Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Wheel shimmy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2003, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 S550 Sport
Wheel shimmy

Well, I was shocked when I got into my car this morning and hit the highway. At 40mph, I noticed a slight shaking in the steering wheel. I thought it was the road, but when it became more intense at 60 and downright disturbing at 70, I realized I had a problem. The vibration seems a bit too intense for loosened wheel weights, so I'm expecting a bent rim. Can't recall when it might have happened. I have the 18" AMG Monoblocks on 255/45's. Does my description sounds like a bent rim? Is it possible to have bent the suspension components? Can anyone tell me how much I should expect to fix a bent rim? I'm probably going to end up getting the car checked out at the dealer, which are essentially 1 month waiting list pilgrimages, so I want to know what to expect and how much the damage is. Thanks for any info.
Old 01-07-2003, 04:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 C36 AMG, 1995 Volvo 850 Turbowagon
sounds like something's amiss. go to a local independent wheel/tire shop or something, even wheel works or a shop tirerack can recommend. get it on the machine, and u can c for urself if it's bent or not. the technician should be able to see if it's simply imbalance or if there's a wobble that's the result of bent rim.

if it is bent rims, since u live in nyc, there's a place in pennsylvannia called Wheel Collision Center (WCC) of Bath, PA or u can visit aaarims of michigan. they both do plenty repairs. if not, u can always go to a local shop for rim repair...

dealer is much too expensive for something like this, a wheel is a wheel is a wheel. i know the sf mb dealer takes their rims and alignment problems to a local indy shop for really hard cases; and they charge extra compared to what u would've paid for the indy shop. only go there if u want service recorded and/or major repairs...my 2 cents..
Old 01-26-2003, 12:36 PM

2007 S550 Sport
Thanks for the help, but my dad insisted on going to the MB dealer to get the shimmy fixed. Surprisingly, my dad brings home the invoice and everytyhing is under warranty. They also ended up replacing basically the whole front suspension... new control arms, sway bar, bushings, air shocks, rebalanced rims and alignment... The list goes on and on... Don't know what happened to the car, but its all new under the front. Damn... now i'm hoping for a rear wheel shimmy...