Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Need some brain cells to think through R-class tires on a new GL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 04:14 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 S350, 2021 GLS450
Need some brain cells to think through R-class tires on a new GL

For some reason my brain cells went on vacation when I had a kid and I can't think through the tire conversion equations. I'm hoping folks can help out.

The situation is I have a set of Winter tires from my 2011 R-Class in size 255/50-19 RunFlat, they have about 6k miles on them. I traded in the R-Class and tried to sell the tires on Craiglist but got no takers. So I'm wondering if I can use them next Winter on my 2013 GL450 which has tire size 275/55-19.

If I remember correctly, that means the R-Class tires will cause a 23.75 mm lower ride height. The Miata Tire calc says the speedometer will be reading 6.1% too fast, i.e. the speedometer will read 60 mph when the GL is actually going 56.4 mph.

On first thought, a speedo that reads too high is ok, since it will slow my wife down. But a ~1 inch difference in ride height is big and I'm wondering how much it will throw off the electronic traction control and other assists.