Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Toyo Proxes 4 Plus vs. Michelin Primacy MXM4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyo Proxes 4 Plus vs. Michelin Primacy MXM4

Hello all,

I have a C350 that I often drive spiritedly -- but like to be quiet as well.

Was happier than many with the OEM 17-inch Continental Pro Contacts (lasted 13.5k miles, 2 years), but the Michelin Pilot Sport AS Plus with which I replaced the Contis were very, very good -- at the cost, to my taste, of a bit too much road noise and a bit too harsh a ride. After 15k miles and 2 years, though, the AS+ were close to the limit.

Last month, I debated for several days whether to go for the Michelin Primacy MXM4 or the new Toyo Proxes 4+ that my (trustworthy and generally well informed) local tire dealer recommended.

I ended up going for the Toyos. They are wonderfully quiet and supple, but this newly found comfort comes at the cost of what feels like sidewall flex. In particular, predictability in fast corners does not seem great -- especially on the wet.

Given the 45-day return warranty on the Toyos, I am now considering exchanging them for the Michelins. The problem, now as then, is that I have seen no reviews of the Toyos -- let alone a comparison. The TireRack, whose web site I read avidly and from whom I have bought tires in the past, has no info on the Toyos.

Thoughts?

Last edited by ayilar; 10-03-2012 at 12:42 AM.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:43 PM

Update

Still very few reviews out there, so thought I'd provide more info on my experience.

Decided to keep them.

The tires are great in the dry. As incisive as the Michelins they replaced. Slightly different feel but, now that I am accustomed to them and they have been "broken in", I can drive as fast and as securely as with the Michelins.

Confirming the impressive improvement in noise level. Really, really good so far.

Will update as the weather turns wetter and colder.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:43 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

n/a
One thing I could say for a comparison between the two would be that you're comparing different types of tires. Mainly, the Michelin Primacy MXM4 is a grand touring tire and the Toyo is an all season UHP tire. I've heard the same thing about the sidewall feeling on the Toyo's from some of our customers. But like you, they all agree the tires feel better after putting a few miles on them. As far as the Michelins, we've had numerous customers who have run the Pilot MXM4 and all agree the Primacy MXM4 is much quieter and handles better. Bottom line, (and only comparing these two tires) if you DRIVE your car, you're better off with the Toyo's. If you're car is a daily driver with the occasional blast down the interstate, go with the Michelins. Hope this was helpful.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Tread Depot
Hope this was helpful.
Very much so, thank you.

Any comments on your customers' experiences on the wet and snow would be highly welcome.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:10 PM

One year update

Well, after a year and about 9k miles on the tires, I must conclude that one gets what one pays for. They are good tires, but the compromises are obvious:

the good: quiet and comfortable. No question, they beat the Michelin AS+ that I had on the car before.

the OK: handling on dry highways (warm or cold) is just fine, though the precision is not great in the twisties.

the bad: rain and snow handling.
--> rain: From the get go, I have not found the Proxes 4+ confidence-inspiring in the rain. In light rain, they are OK -- unlike when it really starts raining. Forget about downpours -- I aquaplaned twice. I have logged many thousand hours behind the wheel, and this has never happened to me before; it happened twice with those tires. Both the Contis and the Michelins were MUCH better in the rain.
--> snow: drove the car on Midwestern highways through much of last Winter, and the tires were fine on cleared roads. Flat terrain and new tires, so they were OK even on small amounts of snow. Fast forward to the snow in the mid-Atlantic this past week, and the tires have been a joke even though the roads were covered at most by an inch of snow. Spinning is way too easy, braking is subpar. All season? Not in my book -- at least not when the tires have a bit of mileage and there are hills.

Bottom line: once I see reviews for how the new Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 behaves in the snow, I will most likely get rid of the Toyos and replace them with a set of Michelins.

YMMV

Last edited by ayilar; 12-10-2013 at 08:12 PM.