Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

cracked forged rim

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 05:37 PM
Larry Sonsini

cracked forged rim

Can a cracked forged rim be repaired?

I have a fikse wheel that has a crack on one of its spokes. According to the place where I bought the rim, my options are the following.

1. Buy the last wheel that they have in stock for $1,150 (The wheels are no longer made by fikse)

2. Replace all four with something new.

My question is...do I have the option of repairing the damaged rim? Is there a place in the Bay Area that can repair the rim, or will there be safety issues with such a repair?

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2003, 11:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
W212 E63, Audi R8 4.2, Panamera S, Range Rover Sport GT
Re: cracked forged rim

Originally posted by Larry Sonsini
Can a cracked forged rim be repaired?

I have a fikse wheel that has a crack on one of its spokes. According to the place where I bought the rim, my options are the following.

1. Buy the last wheel that they have in stock for $1,150 (The wheels are no longer made by fikse)

2. Replace all four with something new.

My question is...do I have the option of repairing the damaged rim? Is there a place in the Bay Area that can repair the rim, or will there be safety issues with such a repair?

Thanks!
are these on your CLK?

I'd get the last one they have if you still like the rims.
Old 01-24-2003, 02:40 AM
Larry Sonsini

nope not on the clk...it's for the '95 Tahoe. But thanks for the reply peter.
Old 01-24-2003, 04:10 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would like to learn why forged rims can't be repaired. thanx.
Old 01-24-2003, 07:47 PM

asdf
You can try giving The Wheel Supply a call. They don't actually repair rims themselves, but they give you GOD'S HONEST truth. They'll help you even if you aren't going to do business with them. (909)468-1311. Ask for Sander.
Old 01-26-2003, 03:11 PM
CRB

It is interesting that your wheel broke on one of the forged spokes of the center section. This is strange because the rims are softer rolled material that more often than not gets damaged first.

I just read about thirty different web sites from a "forged alloy wheel repair"
Google search and didn't find anyone saying that they would repair cracked spokes on cast wheel, let alone forged ones. Cracks near the bolts seems to be an absolute "DO NOT REPAIR" situation.

Why won't people repair spokes on forged wheels? More than likely, liability concerns. Spokes on forged wheels are under tremedous loads, because they are so thin. And a weld would be kind of ugly anyway.

May I suggest that you get over to that dealer and buy that last wheel. Consider yourself lucky that he had one for you to buy.
Old 01-27-2003, 03:52 AM

MB SL55, MB S55, Porsche 997.1, BMW M6, BMW X5, Audi B8 S4
Larry,
I would recommend buying the last wheel available. It is unlikely a wheel repair facility would be able to repair the crack and match or better the strength of the original spoke.

The typical repair involves welding the void and working the repaired area. It is very difficult to have a stronger repaired grain structure vs a truly forged grain structure.

The reason why I say "unlikely" vs. impossible regarding repaired strength is because we are comparing the strength of a repaired spoke to your original spoke. A center that was forged in the shape of the center and machined lightly is stronger than one that is made from a large forged billet with heavy machining. Unfortunately, there are wheel manufacturers that make their centers from forged billets with heavy machining and call them forged centers. Technically it is a forged center, but since the material strength properties decrease towards the core, after heavy machining often times the weaker core material is left.

In no way am implying Fikse or any other well known wheel manufacture makes inferior wheels. I actually thought Fikse made strong wheels and am surprised by hearing about your cracked spoke. I'm just sharing what I've learned through the years working with forging houses and machine shops. Did your outers bend? It is a rare occurance to see a forged center crack with no damage to the outers. (Just curious, email me if you don't want to post)

DC

Last edited by DC@neowerkes; 01-27-2003 at 03:55 AM.
Old 01-27-2003, 01:46 PM
Larry Sonsini

Thanks for all the input, and it looks like I will end up getting the last available wheel. I too am surprised that a center spoke would crack without visible damage to the rim...maybe it is bent and I can't see it? In any case, I'll see If I can get some pics up semi-soon soon, as I would like to know how the center could fail.
Old 01-27-2003, 09:39 PM

2003 CLK430 Cabriolet
The wheel place should give you some sort of a discount on that last wheel since you bought the set there and it being the last wheel they have left on a discontinued model. I mean what are they going to do with that one wheel anyway if they can no longer get the complete set.