Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Clicking noise from back 2 rims

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2002, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK
Clicking noise from back 2 rims

I just put on new 18x8.5 rims from Brabus with tire size 225-40 onto my sister's slk. There is now a clicking sound coming from the back of the car where the rims are. It seems like somethings hitting everytime the tire makes a revolution. It happens going 10mph and slower. Did I overlook anything while putting on the rims? Any help would be appreciated.

Additional information:
These rims came off my clk if that makes any difference.
Old 11-17-2002, 05:07 AM

C200K
Bjorn,

You will need to get slightly shorter wheel bolts, the sound you are hearing is the tip of the wheel bolt hitting your brake disc ! (not good!!) refrain from driving until you get new bolts put on... or you may damage your rear brake disc.

Most tyre/wheel shop will be able to source you shorter lug nuts, alternatively you can get the bolts directly from Brabus (which is a ripoff)... another idea is to go to a mercedes specialty parts store (not the dealer) with a bolt from your sister's rear wheel and say... "I want 10 slightly shorter bolts" and show them your bolt.

Don't go too short! It is resommended that a wheel bolt grips with at least 4 teeth.

Hope that helps...

AArrgghh... everyone's getting 18's but me...drool:p
Old 11-17-2002, 05:11 AM

CLK
Thanks a lot for the reply. Will use shorter bolts and see if the sound is gone.
Old 11-17-2002, 09:33 PM

asdf
I agree with 3pointedstar. Take it from someone who's it happened to. I installed my rims at my shop and had no problems for the first few months. After taking my car into the dealership for some suspicious noises, i noticed that NEW noises were now added to the list. I had some squeeking and some clicking noises. Turne out the dealership put the front lugs in the rear and the rear in the front. Instead of buying new lugs, just bring it into a shop and they could help you trim off the excess amount on your currnet lugs. Worked fine for me..
Old 11-17-2002, 09:52 PM

CLK
Thanks everyone for the help. Bolts are changed and everything is running smoothly now.
Old 11-18-2002, 12:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
LOW TECH solution

What tire are you using. I put new Yokohamas AVS db tires on my 98 E430 and occasionaly heard a clicking sound every revolution. I keep checking and checking and could not find a fitment problem - I even jacked up the rear and let the wheels spin.

The problem - you won't believe this - The tires tread would pick up rocks and that was the source of the clicking sound.