Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Tire Plugs or Patches?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Tire Plugs or Patches?

Years ago someone convinced me to stop using plugs to fix holes in my tires. What is the current line of thinking with plugs vs. patches? Has plug technology advanced to the point where it is as good if not better than removing the tire from the rim and patching from the inside? Plugs are much more convenient as I can quickly do them myself and if there's no advantage to patching from the inside I would pass on it.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
My experience with a 285x45x18 tire was the plug continued to leak until the tire was replaced. I used a plug due to location and skills of the shop. Otherwise I would only use an inside patch. Remember inside airpressure and rotational forces hold the patch in place but a plug is blown out or pressed through by the pressure from weight. But this is just my $.02.. Jim
Old 04-28-2006, 04:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mymbonline
i have used plugs since i began driving (7yrs ago) and even before my parents used plugs and i've never had a problem. and i regularly hit over 120+ and drive hard in the canyons
Old 04-28-2006, 10:34 AM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
Patching from the inside of the tire is the recommended way to repair a puncture
Old 04-28-2006, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
things with and without wheels
Originally Posted by Luke@tirerack
Patching from the inside of the tire is the recommended way to repair a puncture
there is a combination patch/ plug available, I think Sears uses this set up

and dont forget to rebalance your wheel after that
Old 05-01-2006, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most shops don't want the liability of putting in a plug. I guess they feel like the tire could "throw out" the plug as the dynamics of the tire change with temperature and driving habits.

Personally, I've used the plugs since I've been driving and never had a problem. In fact.......I have an air compressor in my garage and a plug kit from "snap on" tools. I've been plugging my own tires for 20 years......never had a problem. I can tell you that, I've even plugged a tire on my Z06 Vette! It's on the front passenger side and I've had the car over 125 mph with the plug in........no problems!