Wheels, Tires, Suspension & Brakes Forum Discuss wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your Mercedes-Benz.
Need wheels & tires? Checkout the MBWorld Marketplace and support your forums!

Can steering rack screwed up because of Coilover and driving hard??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2003, 02:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 C200 Kompressor, 02 C32 AMG
Can steering rack screwed up because of Coilover and driving hard??

I've got H&R Coilover fitted in my car W203, last week I drove my car quite hard thru twisties and long sweepers. The car handled great. I didn't hit any potholes when I drove her hard.
A few days later I notice this knocking sound when I run thru potholes and the steering wheel kinda felt a bit shaky. I didn't hear the knocking sound all the time but enough to make me worry so I brought the car where I got the H&R CO installed and the guy said that my steering rack was kinda screwed cos I lowered the car too low ( I can fit about 1 finger on the front between the front tyres and the fender) and from hard driving.

Now my question is can the steering rack be screwed up because of that?...i drove the car back from the suspension shop for a good 3 hours thru potholes and road imperfections and I can't hear/feel the knocking sound anymore. What else can cause the knocking sound??.

If it is infact the steering rack is screwed how come I can't feel it all the time?? ... I might have to put my original suspension back and claim it under MB warranty....You think they'll notice that I've changed the suspension??...

Any input will be much appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-26-2003, 05:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1996 C36 AMG, 1995 Volvo 850 Turbowagon
usually when the steering rack goes ... ur steering should feel a bit numb or requires more input than usual...

a far shot...but is ur setting too low? asking cause sometimes if the springs are extended too far...they can move around if they are not supported by helper springs...
Old 12-28-2003, 06:28 AM

01 C200 Kompressor, 02 C32 AMG
Thanks for the feedback STeve...much appreciated ...

My setting is not too low I think but the installer reckon that the car is a bit too low (I still can lower her for another 15mm front and back).....My steering seems to be as normal, I couldn't notice any numbness from the steering.

I think I'll get a second opinion from another suspension shop as to what might have caused that knocking/rattling sound from the front suspension, altho it hasn't happened again for the last few days...