Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

wheel balancing / shake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C320 Elegance
wheel balancing / shake

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 11:32 pm Post subject: Steering Wheel Shake / balancing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi

I have a 2000 model C320. When I get to around 60 mph up to 70 there is a shake coming through the steering wheel. I had the front wheels re-balanced and since then, I have had the back ones checked as well and it did seem to help. I then had 2 new tyres fitted to the front, which were of course balanced at the time but I am still experiencing a shake through the wheel at the above speeds.
Above and below these speeds it is unoticble ( as far as I can tell ) , but it ruins the feel of the car. It is also more noticible when you are carrying passengers.

I was going to get the front wheels re-balanced ( not a the same garage that fitted the new tyres ) to get them checked but if this fails, does anyone have any idea what else could be causing this. Also,when I brake there is no vibration, shake, pulling etc.. from normal braking, so that is OK !

UPDATE : Front wheels have been re-balanced, much better but ther is still a noticble shake at 0 - 65 mph. Any ideas !!

Thanks

Jason
Old 09-01-2003, 09:38 PM

asdf
when you got your wheels rebalanced, did they notice if your rim was bent? maybe you should slap on another set of wheels before going any further to see if it is in fact your WHEELS that are causing the vibration or if it is your suspension.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
!

wow pretty scary i just had the same exact problem... its your rims...theyre bent. with the balancing itll help but ultimately itll never be perfect cuz your rims are bent. you have to get them fixed or better yet, buy new wheels.
Old 09-14-2003, 12:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Late Built 2005 W-211 E-320 CDI
Cool

Is there a Hunter GSP 9700 balancing system available over yonder?

See: http://128.242.141.111/pub/features/how.cfm

Get yee to a shop that has this system, and if the tech is worth his salt, your problem will be found and it is correctible.

End of story. Good luck.

Please keep us posted.

Old 09-14-2003, 03:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 C36 AMG, 1995 Volvo 850 Turbowagon
one of them hunter machines should be able to tell u if it's bent or not... usually weight clips allow for easier balancing...but it's ugly, and on machined lip rims or deep dish lips, sticky weights are used...and are harder to balance with... that was what two diff shops have told me...
Old 09-14-2003, 08:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
3 Porsche rotation
My E55 had the same problem. My right front wheel was slightly bent and my car would vibrate pass 70 MPH. Rebalanced by the dealer, it helped and the car runs smooth now. But I will buy a new wheel when I change my tires next year.

John