Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Michelin Piolet Super sport Question?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 10:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 E550 Cab
Michelin Piolet Super sport Question?

Going to install a set of Michelin piolet super sports on my '12 550 cab.
I know they have an marked inside and outside but are they directional? Do I need to watch the direction of rotation or will either rear set or front set fit on either side of the car. I see no arrows or indicator that would give me an indicatiion as to which side a particular tire might or might not belong.

tnx
Old 12-17-2011, 06:36 AM
Administrator

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
I can't tell you about the Piolet. That must be specific to your region. But a tire marked inside/outside means exactly that. They are rotatable.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'12 E550C, Sierra Denali
Originally Posted by Raygt3
Going to install a set of Michelin piolet super sports on my '12 550 cab.
I know they have an marked inside and outside but are they directional? Do I need to watch the direction of rotation or will either rear set or front set fit on either side of the car. I see no arrows or indicator that would give me an indicatiion as to which side a particular tire might or might not belong.

tnx
Ray-
If you get these, please report your results. I'm considering them too.
Thanks
Due
Old 12-17-2011, 06:35 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Car free at the moment
I have the PSS on my E55. I am pretty sure it is not directional - the tread pattern does not look like it, at any rate. Don't have the car handy at the moment, so I can't go check the sidewall.

What I can tell you is they are typical Michelins. Extremely smooth at speed. Great grip and turn in. OK in wet weather, as far as I can tell. They do have an extremely stiff sidewall and the ride is noticably stiffer than many other tires. And of course being a summer tire they will render the car undriveable in anything resembling snow or ice.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 E550 Cab
Have lots of experience with PS2's, GT3. A big suprise to me was how good they were in the wet and not just damp but standing water wet. The tread pattern is similar so I would hope the wet performance to be as good or better. As to snow or ice well here in Buffalo I have no worries like that, just don't drive it till spring. Actually I changed the tires as a result of the 3 piece HRE's not fitting in the 18" size, so I had to go to 19" and new tires. I need a home for the OE Pirelli's, 10 mi. if anyone is interested. Apparently the reversed style wheels don't clear the front calipers, who new? A real suprise to me & HRE but they were very good on getting me another larger set. Can't really say anythig bad about HRE as their response was terrific. Haven't put the 19's on the car yet maybe tomorrow if it warms up a bit.