Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

TIRE RACK: P Zero Nero's vs. Michelins

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 01:09 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E350 Coupe
TIRE RACK: P Zero Nero's vs. Michelins

Tire God:

Last year I test drove a 2010 E350 Coupe equipped with P Zero Nero’s as part of the Appearance Package with 18” rims. IMO the ride quality was unduly harsh and the car seemed to want to wander on some - not all - road surfaces.

I see that during the 2011 model run, MB seems to have dropped the P Zero Nero’s, and is equipping the 18” Appearance Package rims with Michelin Primacy MXV4’s instead.

I am about to order a 2012 E350 Coupe. If MB equips it with the Michelins, any hope that it rides a bit softer than the P Zero Nero’s and may also provide more consistent tracking - less wandering?

I’m sure the Appearance Package’s sport suspension contributes to the stiffer ride too, but wasn’t sure how much of the harshness is the suspension and how much was the tires.

Your expert opinion would be much appreciated.

Thank you Luke.

Al
Old 06-06-2011, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Mercedes-Benz E350 4matic
Michelin's Primacy MXV4's are one of the best tires in their line-up. I'd probably go as far as saying that there is only one other tire that is better than the MXV4's that being the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S plus. If you look at the ratings on Tire Rack MXV4's get very good ratings, especially in harshness, quietness and tread life as well as snow performance. It should be a step up from the Pirelli's(never a fan of theirs).
Old 06-06-2011, 02:24 PM

2012 E350 Coupe
Many thanks for your opinion King.

I myself have never met a Michelin tire I didn't like. There are those folks who swear by the P Zero Neros though and I just wasn't sure.

I was truly shocked by the quality of the E350 coupe ride with the Neros, as I've posted in other threads here. The demo car had been sitting a while, the tires were cool. For the first few minutes I was actually experiencing old fashioned annoying tire thump, where they had apparently taken a set. After that, the car felt like it had a "concrete" suspension at times and I often had to correct the steering on some road surfaces.

I was so displeased, I was considering just going with the stock 17" rims and tires. Couldn't bring myself to do that though, when seeing the coupe with those nice 18" AMG rims with the Appearance Package.

I guess those looks are what MB counts on to overcome buyer unhappiness with the less than stellar ride.

Not sure what MB is shipping with the 2012's, but hope to find out soon enough.

Thanks again.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:26 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
There are many things to consider when comparing tires on a new car in the manner in which you are using.

#1.) many times the pressures are not set correctly which has a direct effect on ride quality and straight line stability.

#2.) you are not familiar with the car so, it's hard to tell what's the tire and what's the car

#3.) many times cars that sit around have less than optimal suspension component lubrication which can also lead to ride stiffness

now onto the tires in question,

In general the Michelin product will offer better ride quality but, less performance and bad weather grip.

Pirelli performance tires have been known to be harsh and somewhat noisy compared to some others in the same performance category.

The Michelin mentioned is grand touring tire which by design lacks the steering response and handling ability of a summer performance tire.

The comparison being made is similar to comparing a pair of slippers to a pair of athletic shoes. Yes they both cover your feet but, they offer completely different benefits and characteristics.

are apples better than oranges?

The 'appearance package' is just that an appearance package with the same suspension components, spring rats and damper valving so, there are no variable there. That is unless Mercedes has changed things for 2011.

In the end the Michelin Grand tourer will offer noticeably better ride quality than any performance tire including the Pirelli you mentioned. Truth be known the Michelin Primacy MXV4 will offer better ride quality than most tires in the grand touring class as well.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:49 PM

2012 E350 Coupe
Thank you for your expertise. Just what I was looking for.

If MB continues to ship with those Primacy MXV4's in 2012, it's interesting that they would now decide to switch to putting slippers on this car that advertises an "Agility Control Sport Suspension" (included with the Appearance Package on the V6 - not the same suspension without the package), instead of the better-responding Pirelli athletic shoes (great analogy, BTW!). The V8 gets the sport suspension with or without that package. Maybe they had too many complaints like mine about the ride. Or maybe Michelin just slipped them a better deal.

Anyway, I think you've told me what I wanted to hear. And I do realize the Pirelli's would have better steering response and handling.

What would you recommend from Tire Rack for a good winter M/S tire for the E350 Coupe with 18" rims and a fairly decent ride? When I did a quick check on Tire Rack's website a while back, I didn't see many M/S options in the widths needed.

BTW, Tire Rack's website research resources for consumers is top notch, as I imagine you hear all the time. Will definitely order tires in the future from TR.

Thanks again.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:16 AM
TR Moderator & Tire God

depends on the weather
there are several good choices ... the Primacy MXV4 would be high on the list as would the Pilot Sport AS+ which s also from Michelin.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:25 PM

2012 E350 Coupe
Again my thanks Luke for the quick response. I'll spend more time on the T-R website nailing down the facts.

Guess "nailing down" is not the best terminology when speaking of tires.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:53 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

depends on the weather
good point ...