Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Advice on Unusual Tire Wear Pattern

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500 2001 Formula 1 Edition;
Advice on Unusual Tire Wear Pattern

I have a 2001 R129 (SL 500). It has 18 inch 245/40's in the front. The driver's side tire needs to be replaced because the outside part of the tread has worn WAY faster than the rest of the tire and WAY WAY faster than the passenger side. Both sides have some type of Dunlap run-flat. I am replacing them with Mic. Pilot Sport A/S, hoping to get better wear.

Could an alignment problem cause this on just one side of the car? I've only had her for the last 7000 miles, and both tires looked about the same when I got her (I think), but the passenger side still looks almost new, while the drivers side has the above problem.

Oh, and I don't spend a lot of time making left turns only, so I don't think that's it.

Any suggestions as to the cause?
Old 04-04-2006, 04:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 E320
Originally Posted by mebeJOE
Could an alignment problem cause this on just one side of the car? I've only had her for the last 7000 miles, and both tires looked about the same when I got her (I think), but the passenger side still looks almost new, while the drivers side has the above problem.
Sure, only one side of the vehicle could be way out of alignment. I would replace both front tires (all four ideally) and have both the front and rear professionally aligned.

Last edited by Luke@tirerack; 04-07-2006 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500 2001 Formula 1 Edition;
Okay, thanks for the advice, which I will be following. The rear tires I just replaced about 150 miles ago, so they should still be fine (at $300 each, they aren't getting changed again ). Both fronts are getting changed tomorrow. And then to the shop for alignment.

Thanks again.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by mebeJOE
I have a 2001 R129 (SL 500). It has 18 inch 245/40's in the front.

Oh, and I don't spend a lot of time making left turns only, so I don't think that's it.

Any suggestions as to the cause?
I would suspect that the camber is too positive on the pass. side wheel. I normally use 0 to 1/4 degree positive. My guess is you are close to 1 causing the tire to lean the top of the tire away from the car. You can check this with a cheap inclinometer for about $10.00. I use to set up my corvettes with this tool. You will need a STRAIGHT EDGE that fits the rim outer edge. You will also have to compensate for the slope of the floor where the car is sitting. But you can actually check this at home without going to the dealer.

So my $.02 is camber is too positive only on 1 wheel causing this problem. Don't install new tires with out checking this. You might have a belt off center but if it has happened to more than 1 brand of tire it has to be camber. Jim
Old 04-07-2006, 04:45 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
have you given any thought to the driver ???? a have seen this happen quite a few times when people drive the same route day after day and take those "right turn" on-ramps for the highway a little faster than they should ..... just a thought

Last edited by Luke@tirerack; 04-07-2006 at 04:49 PM.