Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 vs Pilot Primacy HP for W208 (CLK430)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 10:26 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 vs Pilot Primacy HP for W208 (CLK430)

Hello Friends,

I need to replace all 4 PS2 tires on my 2000 W208 (CLK 430). This car originally came with Pilot Sports and I have since put a couple sets of PS2's on them and been pleased.

I have recently become aware of Michelin Pilot Primacy HP tires. Can anyone offer any thoughts with respect to comparing the Primacy HP with the Pilot Sport PS2?

I live in Silicon Valley, CA. Thus, my car is only driven on dry or wet roads, no ice or snow. I do not drive aggressively - my other car is a mini-van

Can anyone here offer some advice with respect to what I should consider between these two tires?

I am looking for a good ride, comparable to the one that my PS2 gives me. The PS2's seem to get noisy mid-life - I'd like something a little less noisy. I do not care about tire life, as I telecommute most of the time and get many years per set of tires.

Thanks for any advice!
Old 03-03-2009, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
I don't know much about the Pilot Primacy; I did just go through a comparison between the Pilot Sport, the MXV4 Primacy, and the Goodyear F1-D3. I'm in Florida, and ice & snow are rare in Tampa.

My dealer noted that the Pilot Sport and the F1s were noisy, especially after about 7000 miles of wear. I had noted the same thing in user reviews. The MXV4 Primacy gives away very little in wet traction and hydroplaning resistance to the summer-only tires, gets very good comfort ratings, and has the ability to be driven in light snow and ice (we never know when we may have to take an emergency trip to family up north). It is also significantly quieter than the others. Given your driving style (much like mine), you may want to consider them. When I replace my tires in the next few months, it will be with the MXV4 Primacy.

The Tire Rack's website provides excellent comparative data.

Last edited by Skylaw; 03-03-2009 at 11:56 AM.