Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

AMG/OEM rotors or DiscItalia????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none
AMG/OEM rotors or DiscItalia????

I'm hoping that Luke or someone who has alot of product info can help me out here. I need to replace my rotors within the next couple weeks. They are toast.

My two options are as follows, both being sent for cryo treatment also:

1. OEM AMG discs, $500 roughly for the pair, very nice design and proven as the C43 stops excellent.

2. DiscItalia crossed drilled/vented discs, $800 for the pair, way cooler looking, just don't want the benefit to stop there, I'm curious about this brand in terms of material, weight, thickness, experience etc....

...I've heard that DiscItalia takes OEM rotors, and dose the neccessary machine work to properly vent and cross drill them. Not sure how true this is.

I just don't want to spend the extra $$ for nothing but looks and possible a decline in performance.

THANKS.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:14 PM

99 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by NitrogenBalance
I'm hoping that Luke or someone who has alot of product info can help me out here. I need to replace my rotors within the next couple weeks. They are toast.

My two options are as follows, both being sent for cryo treatment also:

1. OEM AMG discs, $500 roughly for the pair, very nice design and proven as the C43 stops excellent.

2. DiscItalia crossed drilled/vented discs, $800 for the pair, way cooler looking, just don't want the benefit to stop there, I'm curious about this brand in terms of material, weight, thickness, experience etc....

...I've heard that DiscItalia takes OEM rotors, and dose the neccessary machine work to properly vent and cross drill them. Not sure how true this is.

I just don't want to spend the extra $$ for nothing but looks and possible a decline in performance.

THANKS.
I have these DiscItalia brake rotors paired with Rotex Gold Kevlar pads. To be honest, I can't really say if they're any better or worse than stock because they came like that on the car. The PO said they were much much better, but then again he was trying to sell me the car. At that price for the brakes, I really hope they are better. For my experience, these rotors have done me VERY well even at the Big Track at Willow Springs. And yes, they do look very cool.
Here they are after a full day at the track. They now have about 18k miles on them. The pads are very very meaty still and leave very little brake dust(for street driving).

IMHO, these brakes are nice, but are they worth the extra money... I don't think so. A Cryo'd set of stock rotors should do you just fine.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:37 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
you will not be able to notice a performance difference between option #1 and option #2 (I would be willing to place a small wager on that fact as well).... other than the asthetics .... I would not spend the addition coinage to get the drilled rotors
Old 08-01-2007, 04:29 PM

Rotors S55

I saw your post and wondering about the $$$ you mention;

1. OEM $500 / pair
2. DicItalia $800 / pair

I have an S55 that MB quoted $600 cad each rotor. On the Brakeworld site they quote $400 usd for a pair DiscItalia. Quite a difference here and what you mention?

Did you replace with DiscItalia and are you happy with them? What pads did you use?

Thanks.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:59 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
I am not famliar with every brake manufacturer out there so here's my 2 cents. While the "DiscItalia" name makes you think they were made in Italy I would verify if they actually are made there. .... stay away from rotors made in China/Korea/Far East because of quality issues