Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Do I need cross-drilled rotors with Akebono/Porterfields?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E320, 2004 Lexus GX470
Do I need cross-drilled rotors with Akebono/Porterfields?

My 2004 E320 is at 53,000 miles and my MB shop has recommended new rear brakes and rotors ($389 estimate). These brakes have served me well for the past 4 yrs, but I'm looking at this as an opportunity to greatly reduce the brake dust constantly getting on my wheels so after reading several threads I'm going to get upgraded pads Akebono or Porterfield R4-S pads for the front & rear. Despite going thru past threads I still have a question about whether I need different rotors (Zimmerman cross drilled?) other than the OEM rotors to get at least the same stopping performance ... what do yall think?

Old threads:
Dreaded Brake Dust
Brake Upgrade Options/Feedback
What brake pads to get
Old 08-14-2008, 02:08 PM

clk 500 (wifey's); 350Z roadster (daily driver); 350Z coupe (track car)
No, you don't need to upgrade your rotors. Regarding pads, it sounds like minimal dust is your priority, so OEM would probably be best. If you change to a more aggressive pad, you are very likely to get more dust AND more noise. Its like everything else with cars, there is usually a trade off between comfort and performance. Brakes are no different.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:17 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
OEM for minimal dust ... you have got to be kidding ... the number one complaint of Mercedes owners worldwide is the excessive amount of braek dust the OEM brakes create.

Look for some Akebono or Mintex brake pads and no you do not need cross drilled rotors
Old 08-14-2008, 08:40 PM

clk 500 (wifey's); 350Z roadster (daily driver); 350Z coupe (track car)
LOL.... no, I wasn't kidding!!!!! I have had Hawks, Posiquiets and Axxis on my other cars, all with moderate amounts of dust. I have NEVER had any issues with dust with OEMs on my Mercedes.
I just put Axxis Ultimates on my CLK500 (I know you are not a fan of those Luke!) because the Mintex apparently are out of stock right now, and while they have more "bite" than OEMs, they definitely produce a lot more dust.
Anyway, to the OP: follow Luke's advice and you won't go wrong!!!!!! He is the professional around here
Old 08-22-2008, 12:35 PM

2004 E320, 2004 Lexus GX470
Wow, your experience goes against the overwhelming majority of MBW posters!
Originally Posted by reserved
LOL.... no, I wasn't kidding!!!!! I have had Hawks, Posiquiets and Axxis on my other cars, all with moderate amounts of dust. I have NEVER had any issues with dust with OEMs on my Mercedes. I just put Axxis Ultimates on my CLK500 (I know you are not a fan of those Luke!) because the Mintex apparently are out of stock right now, and while they have more "bite" than OEMs, they definitely produce a lot more dust.
As an update, my local independent Mercedes mechanic just about said that he'd only install the Porterfields (R4-S) with their (Porterfield) rotors. I'll likely get the Porterfield drilled rotors if anything just to test them out this go around.

Also, I've been searching high and low for a thread I'd seen that describes the prep process for the pads to minimize any likelihood that they'll make noise.

Last edited by topspin4hand; 08-22-2008 at 03:26 PM.