Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Calling Scorchie

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 03:23 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
190E 2.6
Calling Scorchie

Scorchie:

You replied to a post of mine recently regarding C43 springs being used on a 190E --I was planning on picking up a set of C43 springs.

A couple of questions: How sure are you that they fit the 190E? Feedback I am getting is that the diameter of the front springs will not fit the grove on the control arm where the springs sits. Is this true?

Thanks,
Old 05-22-2003, 02:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
That MAY be true, but it seems unlikely.

The reason is that the W201 and W202 use the same rubber spring shims (although the C43 had the W210 parts... you can still use W201 parts if you're using a tapered end spring).

Now, although the rubber will "give" to a certain extent to accomodate different diameter spring wire, it can't be TOO different because the shim must fit in the spring cup.

I am installing springs in a 190E 2.6 in the next couple of days (probably tomorrow night). Can check the diameter of the springs that come out (OEM sportline) and compare them to my OEM C43 springs. I'll also take a look at the indentation in the control arm (the spring "seat" to see how it looks. Generally, it is just an indentation, it doesn't completely cradle the spring, so I believe unless there is a gross variance in the spring wire diameter, it will still work.

-s-
Old 05-22-2003, 05:57 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
190E 2.6
Originally posted by scorchie
That MAY be true, but it seems unlikely.

The reason is that the W201 and W202 use the same rubber spring shims (although the C43 had the W210 parts... you can still use W201 parts if you're using a tapered end spring).

Now, although the rubber will "give" to a certain extent to accomodate different diameter spring wire, it can't be TOO different because the shim must fit in the spring cup.

I am installing springs in a 190E 2.6 in the next couple of days (probably tomorrow night). Can check the diameter of the springs that come out (OEM sportline) and compare them to my OEM C43 springs. I'll also take a look at the indentation in the control arm (the spring "seat" to see how it looks. Generally, it is just an indentation, it doesn't completely cradle the spring, so I believe unless there is a gross variance in the spring wire diameter, it will still work.

-s-
Scorchie:

Thanks for responding. Cool to hear your thoughts. I am hoping this will work. It has been a real ordeal trying to find "good" springs to fit this ride --a pain but its all good.

Denlasoul --forum member selling the springs, told me that the diameter for both the rear and the front was around 4 inches. Please see if the C43's spings are 4 inches in diameter and let me know.

The forum member on 190revolution.net was not sure if they did not work. He was told this by someone else who had tried to do this but he was not sure. I am hoping that they do work --time to get this ride hooked up with these springs and some Bils sport shocks/struts.

Moving on, is that 190E/2.6 that you are going to work on yours? Check out the 190Revolution.net site. What other mods do you have on this ride? What are you replacing those OEM sportline with? And why?

Thanks,
Old 05-22-2003, 06:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Oh, I thought you were referring to the actual diameter of the spring wire, not the diameter of the spring itself, and that the wire itself was too thick to fit in the groove in the control arm.

I can tell you with certainty that the springs from a W201 and a W202 are the same overall diameter (4"). Again, the spring shims used in both chassis are the same. Front and rear. This goes for: most W124, W201, W202, W208, W210, R170 chassis.

The car I'll be working on is not mine... it's a fine example of a 1993 Sportline 190E 2.6. I myself have 1987 2.6, but it's a "daily driver" with nothing special (yet)!

Post pics when you're done.

-s-