Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Rim Restoration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL55 AMG
Rim Restoration

Worked on my Renntech Mololites this weekend (before and after below). Believe or not the first pic is after washing the rim. I ended up sanding the outer rim with 220 grit followed by 2000 grit and then polished with ShineSeal from True Forged Wheels. Obviously they still need some work, but they are 100% better. Guess the previous owner didn't car much about the rims for some reason.

I'd really like to have these refinished professionally. Also, the two rims on the passenger side are bent pretty bad. Can anyone recommend a rim restoration shop?

Also, does anyone know where to pick up some new center caps?

Old 04-23-2012, 12:17 AM

2010 GLK350
Hello Matler23,
Rims Werks in Boiling Springs, SC USA where I live refinished a set of 4 Fitipaldi (sp?) Wheels for me a few years ago when I was restoring a 1987 Toyota MR2 that my Son had given back to me after I bought it new for him in '87 as a gift before he left for College. They shaved a few thousands of an inch where they had "pitted" due to it having to sit outside at Clemson University and then Clear Coated them. At the time, their price was unbelievably reasonable but that was about 10 years ago and the Shop has been sold and I have no idea how their pricing is today but I understand that a friend of mine named Jeff Moss is the one who purchased it. Although my Business is only 1/4 mile away, I haven't seen him in a while. When they did mine under the previous owner, they were receiving wheels from all over the Country and some of them had complete sections broken out of them and they could still repair. Rims Werks TN is 864-599-5176. Based on your pictures, I'm sure he could give you a price over the phone.
Good Luck!

ErnieSC
Old 04-23-2012, 09:52 PM

2003 SL55 AMG
Thanks ErnieSC. I will give them a call.

Originally Posted by ErnieSC
Hello Matler23,
Rims Werks in Boiling Springs, SC USA where I live refinished a set of 4 Fitipaldi (sp?) Wheels for me a few years ago when I was restoring a 1987 Toyota MR2 that my Son had given back to me after I bought it new for him in '87 as a gift before he left for College. They shaved a few thousands of an inch where they had "pitted" due to it having to sit outside at Clemson University and then Clear Coated them. At the time, their price was unbelievably reasonable but that was about 10 years ago and the Shop has been sold and I have no idea how their pricing is today but I understand that a friend of mine named Jeff Moss is the one who purchased it. Although my Business is only 1/4 mile away, I haven't seen him in a while. When they did mine under the previous owner, they were receiving wheels from all over the Country and some of them had complete sections broken out of them and they could still repair. Rims Werks TN is 864-599-5176. Based on your pictures, I'm sure he could give you a price over the phone.
Good Luck!

ErnieSC