narrow ridge at the top of the pad. This bit was not wearing away. As the brakes were applied, at low speed, just before the car stops, the ridge, scrapped on the discs and made the super squeal, obviously the more the pads wore, the higher the ridge became. Any way, the dealer machined off the ridge [all 4 wheels]. No squeal!! But, they expect the problem to reoccur when the pads wear again. They spoke to the technical department of Mercedes Benz in Australia. They are "still looking into it". They acknowledge it happens sometimes. The dealer said it has occurred with several other cars [the others were a CLA500 and an E class]. They all start at around 17000km [exactly when mine started]. For the CLA, they replaced all 4 discs.

Is this a common problem?
Has anyone come across it?
What is the fix?
Old 03-29-2006, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
First I've heard of a CLK, E, or any other except for the SLR--which has ceramic brakes. They have had nothing but squealing w/ those, and last I heard they have not solved that problem either.

Strange...
Old 04-06-2006, 12:49 AM

2010 ML350 CDI AMG Sports, BMW e92 335i (sold), CLK240 Avantgarde (sold)
Originally Posted by Sydney Benz
My CLK500 has 20,000km and has chronic brake squeal. It has been to three dealers. They have cleaned calipers, put anti-squeal paste, chamfered pads - no good. I removed the wheels, cleaned the calipers, applied disc conditioner on the rotors, no good. Took to the dealer, they stripped it and found the pads were wearing away BUT leaving a narrow ridge at the top of the pad. This bit was not wearing away. As the brakes were applied, at low speed, just before the car stops, the ridge, scrapped on the discs and made the super squeal, obviously the more the pads wore, the higher the ridge became. Any way, the dealer machined off the ridge [all 4 wheels]. No squeal!! But, they expect the problem to reoccur when the pads wear again. They spoke to the technical department of Mercedes Benz in Australia. They are "still looking into it". They acknowledge it happens sometimes. The dealer said it has occurred with several other cars [the others were a CLA500 and an E class]. They all start at around 17000km [exactly when mine started]. For the CLA, they replaced all 4 discs.

Is this a common problem?
Has anyone come across it?
What is the fix?
Hi,

Can you tell me which dealer that actually machined off the ridge? because I've had the same problem since around 20000km, got my car from Morrison's @ Chatswood and the mechanics are useless!

Thanks,

Last edited by kaiju; 04-06-2006 at 12:52 AM.