Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

stock s55 with 22" rims on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 02:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stock s55 with 22" rims on

Just purchased it last week and the dealer (mercedes) installed 22" on it. Looks great but I don't know I'll have any problem with it? Tirerack website said 20" is max for s55.

Show me how to post some pics here. I'll take some tomorrow and post it here.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:07 AM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
what size tires are you running????

email pictures to me and I will post them for you
Old 05-19-2006, 01:27 AM

Running on 245/30zr22 all around. I wanted it staggered but they said no, this one can't be staggered. Same day I bought mine, there was one s55 with same rims and tires and the owner is a service advisor's friend, that's why I went with 22".

They're 245 but look way way wider than my e46 bimmer with 245 in the rear.

Haven't have a chance to take pics today, will do it tomorrow and email you (should be luke at tirerack dot com???)

Anyway, if I hit a curb. The rims will damage before the tires. I'll take a pic with closer look so you can see.

What is the best way to store tires??? Rightnow, I have 4 19" rims (with tires on) stacking up in my garage.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:45 AM
TR Moderator & Tire God

depends on the weather
Wow a Mercedes Benz dealership installed those

So, let's look at your current 22" setup

The Facts:

A P-Metric tires max load is achieved at 35 psi and a Euro metric tires max load is achieved at 36 psi adding more air pressure will not increase the tires load capacity but, lowering it will reduce the load carrying ablility. When increasing pressure all you are accomplishing is a lower rolling resistance, quicker steering response, stiffer ride and contact patch reduction.

Based on an S55:
the OE tire is a 245/45-18 100Y
max load capacity is 1764 lbs.
load capacity at recommended pressure (which we will call PLC for "placard load capacity") at 29psi = 1567 lbs.

so, the minimum load capacity for a S55 tire is 1567 lbs. according to the PLC

now if you look at the tires on your 22" wheels
245/30-22 92Y
max load is 1389
PLC = 1279
now lets consider the idea of running a capacity that is too low .... what happens:
the tire is put into a condition where it can support the car at a static rest point but, when driven aggressively the sidewalls are so over worked they can not properly control the contact patch of the tire allowing for excessive sidewall roll-over, irregular wear tread block and contact patch flex which robs the tires performance ability and grip. also the added flexing of the tire will increase the heat it generates which can make a tire feel really slippery and possibly lead to a catastrophic failure ....

A good way to understand this is: let's say I just put a 100lb. back pack on you .... you can stand there for quite a while (that's your car sitting in a parking lot) now go run up and down some stairs with that back pack .... that's normal driving .... and you can't do that very well, nearly as fast or for very long before your legs give out .... after you've recovered enough to walk , take a 500 meter sprint through deep sand, that's your really aggressive driving, and you will most likely not make it to the finish without falling atleast once if you can finish at all.

with all of that said .... you should really have a talk with the dealer about the safety of that wheel and tire package
Old 05-20-2006, 03:12 AM

I'll talk to 'em sometime next week. So, what's your suggestion on the wheels??? Can I go ahead for 20" or 19"?

Seriously, it looks great but I don't like it. The tires are too thin, the rims too wide......

Luke, what should I tell them about it? Or just print your previous post and give it to them

I'll email you some pics ritenow, please post 'em here. There are a few guys wanna see it. I tried to upload the pics but they're too large or something.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:00 AM
TR Moderator & Tire God

depends on the weather

Old 05-24-2006, 03:17 AM

Tried to put 19" back on but they hit the amg calibers!!! need spacers (no, no) so, will order 20" (no spacers please!)
Old 05-24-2006, 08:47 AM
TR Moderator & Tire God

depends on the weather
why not get a set of wheels that fit your car correctly
Old 05-25-2006, 03:23 AM

shopping for 20" rightnow. Looking at CEC 721b with 20x9 and 20x10.5
Luke, let me know via email if you have it and how much it will cost?
Old 05-25-2006, 09:31 AM
TR Moderator & Tire God

depends on the weather
we do not carry that wheel brand ... sorry