Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Switch back staggard wheel to front - ok?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan
Switch back staggard wheel to front - ok?

Hey guys, I had a general question.

I have a W203 c230 K (2005). It has the staggard wheel setup, with the back 17"'s a little wider than the front. I hit a nasty pothole the other day and got a minor dent on my front rim.

My mechanic took my front wheel and switched it with my back wheel. My ride is a little smoother now with the minor dent in the back.

Is it safe to leave the wheels the way they are, or should I have it switched back. If I can leave them there safely, it would be cheaper to get by without repairing / replacing the rim. I want to buy new rims next April.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55, C63
Originally Posted by reddog093
Hey guys, I had a general question.

I have a W203 c230 K (2005). It has the staggard wheel setup, with the back 17"'s a little wider than the front. I hit a nasty pothole the other day and got a minor dent on my front rim.

My mechanic took my front wheel and switched it with my back wheel. My ride is a little smoother now with the minor dent in the back.

Is it safe to leave the wheels the way they are, or should I have it switched back. If I can leave them there safely, it would be cheaper to get by without repairing / replacing the rim. I want to buy new rims next April.

your wheels are staggered for a reason. YOur car is a rear-wheel drive, which means you would want the wider wheel/tire on your rears.

i really don't know if there are any concerns from long-term use like the set-up you have right now, but cosmetically, it will look weird.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:12 PM

2005 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan
Right. it does throw me off when I look at the car, especially because I know it's there. I'd rather deal with it for 8 months than get a new rim (especially with winter coming in New York/Connecticut). As a tax accountant I won't really be going out much during the winter; however, I will be driving a lot, so I'm more concerned as to any safety issues over the cosmetic issues. I'll be saving up a lot during tax season as well, which means I can put my car in for a batch of upgrades at once (would like to do rims, custom intake & headers for sound)

The car seems to drive fine and I'm sure there's not a problem with fitment. I was mainly curious on the long-term use and if it would lead to any traction issues. Thank you for a response!