Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Can use of H&R spacers in rear cause vibration?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 03:19 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 C230 SS 6spd
Can use of H&R spacers in rear cause vibration?

I'm getting a slight vibration when using H&R hubcentric 10mm spacers in the rear, but without the spacers no vibration. Can the use of hubcentric spacers in the rear cause a vibration at freeway speeds? Wheel offset is 37 and they are 18x9.

Can the use of spacers accentuate a wheel balance problem?

Thanks.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
If the rims fit and do not vibrate without them why are you using? Why do you need an offset of et27?
Old 12-21-2006, 08:55 PM
Almost a Member!

03 C230 SS 6spd
Originally Posted by E55 KEV
If the rims fit and do not vibrate without them why are you using? Why do you need an offset of et27?
Just for aesthetics.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 ///AMG
yes, it will cause the vibration
Old 12-22-2006, 11:37 AM
Almost a Member!

03 C230 SS 6spd
Originally Posted by rlee02135
yes, it will cause the vibration

what's the reason and how do you know?
Old 12-22-2006, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Carcrazy2
what's the reason and how do you know?
Vibrations can be the most frustrating problems a car can have. If it vibrates with the spacers and it does not without them, then I think it's safe to blame the spacers!

How? It could be as simple as one of the spacers not seating properly on the hub, or against the tire, making the wheel sit improperly. You might try a second set (loaners) and compare. But it could also be something more fundamental to the suspension caused by a change in offset. Any of the many links and joints can start to vibrate oddly, and oscillate because of the unusual force caused by the new offset. Audi has just such an issue with the older S6. People go through new tires, new wheels, new control arms, and sometimes it goes away, and sometimes not.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:50 PM
Almost a Member!

03 C230 SS 6spd
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
Vibrations can be the most frustrating problems a car can have. If it vibrates with the spacers and it does not without them, then I think it's safe to blame the spacers!

How? It could be as simple as one of the spacers not seating properly on the hub, or against the tire, making the wheel sit improperly. You might try a second set (loaners) and compare. But it could also be something more fundamental to the suspension caused by a change in offset. Any of the many links and joints can start to vibrate oddly, and oscillate because of the unusual force caused by the new offset. Audi has just such an issue with the older S6. People go through new tires, new wheels, new control arms, and sometimes it goes away, and sometimes not.
Hey thanks for the insight. Initially I too thought that it was the change in offset magnifying something loose in the suspension, until I looked more closely at the fitment of the spacers.

It turns out the that even highly acclaimed H&R spacers can have a fitment issue! The hub extension that the wheels fit on are smaller in diameter than they should be by 1 mm and that makes the wheels non-hubcentric! I'll be getting H&R to replace them.