Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Porterfield Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2001, 02:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Porterfield Brake Pads

Have any of you tried Porterfield brake pads? How's their smoothness, stopping power, and rotor wear compared to factory pads? Are they as virtually dust free as they advertise?
Old 11-18-2001, 02:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd like to know the answers to those questions, too. I checked their web site today, and they don't seem to have front pads for W203's yet.
Old 11-18-2001, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'99 SLK230
Porterfields.........

I've had my Porterfields for 50,000 miles (1 set ) and couldn't be happier. Stopping power is slightly improved but the biggest benifit is indeed dustlessness. I drive 25 miles one way (50 round trip) to work. If I washed my car at lunch, with OEM pads, my wheels would be visibly dusted by the time I got home.

With the Porterfields I can go a full week with no visible dust. Barring rain, my wheels look great. Because the pads are carbon kevlar, the dust isn't nearly as corrosive as the OEM either.

I suggest you get them thru:

My Roadster

.....If the pads you want don't exist yet (which I doubt), Jerry will explain how to go about getting some made. His prices are better than Porterfield direct and his service is exellent.

[ edit ]

Oops, just reread your post and forgot to answer all you questions. If your question about smoothness pertains to them felling "grippy" like a race pad or having to "heat up" like some others do, Porterfields do not exhibit either one of these properties. They are rotor friendly. I have the same 50,000 miles on my rotors.

Last edited by Kühl Carbon; 11-18-2001 at 09:14 AM.
Old 11-18-2001, 01:05 PM

2000 Clk 430
I just put the Porterfield race pads (R-4's) on my CLK for a track event. They worked great. Even the race pads had very little dust and I almost wore them out in one weekend. Jerry at Myroadster.net ordered them for me and busted his butt getting them to me on time. I recomend him for Porterfields. Good luck.
Old 11-19-2001, 11:44 AM
Out Of Control!

This sounds great!! Virtually dust free brake pads?? I think this is the answer to that dirty OEM brake pads i've been waiting for!

Thanks guys!
Old 11-21-2001, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The dealer says aftermarket pads squeal. Do the Porterfields do that? and does anyone know when they'll have them for the C-Coupe? When I asked Porterfield directly they said no for now. I hope they have them before the MB pads wear out.
Old 11-26-2001, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Since I can't get the prefered Axxis or Porterfield pads that everyone writes about, I searched for what is available for the W203 C-class. I can get the Mintex Pads for $34.50 or the Pagid brand for $49.90. They both are made in Europe and claim to generate low amounts of dust and be rotor friendly. These must be larger companies that are able to make the special backing plates that Porterfield can't make. Any personal experiences out there with these pads?

http://www.pagidusa.com/
http://www.mintex.co.uk/
Old 11-26-2001, 01:47 PM
Out Of Control!

I've heard of Pagid brands and i think Eurosportiff from Benzsport.com uses them.
Old 11-26-2001, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I used Mintex pads in the '70's and '80's on my Opel Manta. The car was used on street and autocrossed. We used a road course with a few slaloms and gates. Length of the course was about 1.5 miles. I could do over 60mph in two places. The pads worked well with no fade on back to back to back runs. They worked vey well for the 'spirited' street driving I did back then. The pads didn't squeal, and there wasn't much dust. They didn't have any effect on rotor wear. I was very happy with them.
Old 11-26-2001, 05:30 PM
Out Of Control!

How much do these pads costs?
Old 11-27-2001, 01:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The prices for the Pagid and Mintex pads are above in my previous reply.

Searching around I came across another brand that fits the C class. The EBC Green Stuff pads. They are kevlar like the Porterfields, claim to be dust free, quiet (will give full refund if they squeal), have a very high co-efficient of friction and are rotor friendly. The downside is they are soft and last about the same as the OEM pads or 10-20k miles. They cost $79 at tirerack.com.

http://www.ebc-brakes.com/autopads.htm

Anyone have experience with these pads?
Old 12-01-2001, 02:33 AM
Out Of Control!!

My porterfields squeal so loud that truckers get envious of me. Ever since I've had them, I completely regret them. This problem should be fixed when I get the time to have my rotors polished. But for now, it's embarrasing.
Old 12-01-2001, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
W212 E63, Audi R8 4.2, Panamera S, Range Rover Sport GT
I use the Mintex pads from Bekkers and they are great...not much squeal, but definitely low dust and good stopping power. I don't do much performance driving in a 320 so I didn't need race pads, but the low dust factor is great.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:19 AM

w203
Anyone know if these EBC pads have the hole to support the wear sensor (w203)? Pep Boys has them for $49.

Originally Posted by Buellwinkle
The prices for the Pagid and Mintex pads are above in my previous reply.

Searching around I came across another brand that fits the C class. The EBC Green Stuff pads. They are kevlar like the Porterfields, claim to be dust free, quiet (will give full refund if they squeal), have a very high co-efficient of friction and are rotor friendly. The downside is they are soft and last about the same as the OEM pads or 10-20k miles. They cost $79 at tirerack.com.

http://www.ebc-brakes.com/autopads.htm

Anyone have experience with these pads?
Old 08-03-2004, 11:30 AM

2008 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by Lynn
I used Mintex pads in the '70's and '80's on my Opel Manta. The car was used on street and autocrossed. We used a road course with a few slaloms and gates. Length of the course was about 1.5 miles. I could do over 60mph in two places. The pads worked well with no fade on back to back to back runs. They worked vey well for the 'spirited' street driving I did back then. The pads didn't squeal, and there wasn't much dust. They didn't have any effect on rotor wear. I was very happy with them.
An Opel Manta! Cool. My first car was a used `74 Opel Manta. Had over 98,000 miles by time I got rid of it.