Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Vibration when brakes applied after sitting in snow of 2weeks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W208
Vibration when brakes applied after sitting in snow of 2weeks

After dealing with the heavy snow storms here in D.C. metro, my cars been sitting, covered under the snow for more than a week and finally, I drove the car yesterday morning when I noticed a vibration coming from the passenger front wheel/tire(I think) when applied brakes going over 40+ miles but no vibration when I applied brakes going from 15MPH+ to dead stop.

No vibration at any speed when brakes are not applied. I feel no vibrations from the seats or steering wheel but from the front passenger wheel/tire when brakes are applied going over 40+ MPH to maybe 15MPH going to a stop. I drove a total of maybe 20 highway miles from yester until this morning with couple steady brakes exiting off the ramp from 60-65MPH to 20-10MPH but I guess this steady braking didn't clean the rotors??

No issues at all before the snow storm!! Do you think the cold weather/snow has done something to the car or is this what people say, "warped rotors" Will it go away or should I be concerned?? Thanks for all you help guys.

Last edited by W2O8TC; 02-17-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:37 PM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
10 speed bicycle
When you were getting it out of the snow, did you spin your tires alot??
Old 02-17-2010, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GLK350, 2010 ML350, 2008 C63 AMG
rusted rotors maybe?
Old 02-19-2010, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...a panty dropper...
Does the steering wheel vibrate or the brake pedal when you hit the brakes? If your brake pedal vibrates its your rear rotors and if your steering wheel does then its your front rotors. I am going to guess from sitting in the cold snow for 2 weeks and then driving it and having the rotors heat up quickly they warped.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:35 PM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
10 speed bicycle
What usually happens, and I have seen this quite frequent in the snow, is when you sit there spinning your wheels in the snow the rear brakes apply alternately to kind of create somewhat of a limited slip. This action is what is known as ASR(anti slip regulation) it is a function within ESP, and remains active even after you have selected ESP off.

So when you are sitting spinning the wheels in the snow, you are cooking your rear rotors. The only way to shut off ASR is by placing the vehicle in dyno mode.

If this is your case, you might as well order some rear rotors.