Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Car wandering since new alloys

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes 230 (210)
Unhappy Car wandering since new alloys

I have just fitted 4 new alloys to my 1997 saloon E class 230 Elegance(210), & have noticed that besides steering not being dead straight the car wanders on some roads.
I mean by this, the feeling is like that is going to the left & then right in a slight kind of zig zag way(hard to describe unless your behind your driving it).
The wheels are actually 17 inch with 235/45 17 Dunlop sport tyres on all four. The new alloys have an offset of ET34 but handbook does state recomended offsets 35-37 etc. I was told by fitter that a few inches difference would not matter.
Gratefull for any suggestions as to if this should be expected with larger wheels?
Old 11-04-2007, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
04 S430 (sold),05 X5 4.4i, 02 325i, 87 560SL, 85 Alfa Romeo
Originally Posted by books
I have just fitted 4 new alloys to my 1997 saloon E class 230 Elegance(210), & have noticed that besides steering not being dead straight the car wanders on some roads.
I mean by this, the feeling is like that is going to the left & then right in a slight kind of zig zag way(hard to describe unless your behind your driving it).
The wheels are actually 17 inch with 235/45 17 Dunlop sport tyres on all four. The new alloys have an offset of ET34 but handbook does state recomended offsets 35-37 etc. I was told by fitter that a few inches difference would not matter.
Gratefull for any suggestions as to if this should be expected with larger wheels?
Perhaps you already had the problem but it was less noticable because your old tires had worn to compensate......
This is a common wake-up call if you have been riding on worn tires or worn suspension components the get a new set of wheels and tires.

Either way, the best thing to do at this point is have the alignment checked and the suspension components inspected.