Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Need some wheel advice! Cheap cost, Cheaply made, and Expensive wheels?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 02:47 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
06 CLS55 & 2011 G55
Need some wheel advice! Cheap cost, Cheaply made, and Expensive wheels?

I have been looking for wheels for my CLS 55 AMG. I just got the car and i want to replace the stock AMGs.

The wheels i really like are the Radenergie R5, of course they cost $6K. This is out of my budget right now. Im looking at $2000 to $2500.

I have been asking around and i found these wheels that look a lot like them EXE Konvex. There are also some Cadwell TSWs?

Now in asking around i have heard a bunch of conflicting information. So i am looking to you guys for some advice.

First i was told you cant put cheap EXE wheels on a MB but there seem to be a lot out there and i confirmed with multiple places they do fit fine.

I was told that the EXE are way to heavy and will make my car preform poorly. But with some online research i can find the EXEs weigh 3lbs less on the back wheels than the stock AMG wheels? And that is a 20" x 10 vs the stock 19" x 9.5!?

Also big dollar wheels like Brabus are 8 lbs more that the EXEs? Seems some of the really high dollar wheels are heavy.

I was also told the EXE are poorly made and will bend/crack and so on. But the AMGs seem to crack on everyone on this forum. The Randergies seem to have rivit problems and all the high end rims seem to have people on here saying they crack, bend, and such.

So my question is other than looks and name brand whats the big difference? They dont seem that heavy, seems all rims bend or crack if you drive them that way. And if so why would i want to replace the high dollar ones over the cheap ones when they do crack?

The only other difference i see is that i can get the high dollar ones in 11" back and the cheap ones only in 10" wide. 11" is cool but 10 is still pretty wide.

Are people just rim snobs? im totally ok with that if i had 10k id buy some fancy ones too. Maybe some day but for now i just wanted some cool looking rims that will not mess up my cars performance.

I been looking at used ones and some people have been telling me im nuts to buy a 5k set of rims that are used cause of the problems with cracks, bends, and being out of alinement. I also want to powder coat them and hear that used rims are harder to get coated due to chips or scratches in the surface.

So am i nuts for getting EXEs or used high dollar rims? Should i just keep my stocks and buy a piggy bank?

Thanks in advance.

scotty
Old 05-06-2010, 10:13 PM

06 CLS55 & 2011 G55
Wow no one has an opinion or an advice?
Old 05-08-2010, 12:20 PM
asg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 S600
I would beware of anyone's used wheels. Unless you can be sure where they came from and that they have not been repaired.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:22 AM

2005 SL500, 2000 S430, 1999 C2, 1995 E300D
I think you've offended all the rim snobs. They're all pouting and silent.
I'm a rim ignoramus, driving around in my stock rims...so maybe even worse. Lol
Old 05-10-2010, 01:40 PM

06 CLS55 & 2011 G55
I think so i got some nasty responses. Funny thing is im finding a lot of really good deals on all those fancy wheels that people are selling since they are returning leases or just cant afford their cars anymore. Good for me Bad for them i guess.
Hope the rim snobs will not look down on me too much if i get expensive rims for cheap.

My 1st choice is some radenergie r5's if any of the rim gods or snobs got any deals going.

If not some Mayas.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:46 PM

The Radenergie R-5's, either silvers or blacks, would be just plain awesome on your SL. But whether it's worth your $6k or even $2K would really depend on your priorities. I have too many other things I want for my $$$. If I ended up buying rims it would likely be reps, or used, or I'll even consider even used reps.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:40 PM

2006 CLS55 AMG
A lot of people assume that an expensive wheel means it is a better wheel. That just isn't necessarily true. Most wheels today are sold by how shiny they are how large the lip of the wheel is, or brand name, just like clothes, jewelry, watches, etc.

The usual reason a wheel will cost more is weight. Lighter wheels cost more money. To save weight they use stronger materials and have higher manufacturing costs. 3 pieces wheels are ususally the lightest and most expensive. Forged aluminum centers that are CNC machined. Then forged rim halfs that are bolted together. One of the best examples is Fikse or HRE. Fikse went belly up because people wanted more bling, rather then the usual measures of quality.

I have seen Fikse, HRE and cheap knock off wheels crack. Enough impacts or use can damage any wheel.

Get a wheel that you like and can afford. That is what matters.

G
Old 05-20-2010, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by ibjamin
Get a wheel that you like and can afford. That is what matters.

G
Great idea there, ibjamin! Get what you like and can afford, just like choosing your house, cars, boats, watches, and ....wife
Old 05-21-2010, 03:52 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
what determines quality?

Manufacturing Process

Manufacturing processes and levels of testing are critical to a wheel's structural integrity. (Read more in "Wheel Construction.") International quality standards such as ISO9001, QS9000, TUV of Germany or VIA of Japan, establish important production and quality standards that manufacturers must follow. In addition, dimensional tolerances based on strict, Original Equipment market standards versus the more "casual" standards allowed for many aftermarket products should be met. Even durability standards for finish are different between the Original Equipment market and the aftermarket.

Proper Fit

An accurate fitment is the difference between good, better and best. Critical wheel dimensions such as width, diameter, offset, center bore, brake clearance, as well as load factor and lug hardware are the basics when it comes to properly fitting aftermarket wheels. Installation also requires a high level of sophistication. Many new vehicles are available with features such as ABS, traction control and other features that create a more difficult environment for installing aftermarket wheels. Stability control systems, run-flat tires, large high performance brake systems and staggered wheel and tire sizes are also factors to be considered when establishing accurate fitments. Wheel manufacturers with product design, research and development teams work to determine proper fitment as part of the manufacturing process.

Protective Finish

The type and quality of protective finish on your wheel (as well as proper maintenance) will determine how your wheels look years from now. Check for finish warranties backed by manufacturers with outstanding reputations for quality.

Reputation and Heritage

The reputation of a manufacturer is a strong indicator of quality since it is quality upon which a distinguished reputation is built. It takes time to build a positive reputation and a commitment to maintain it is important. And know a wheel company's roots. Many wheel manufacturers first established themselves in the motorsports arena and apply that technological and philosophical foundation to their production of wheels for use on the street.

Country of Origin

Certain areas of the world bring to mind certain products and characteristics. For example, Germany is at the top in automotive technology and precision. Italy is the front-runner in design and exotic cars. Know where your wheels are manufactured.

and yes AMG wheels are heavy which is by design ....

in the end you are the one that has to drive the car