Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Ceramic Pads eliminate brake dust? Pros/cons?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 10:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 GL550
Ceramic Pads eliminate brake dust? Pros/cons?

I saw on an earlier post that changing to Ceramic brake pads eliminate brake dust.

I have a new GL 550 and I am having to clean off brake dust every 2-3 days - it's crazy how quickly it builds up and makes the AMG wheels look so bad.

Does switching to ceramic pads really make this a non-issue? What are the pros/cons of ceramic pads and is this something the dealer can switch out for me?

Any other products anyone recommends to keep the brake dust to a minimum? I've seen other GLs where owners obviously havent kept the brake dust off and their rims looks absolutely horrible (completely black), i.e. beyond being able to be cleaned.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:36 AM

2016 C63S,2013 C63 AMG Coupe, 2002 C32 AMG (gone but not forgotten)
A quality ceramic pad will virtually eliminate brown brake dust.

As the pad material wears, some of the fine light-colored dust gets deposited on your wheels, but it's not very noticeable.

I found ceramics to be slightly quieter than semi-metallic pads, and for me, they've been easier on rotors.

Dealer will probably refuse to switch out your pads to aftermarket, but a good independent shop can swap them out.

Until you transition to ceramics, use a quality detailing spray after drying your wheels and get a long wheel brush to clean the insides.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts
2010 c300
Originally Posted by silver_metallic
A quality ceramic pad will virtually eliminate brown brake dust.

As the pad material wears, some of the fine light-colored dust gets deposited on your wheels, but it's not very noticeable.

I found ceramics to be slightly quieter than semi-metallic pads, and for me, they've been easier on rotors.

Dealer will probably refuse to switch out your pads to aftermarket, but a good independent shop can swap them out.

Until you transition to ceramics, use a quality detailing spray after drying your wheels and get a long wheel brush to clean the insides.
I was told by a tech that ceramic will increase your braking distance. How is the braking on the ceramic compared to stock?
Old 06-13-2009, 07:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
CLK55 AMG, SL55 AMG, C55 AMG
I experienced no noticeable difference in stopping distance when I switched to ceramic pads on my car. I know the OEM pads are a soft compound and they do provide great grip on the rotors, but in driving with my ceramic pads on for almost three months, the only difference I find is they do take longer to bite when cold compared to stock. Once warm, they grip just fine.

Otherwise, the functionality appears about the same, but you get the great perk of no dust to clean on the front wheels, as opposed to the stock pads. Was well worth the swap IMO. The hardest part was finding the correct ceramic pads for my application.

There are numerous other posts on this topic, just use the search forum if you want to find additional info.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:32 AM

All Diesel Fleet !1983 240d stick,2005 E320 CDI Midnight blue, 2005 E320 CDI, Desert Silver, Kubota
Ceramic pads

Just put a set of EBC Red Stuff pads on front and back of my 05 CDI. You still get a little dust, but it is down about 60-80% from Pagid or OEM pads.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:27 AM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
Since they were first used on a few original equipment applications in 1985, friction materials that contain ceramic formulations have become recognized for their desirable blend of traits. These pads use ceramic compounds and copper fibers in place of the semi-metallic pad's steel fibers. This allows the ceramic pads to handle high brake temperatures with less heat fade, provide faster recovery after the stop, and generate less dust and wear on both the pads and rotors. And from a comfort standpoint, ceramic compounds provide much quieter braking because the ceramic compound helps dampen noise by generating a frequency beyond the human hearing range.

Another characteristic that makes ceramic materials attractive is the absence of noticeable dust. All brake pads produce dust as they wear. The ingredients in ceramic compounds produce a light colored dust that is much less noticeable and less likely to stick to the wheels. Consequently, wheels and tires maintain a cleaner appearance longer.

Ceramic pads meet or exceed all original equipment standards for durability, stopping distance and noise. According to durability tests, ceramic compounds extend brake life compared to most other semi-metallic and organic materials and outlast other premium pad materials by a significant margin - with no sacrifice in noise control, pad life or braking performance.

This is quite an improvement over organic and semi-metallic brake materials that typically sacrifice pad life to reduce noise, or vice versa.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06 CLK350 -SOLD! 2010 Cadillac SRX Premium Turbo
Bought Akebono ceramic pads front and rear from Luke a few weeks ago and will never go back to OEM. No horror stories here about squeal, performance etc... Dust? What dust...