Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

CLEARCOAT REMOVAL FROM RIMS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W107, S500
Smile CLEARCOAT REMOVAL FROM RIMS

Hi, new to this forum, but was searching for clues on removing clearcoat from rims, both here and on the Net. There is a decided lack of information other than to use aircraft paint stripper and to a lesser extent wet and dry to sand off clearcoat, with the resultant scratches in the alloy. I have just stripped the clearcoated lips on a set of A.M.G. mag wheels. The clearcoat was perfect on 3 rims with a small patch of peeling on the fourth - hence the removal of the clearcoat.

What I have found is CRC Brand Gasket Stripper removed the clearcoat in basically two applications. I would assume any other brand of Gasket Stripper would work as this stuff is evil. It will burn skin and it is caustic, however no noticable fumes. It will remove paint!!!! The 1st application removed 80% and the second application was to remove the remainder. I used a small artists paint brush and a small glass jar (it will eat plastic containers no doubt) to which I sprayed the gasket remover into and applied with the brush. - Dab it on as opposed to painting so it has some body to eat into the clearcoat. It will bubble almost immediately and after about 5 minutes wipes off with a wet cloth and water.

The brush ensures you don't remove any paint you wish to remain on the rim and no chance of overspray on bodywork. An important note. Shake Can well and repeat during discharge. Ensure the rims are free of wax and grease and do not apply in direct sunlight. For some reason it just does not work if the rims are sitting in the sun! Wash off with a bucket of water and a clean piece of towel, the towel assists in being coarse enough when wrung out to rub off the clearcoat and not mark the alloy lip.

Finally hose off the rims, dry and Polish with Autosol and finish with a clear Carnuba wax to prevent oxidation and water marks. Hope this of some help to those that need this advice, it does work and its clean and simple.