Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Please help! Rear wheels won't clear caliper!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 02:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes CL500
Please help! Rear wheels won't clear caliper!

Please help, guys.

I've recently acquired a set of chrome 20' Symbolic 3 piece SL-27 wheels. The fronts are 8.5 and the rears are 9.5 wide. They're mounted with 245/35/20 Falkens on the front and 275/35/20 on the rear.

As I was told, these wheels and tires came off a 2006' S500.

When I took the rims and tires to a local tire shop, they were able to mount them on my 2000' W215 CL500, even though it was somewhat of a tight fit. However, as soon as they lowered the car and backed up, Ka Bang! The rear calipers struck the rims without mercy.

I really like these rims and would like to make them fit on my car. The seller has been very confident that my car should not have any problems with these rims/tires.

Could anyone please help as to what I should do? Do I need spacers? New lugs/bolts?

Please help! I am now driving around with two 20' inch rims in the front and 2 18' AMG monoblocks in the rear. Gawd I look like someone with a Reentech twin turbo CL65 that just came back from a drag strip!

Thanks in advance!

Jon
Old 08-31-2007, 02:09 AM

Mercedes CL500
For those of you who are curious, this is how the wheels look like:

http://www.luxurywheelstore.com/inde...products_id=95
Old 08-31-2007, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Sounds like a 10 size foot in a 9 size shoe.

You either have to change the calipers or rims. I am sure you knew that in advance. So if you really want the rims you will have to shop for performance brakes that will fit. This could throw the braking system out if not careful. Make sure the pad size is the same and rotor size. That way if you find a caliper you can check at the point of contact for size.

There is also the possibility of have a machine shop massage your calipers to fit given you don't go too far.

In either case modification of the brake are the only option I see. You might consider selling the rims. Best of luck. Remember any modification to your brakes will be at your own risk with no warranty.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:04 AM

Mercedes CL500
Thank you for your help.

Will buying spacers help me in this situation?

For some reason, I've always thought that W215 is fine with wearing W220 rims/tires.

Thanks again.

Jon
Old 09-01-2007, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by Baby ///M3
Thank you for your help.

Will buying spacers help me in this situation?

For some reason, I've always thought that W215 is fine with wearing W220 rims/tires.

Thanks again.

Jon
Depends? Where is it contacting the rim. If it is on the outer portion where the wheel mounts spacers won't help. If it is on the inner face they might. I don't have enough info to say for sure. Pics of where the problem is would help.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:26 AM

Mercedes CL500
Thank you!

My problem is finally resolved. I went with a pair of H&R 5mm spacers in the back and now the wheels fit just fine, even though they're literally lined up with the fenders.

I did buy a set of H &R 10mm spacers just to see what difference it would make and unfortunately, the retailer would not accept any refund since one of the spacers was test fitted on my car.

If anyone needs them, I would be more than happy to see the H&R 10mm spacers, which are practically brand new, for $90.

Jon
Old 09-08-2007, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 E500 and Corvette
Glad the spacers worked out for you. Have a nice day. Jim