Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Do different shocks affect the ride height?????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 01:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
98 W210 Advantgarde
Do different shocks affect the ride height?????

I have Eibach springs on stock shocks and the front seems to be higher than the rear. Another forum member with the same W210 also had the same thing when he installed Eibach springs only, whilst another had the entire Pro-kit installed and it looked just right. My mechanic has been telling me that it just looks higher in the front and that the car is actually level. But when its about time to change shocks, he tells me that I will get approx. 3/4" lower in the front by installing matching Eibach/Sach shocks !

Can anyone please confirm whether this is true before I pay a premium on Eibachs ??????
Old 12-07-2003, 02:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Springs affect ride height, not shocks. Shocks control the rebound rate of the spring.
Old 12-07-2003, 03:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 C36 AMG, 1995 Volvo 850 Turbowagon
no...shocks generally don't...however...some have noticed that bilstein's high-pressure gas system in the monotubes do produce a slight raise in height...

have u tried using a different set of spring pads?
Old 12-07-2003, 04:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Yep, used the lowest possible on the front and left the rears stock - still looks high. I was always of the impression that springs are the determinant of height but now I'm confused.

I'm glad someone mentioned Bilsteins may raise the height cos I was about to get some as I need to wait another month for the Eibachs. Someone told me today that apparently Eibach has been making springs that tend to be higher in the front - dunno maybe they change the fit on their shocks to comensate for the longer springs.......

Thanks guys.
Old 12-07-2003, 04:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 C36 AMG, 1995 Volvo 850 Turbowagon
maybe try hr springs?

the wheel arch in the front looks to be a little bigger than the rear ... is it ur eye's playing tricks to u? ... try measuring the actual fender heights if u could...
Old 12-07-2003, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
I read H&R's are good but I'm not prepared to change springs since I've only had my Eibachs for a year (10K Km) and I need new shocks anyway. If that doesn't work out I may consider chopping the springs but that'll be a last resort.

I have been told the wheel archesbeing higher in the front does give a little bit of an illusion and have been telling myself that for the past year. But the issue is, it looks odd no matter if the car is in fact level or not. Most lowered E's I've seen have very little fender gap in the front and that is the look I'm trying to achieve. I haven't physically measured the car yet but I'm sure with less fender gap than I have up front (I now have about 2 finger widths), the car will end up being lower on the front - which is the way most lowered E's are and the look I want. Thanks for the help tho' Steve, the link below has some pix of my ride - may be you can tell me whether its an illusion or not:

Pix of My W210 and More

Last edited by Whitey; 12-07-2003 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
For the benefit of others, another W210 member has used H&R springs with Bilstein sports shocks with the same result as me i.e. his front seems higher than it should be. Nonetheless, he swears by the ride of the setup. He chose to raise is rear with a thicker pad but I would prefer to have less fender gap up front.......
Old 12-07-2003, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Whitey, it looks pretty level to me. The W203s has more gap in the front and my 323Ci was the same.