Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Luke: Kumho Ecsta SPT or Dunlop Direzza DZ101 for W211

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Luke: Kumho Ecsta SPT or Dunlop Direzza DZ101 for W211

Luke,

In an earlier thread ( https://mbworld.org/forums/wheels-tires-suspension-brakes-forum/191413-luke-question-about-yokohama-s-drive-c-drive-tires.html ) I asked for your opinion on some tires that aren't very popular. I'm guessing you've never heard of them or have no experience with them. If you get a free moment, would you mind answering a question on more popular tires?

Given a budget of around 700.00 which would you choose for a 2004 E500 with tire sizes of 245/35/19 front and 275/30/19 rear. My current General Exclaim UHP's have gotten too loud and I can't stand it anymore. The Generals are directional sitting on staggered wheels and have never been rotated because of that. The car is also lowered. I'm sure these are the reasons for feathering on the outers of the tires and the root of the noise.

So back to my question. Since I haven't been able to get more than 10K miles out of a set of tires yet, I can't bring myself to purchase an expensive set. Given a budget of around 700.00, which way would you go? The Kumho SPT's or the Dunlop DZ101's? Or do you have another recommendation?

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:58 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
soory about the S-Drive and C-Drive thread ... I have been really busy and the info on both of those tires is extremely limited at this time as they are just starting to come into the states. I believe we are planning on testing the S-Drive in May and the C-drive later this summer.

picking between the Ecsta SPT and the DZ101 my choice would definitely be the SPT ...

if you are wearing tires that fast you really need to check the alignment or your driving style
Old 04-26-2007, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Luke@tirerack
soory about the S-Drive and C-Drive thread ... I have been really busy and the info on both of those tires is extremely limited at this time as they are just starting to come into the states. I believe we are planning on testing the S-Drive in May and the C-drive later this summer.

picking between the Ecsta SPT and the DZ101 my choice would definitely be the SPT ...

if you are wearing tires that fast you really need to check the alignment or your driving style
Thanks Luke,

I know you're a busy man and it seems like every thread here starts with "LUKE-HELP" or something like that.

Do you think it may be wise to hang on for the s.drive's then? May is right around the corner and I should be able to wait a couple weeks if you think that they're going to be a superior product. Any guess on pricing? Are they gonna be priced close to the Kumho's and Dunlop's?

I'll get the car aligned with the next set of tires. I can't imagine that it's that far off becuase the car tracks relatively straight. Could be the camber from the lowering...I dunno. Probably not my driving style. The car is a daily driver and is in traffic most of the time. I do, however, toss her around a bit in the twisties when given the chance I've also been known to some 125+mph blasts...but only occasionally.

Thanks again, and let me know if you think should wait on for the S-drives.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
Luke,

In an earlier thread ( https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=191413 ) I asked for your opinion on some tires that aren't very popular. I'm guessing you've never heard of them or have no experience with them. If you get a free moment, would you mind answering a question on more popular tires?

Given a budget of around 700.00 which would you choose for a 2004 E500 with tire sizes of 245/35/19 front and 275/30/19 rear. My current General Exclaim UHP's have gotten too loud and I can't stand it anymore. The Generals are directional sitting on staggered wheels and have never been rotated because of that. The car is also lowered. I'm sure these are the reasons for feathering on the outers of the tires and the root of the noise.

So back to my question. Since I haven't been able to get more than 10K miles out of a set of tires yet, I can't bring myself to purchase an expensive set. Given a budget of around 700.00, which way would you go? The Kumho SPT's or the Dunlop DZ101's? Or do you have another recommendation?

Thanks for your help.
Benz-o-rama

I have a set of the Kumho ecsta spt on my E55 they are one of the 4 brands that produce a tire with the specific load rating for an E55. I got them from Luke and he like everyone told me PS2s are the best for an E55. That may be true but The kumhos are $500. a set 18". The E55 can eat a set of tires in less than a day. And I, like you, know a 35 series tire gets loud after 7 to 8K miles so. Why pay more and try to make them last, give me 2X fresh rubber.
BTW they are smooth and quiet and grip better than the OEM Continentals.
oops I see they are now a best seller and the price is up $100 still a good deal.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Yacht Master
Benz-o-rama

I have a set of the Kumho ecsta spt on my E55 they are one of the 4 brands that produce a tire with the specific load rating for an E55. I got them from Luke and he like everyone told me PS2s are the best for an E55. That may be true but The kumhos are $500. a set 18". The E55 can eat a set of tires in less than a day. And I, like you, know a 35 series tire gets loud after 7 to 8K miles so. Why pay more and try to make them last, give me 2X fresh rubber.
BTW they are smooth and quiet and grip better than the OEM Continentals.
oops I see they are now a best seller and the price is up $100 still a good deal.
Thanks for the input, Y.M.

I think you've just made my mind up for me.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Welp,

Went ahead and pulled the trigger on the SPT's. Luke, I also put you in as the salesperson so hopefully you'll get a little commission on it. Maybe enough for a Grande Frappacino at Starbucks or something.

Thanks for the input.